The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 28, 2018, 10:15 AM   #51
HiBC

Oni, you have made a reasonable statement.
As I said earlier,folks conjure up different ideas about what "armed teachers" means.
It all gets spun into a set of talking points canned arguments, and fears.
When I was in High School,(maybe junior high?) my state of Colorado passed a law requiring a Hunter Safety card to get a hunting license. There was not yet an infrastructure for the training,so it was decided that ALL students would get Hunter Safety training and a card as part of their public education,for a time.Firing a .22 was part of the class.
IMO,it was a good thing. Its good to dispel fear and ignorance.Its good for anyone to gain an awareness of firearm safety.No one was required to hunt.
I doubt it would ever happen,but,IMO,for the teachers to get a very basic equivalent of that Hunter Safety course to dispel fear and ignorance would be good.I agree,its a BAD idea to pressure someone to be armed....but where did that idea come from? I have never heard anyone suggest teachers be pressured to be armed. Does that idea have any foundation in reality?
I don't think so.Its hyperbole.

I have never heard anyone suggest teachers should replace armed security guards ,receive training in clearing buildings ,etc.
IMO,the teacher needs to stay with the kids.

In Colorado,there is a "FASTER Program" to help give teachers skills to handle school shooter scenarios. A significant part of that training is about helping a gunshot victim stay alive. Folks have died who could have been saved .
Here is a URL
http://fastersaveslives.org/

Last edited by HiBC; April 28, 2018 at 10:24 AM.
Old April 28, 2018, 02:10 PM   #52
dajowi

Armed teachers sound like a great idea. Maybe.

The 1st time an armed teacher kills a bad guy they'll be a hero.
The 1st time an armed teacher kills a good guy they'll be a zero.
Old April 28, 2018, 05:16 PM   #53
Sharkbite

Just abolish the “gun free zone” stupidity and let water seek its own level. Those that have an interest in carrying will, those that dont..wont.

An added bonus to that approach is those of us with kids in school dont have to leave our guns at home when going to pick up little Johnnie or when going tonhis school play.

Instant fix.
Old April 28, 2018, 09:07 PM   #54
turkeestalker

Quote:
Just abolish the “gun free zone” stupidity and let water seek its own level.
Far too simple to satisfy some and wreaking of common sense... pity but it's not gonna happen at this go around.
Old April 30, 2018, 10:09 AM   #55
TailGator

To me it comes down to this: Are we and the people around us safer because we are armed and capable of mounting resistance to assault? If so, why is the answer different for someone in the teaching profession?

I have said this before, but it is pertinent to repeat it in this thread because of the way the discussion has gone: I spent fifteen years as a volunteer in the local schools, nine of them at a high school. I was there so much that there were teachers who asked me how I got out of faculty meetings, not realizing that I wasn't employed there. In addition to spending countless hours with students in the school, I also traveled extensively with them. It was very frustrating to know that at the moments when I had the greatest responsibility, I was required to disarm. I loved those kids. I would have taken a bullet for them if I needed to, but I would have had a better chance of helping if I had been allowed to carry a firearm.

Not all teachers should be armed, but I know for a fact that in the schools where I worked, there were teachers who felt like I did about their - our - students. Denying them a means to defend the kids they love does not contribute to school safety - it harms it immeasurably.
Old May 1, 2018, 08:16 AM   #56
Sure Shot Mc Gee

No one was hurt. Happen else where's i.e. other than a school. A Police matter. Not the schools business. ~~lax of being responsible as I see this thread.~~ Suspend the individuals C/C permit for the balance of time remaining on current permit w/court fine ($) "Teach the teacher a lesson. No sleeping at the throttle aloud when carrying a gun."
Old May 2, 2018, 01:46 PM   #57
Don P

Reading comprehension 101 folks
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.