The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 1, 2018, 07:02 PM   #51
1MoreFord

From little to larger:

Seecamp .32
Ruger LCP
Sig P290RS 9mm
Sig P250 Compact 9mm
Sig P250 Full .45

Since I work for an unfriendly, with regards to weapons, company I don't carry much these days. The 290 is my normal carry and the newly acquired 250's are for heavier days. The .45 is my version of a car gun. Locked away in a lock box for a heavier gun to retrieve if needed.

If and when the Sig P365 becomes trustworthy I see getting one of them for normal carry.

As others have mentioned all of these are all point and shoot. No safeties. I'm not adverse to safeties though. The 2 P250's retired a Browning HP and a 1911. I've shot 1911's so much I swipe off imaginary safeties.
Old July 1, 2018, 07:14 PM   #52
2wheelwander

Cold weather, hoodie, over shirt I carry a Mod 2 .45
Most carried is a CZ PCR in an Alien Gear IWB
When I was a smaller foot print its an SP-101, leather rig.
REALLY small foot print its a Smith Airweight .38 in a pocket DeSanti's holster. But I gotta have bigger pockets to fit it

Used to carry a CZ 85 or a Beretta model 84. Still liked carrying that pistol but its so nice its been shelved.
Old July 9, 2018, 07:35 PM   #53
Tactical Jackalope

Mine is the SIG Sauer P229 chambered in 9mm.

AIWB for places I can and cannot carry. When I have to conceal carry but with a tucked shirt, I still have the option with my tuckable holster to carry my P229 concealed.

I carry it OWB at gigs where I can and seldom carry strong-side anymore as I sold my back up gun (Smith and Wesson 360PD) and got one that I'm much less fond of (Smith and Wesson Bodyguard 380).

Used to do strong side with the primary and appendix with the secondary.

Anyway, yes. The SIG P229 is the one for me. Even in my hot and humid climate that feels like walking through a hot bowl of soup.
Old July 10, 2018, 07:44 PM   #54
M88

ONE gun so you're always familiar with it

As stated in another post, since I often have to cross the river from PA into NJ or down into MD, I don't carry every day. Neither of those states, nor NY to the north of me, recognizes my CC permit. In fact, in NJ it's a $1000 fine PER hollow point bullet you are caught in possession of, along with the felony. Even if I don't plan on going East or South crossing state borders, when I'm out and about things come up and IF I'm carrying that day, I'm in a bind. When I do carry it's ALWAYS the little Sig P938 in 9mm. Summer, Winter... no matter, I like how concealable it is even in summer shorts and T-shirt and how it doesn't cramp my style sitting/ driving as some of my larger guns do concealed. I also agree with the premise that if you carry several guns, there is always the chance, especially in a stressful seconds count situation, that you forget which gun you have, and what to do with it for it to go bang. I'm used to my sig, I know exactly how it feels every time I pull it out so it becomes second nature if I ever have to use it.
Old July 11, 2018, 10:21 AM   #55
mlk18

My primary carry guns include S&W M&P M2.0 Compact, S&W Shield PC, Ruger LCP Custom, and S&W 642 Pro. I shoot and train with all of them often and carry them based on what I am wearing or have going on that day. Much of the time I am carrying more than one. The Shield/LCP combo is probably my most frequent pairing.

Muscle memory is a real thing and I can help save your life, but so is manual of arms adaptability. So I train with many different guns with varying manuals of arms. Which brings you back to muscle memory.
Old July 11, 2018, 11:50 AM   #56
pete2

Mine is a 642 revolver. Fits in nearly any pocket. I have an LC9, 2 lightweight Commanders and a G19. I may carry a Commander at some point and I may consider the G19 if I put a safety on it. The LC9 will fit in a pants pocket but I can't draw it from a pocket. If I'm gonna use a holster I'd rather carry a Commander.
Old July 11, 2018, 01:31 PM   #57
RickB

I believe in the theory of always carrying a gun with the same manual of arms.

90% of the rounds I've fired in my lifetime have been through 1911s starting cocked and locked, so I've always carried a gun of that type.

When I was shopping for a compact 9mm, I tried the Walther PPS, handled a friend's S&W Shield, mulled the Springfield XDs, but ended up getting a SIG P938, which operates just like ol' familiar.

I don't think changing to a safety-less, striker-fired gun would get me killed, but I'd choose a DA revolver over a DA/SA auto.
Old July 11, 2018, 02:30 PM   #58
gwpercle

One Gun.

Beware the man with one gun because he probably knows how to use it.

I practice often , know it intimately and can shoot it well.
Old July 11, 2018, 02:44 PM   #59
aarondhgraham

I give up,,,
What does CCDW stand for?

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old July 11, 2018, 02:56 PM   #60
stephen426

There is a lot to be said for familiarity with your carry weapon if the proverbial poop hits the fan. That is why people forget to switch off safeties or empty mags and fail to hit their target. I'd say this is much more likely if the guns are very different in terms of grip angles and safeties. For me, I prefer no active safeties. I carried a Glock 26 for a while, switched to a Kahr PM9 for size, and then to a Glock 43 for the trigger. I do practice with different guns because I enjoy shooting them, but I always try to practice more with my carry gun.
Old July 11, 2018, 03:18 PM   #61
RickB

Quote:
Concealed Carry Defensive Weapon?
I'm familiar with CCW, Concealed Carry Weapon, and EDC, Every Day Carry.
Old July 11, 2018, 09:13 PM   #62
KY_blkout

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarondhgraham View Post
I give up,,,

Aarond

Sorry here in Kentucky that's what the state calls concealed carrying. But it stands for Concealed to Carry Deadly Weapon
Old July 12, 2018, 09:27 AM   #63
rodfac

Hate to admit it, but...I use several handguns for CC purposes....clothing choices and the anticipated travel environment determine which get to go for a ride. But I do think RickB's suggestion, "I believe in the theory of always carrying a gun with the same manual of arms." is a far better idea if TSHTF.

All but the 1911, below, have the same manual of arms for at least the first shot...a long DA trigger pull.

In town = S&W M60 .357 or a Sig M11A1 or P225 in a Three Persons Open Top OWB
In the city = Sig 1911 RCS .45 in a Askins Avenger OWB (52 years of carrying this one, mitigates against using the same type of manual of arms idea.)
Clothing limited = S&W Bodyguard 380 or the M60 in pocket or an OWB
Farm = whatever I'm shooting for the day and just for the joy of it!

Best regards, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; July 12, 2018 at 09:36 AM.
Old July 14, 2018, 08:45 AM   #64
peacefulgary

My Ruger LCP is definitely my go-to-no-matter-what everyday carry handgun.
But lately my Glock 43 is looking better and better.
Old July 16, 2018, 08:21 PM   #65
mgulino

My concealed carry weapon is a Springfield XD in 9mm for the capacity. In the woods, I carry a GP100 in .357.