The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 10, 2017, 11:23 PM   #1
TruthTellers

Which Ruger .327 revolver to get

I've had a .327 wheelgun on my short list for a while now, but I've been holding off on buying one because I figured some time in the near future Ruger would come out with a 3inch LCRx chambered in it. I still think Ruger will do it and am willing to wait for it if I feel it's the best .327 revolver to get.

OTOH, Ruger already has the Single Seven and SP101 available in .327 and I've had the SP at the top of my list for a while. I like that it's a DA with a swing out cylinder and has a 4 inch barrel, but I've heard and personally experienced the poor triggers that the SP line suffers from.

The Single Seven, were I to get one, it would be the 5.5 inch model. I'm not too hot on the SS tho as I already have a single action .32 and I would rather have a swing out cylinder.

I'm not interested in the snub LCR at this point in time.

I'm wondering about the inevitable future 3 inch LCRx revolvers tho. When I read and watched the reviews for the new .22 LCRx, every single reviewer made the same remark about how the revolver is so light, it doesn't want to stay on target during aiming. I'm wondering if this will also affect the steel frame LCRx's that the .357 and .327 Magnums are built on. Obviously, since they're steel, they'll be heavier, but will they be heavy enough to hold on the target?

If I do get an SP101, how much would a trigger job cost?
Old September 11, 2017, 02:12 AM   #2
stormyone

I find it hard to believe that people are having trouble keeping the .22 lcrx on target.
I have an LCR 9mm. It can be snappy, but it's manageable.
You don't mention your past revolver history, but why do you think the SP101 would even need a trigger job? I like mine. Dry fire it a couple thousand times helps a lot.
Old September 11, 2017, 07:52 AM   #3
smee78

I'm right there with ya, I am holding out for a LCRX 327 and would love a 3" barrel. I think this would be a great all around carry/trail gun and the added bonus of the extra calibers would be great. I already have a Single Six and SP101 in 32 H&R so those bases are covered for me.
Old September 11, 2017, 08:05 AM   #4
Model12Win

I wish they made the SP101 in .327 again, the 3" jobbie, not the oversized 4.2" jobbie.
Old September 11, 2017, 08:17 AM   #5
NINEX19

I am also waiting for the LCRx to come in 3" for the .327 Mag.

To your question. I own both the SP101 and the Single 7 in .327. Both are great guns (though I personally get a bit more enjoyment out of the single 7).

My SP101 trigger was good except for being heavy. However, a $9 spring kit https://www.midwayusa.com/product/12...it-ruger-sp101 , will turn it into a great trigger. I forget what poundage I settled on, but it was not the lightest since I was getting light strikes with that one.
Old September 11, 2017, 12:37 PM   #6
FrankenMauser

As you know, I own four and have shot another.
The GP100 has the best trigger.
The SP101 (4.2") supplanted the GP as my favorite, even with the heavy trigger pull.
The LCR gets carried regularly.
And the Blackhawk just sits around looking pretty. It's too heavy to be much more than a paper puncher. If I'm going to be carrying that much weight, I opt for one of the .44s or the .480.

LCRx .327...
Sounds great on paper, and I wouldn't mind one.
But that light frame isn't going to be pleasant to plink with.
The LCRx, in my opinion, is a defensive weapon adapted to have the option for single action fire. I don't think it would be a good "fun gun" or range toy.
Reserve the LCR/LCRx for 'business'. Use the others for pleasure.

As for the .22 LR LCRx being 'difficult' to keep on target for some people...
There may be some truth to it. The rimfire and .327 Federal variants of Ruger's revolvers use heavier main/hammer springs to ensure ignition.
That doesn't mean that the people don't have poor technique, or need don't more practice. It just means that the trigger pull is, in fact, heavier.
Old September 11, 2017, 12:54 PM   #7
TruthTellers

I don't doubt the GP100 has the better trigger compared to the SP101, everyone says that, but I don't see the point of trading a 30 oz, relatively compact revolver in the SP for a 40oz clunker that has one more round and a better trigger in the GP.

I view the GP100 as a great .357 platform and a good .44 Special platform.

I think a 3 inch LCRx in .327 would make for a top notch defensive revolver so long as it's not so light it can't stay on target. Even if that is the case, at 5 to 15 yards, the extra velocity the longer barrel creates over the snub LCR turns the .327 into a formidable cartridge.
Old September 11, 2017, 01:00 PM   #8
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
Even if that is the case, at 5 to 15 yards, the extra velocity the longer barrel creates over the snub LCR turns the .327 into a formidable cartridge.
Actually, I was a little disappointed in the velocity gain that I got with my 3" LCRX over the 1 7/8" LCRX with the Buffalo Bore +P outdoorsman.
Out of the 1 7/8 I got 1027, and out of the 3" I got 1076, so only a gain of 50 fps with the 158 grain HC bullet. Maybe a lighter bullet would have increase more?
Better to do testing to find out. And at 15 yards, I am shooting almost identical size groups with either gun double action.
Old September 11, 2017, 01:23 PM   #9
Armybrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model12Win View Post
I wish they made the SP101 in .327 again, the 3" jobbie, not the oversized 4.2" jobbie.
Very much that, and with fixed sights!
Old September 11, 2017, 02:12 PM   #10
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I think a 3 inch LCRx in .327 would make for a top notch defensive revolver so long as it's not so light it can't stay on target. Even if that is the case, at 5 to 15 yards, the extra velocity the longer barrel creates over the snub LCR turns the .327 into a formidable cartridge.

The "snubbie" .327 LCR launches factory loads between 1,200 and 1,300(+) fps.
The jump to 3" gains you no more than 200 fps with the hottest loads (up to 1,500 fps - and some change, in a fast barrel).

If it isn't formidable at 1,250 fps, that extra 200 fps with the longer barrel isn't going to magically transform it into the 10th wonder of the world.

It takes notably more barrel to really get into "night and day" comparisons. For that, you need at least a 5.5" barrel.
Out of the 5.5" Blackhawk, on a hot day with warm ammo, I've clocked the 100 gr American Eagle load at more than 1,700 fps. A few guys with 7.5" barrels have claimed up to 1,800 fps.

The same load leaves my "snubbie" LCR at 1,311 fps under similar circumstances (possibly more exaggerated circumstances, since the gun is black and gets hotter in the sun).
There's a decent difference between 1,700 and 1,300.
But I don't think 1,300 to 1,500 is a worthy gain for a defensive handgun with this cartridge. It's already doing 1,300 fps. If that isn't good enough, then you probably need a bigger bullet (larger diameter cartridge).

Then again, on velocity claims...
I've seen claims of the 5.5" barrel only clocking 1,450 fps and the 7.5" barrel barely breaking 1,500 fps with the 100 gr AE load.
You never know what you'll get until you try it.

Given the disparity of some of the data out there, and assuming it's correct: It might be possible to get a "snubbie" LCR that launches the 100 AE at 1,325 fps, and a mythical 3" LCRx that only pops the cork at 1,250 fps, simply due to 'good' vs 'bad' barrels and cylinders...
Old September 11, 2017, 03:28 PM   #11
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighValleyRanch View Post
Actually, I was a little disappointed in the velocity gain that I got with my 3" LCRX over the 1 7/8" LCRX with the Buffalo Bore +P outdoorsman.
Out of the 1 7/8 I got 1027, and out of the 3" I got 1076, so only a gain of 50 fps with the 158 grain HC bullet. Maybe a lighter bullet would have increase more?
Better to do testing to find out. And at 15 yards, I am shooting almost identical size groups with either gun double action.
.327 is different from .357 in that it is a much higher pressure cartridge. The higher pressure and lighter bullet make just an inch longer barrel increase the velocity that much in that particular cartridge.

And barrel cylinder gap also is a major factor.
Old September 11, 2017, 03:55 PM   #12
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser View Post

The "snubbie" .327 LCR launches factory loads between 1,200 and 1,300(+) fps.
The jump to 3" gains you no more than 200 fps with the hottest loads (up to 1,500 fps - and some change, in a fast barrel).

If it isn't formidable at 1,250 fps, that extra 200 fps with the longer barrel isn't going to magically transform it into the 10th wonder of the world.

It takes notably more barrel to really get into "night and day" comparisons. For that, you need at least a 5.5" barrel.
Out of the 5.5" Blackhawk, on a hot day with warm ammo, I've clocked the 100 gr American Eagle load at more than 1,700 fps. A few guys with 7.5" barrels have claimed up to 1,800 fps.

The same load leaves my "snubbie" LCR at 1,311 fps under similar circumstances (possibly more exaggerated circumstances, since the gun is black and gets hotter in the sun).
There's a decent difference between 1,700 and 1,300.
But I don't think 1,300 to 1,500 is a worthy gain for a defensive handgun with this cartridge. It's already doing 1,300 fps. If that isn't good enough, then you probably need a bigger bullet (larger diameter cartridge).

Then again, on velocity claims...
I've seen claims of the 5.5" barrel only clocking 1,450 fps and the 7.5" barrel barely breaking 1,500 fps with the 100 gr AE load.
You never know what you'll get until you try it.

Given the disparity of some of the data out there, and assuming it's correct: It might be possible to get a "snubbie" LCR that launches the 100 AE at 1,325 fps, and a mythical 3" LCRx that only pops the cork at 1,250 fps, simply due to 'good' vs 'bad' barrels and cylinders...
I think the issue with the Single Sevens is indeed related to the barrel cylinder gap. When I look at the data from ballisticsbytheinch, the velocity for the .327 is continually increasing from a longer barrel and the way they test velocities is from a closed barrel, not a revolver with a gap.

But I disagree that with a 100 grain bullet going 1500 fps, which would be about 500 ft/lbs, is somehow less desirable than 1300 fps, which is about 375 ft/lbs.
Old September 11, 2017, 04:12 PM   #13
dgludwig

Quote:
But I disagree that with a 100 grain bullet going 1500 fps, which would be about 500 ft/lbs, is somehow less desirable than 1300 fps, which is about 375 ft/lbs.
I agree with your disagreement; the ballistic difference you quote is a significant advantage for any smaller revolver being carried for self-defense.
Old September 11, 2017, 06:29 PM   #14
jetinteriorguy

I haven't had the urge to own a Ruger revolver since I traded my .41 mag Blackhawk in on my Model 57 in the early 80's. But, I would love to try an SP101 with a 3" barrel in .327 magnum with the six round cylinder. Despite the reported bad triggers, I'm sure they can be worked into a decent trigger if you want. I think this would make a sweet carry revolver, I'd love to get back to carrying a revolver versus a semi, but I just can't do 5 rounds. Even better would be something along the lines of an L frame size with 7 rounds of .327 mag.
Old September 11, 2017, 10:38 PM   #15
FrankenMauser

Quote:
If the additional energy is just going into the wall or tree behind your target, it is a waste.

...And I will leave it at that.

If go further, we'll end up broaching the subject of energy figures being a terrible data point for comparison. And that's a can of worms that doesn't belong here. It's been hashed out 100 times before, and always ends with a locked thread.
Old September 12, 2017, 04:15 PM   #16
dgludwig

Quote:
...And I will leave it at that.

If go further, we'll end up broaching the subject of energy figures being a terrible data point for comparison.
So you disagree with TruthTellers "truth" as he sees it, so end of discussion...? I certainly don't see why even "broaching" a ballistic reality (comparing energy figures) is such a "terrible data point". But I do try to keep an open mind and I usually appreciate other points of view even though, if at least initially, I might be in disagreement.
Old September 12, 2017, 04:29 PM   #17
dgludwig

Quote:
Reserve the LCR/LCRx for 'business'. Use the others for pleasure.
That's certainly how I see it. I would like to see an LCR, with its concealed hammer, available with a 3" barrel-but that's probably never going to happen.
Old September 12, 2017, 09:16 PM   #18
FrankenMauser

Quote:
So you disagree with TruthTellers "truth" as he sees it, so end of discussion...? I certainly don't see why even "broaching" a ballistic reality (comparing energy figures) is such a "terrible data point". But I do try to keep an open mind and I usually appreciate other points of view even though, if at least initially, I might be in disagreement.
No, not at all.
I simply don't want to be the impetus for this thread veering off in a different direction. I was trying to respect TT and the forum, by avoiding the thread derailment.

I do understand how your interpretation arose, however.
Old September 12, 2017, 09:47 PM   #19
TruthTellers

Alright, time to put this thread back on track.

Better revolver? 5.5 inch Single Seven or 4.2 inch SP101?
Old September 13, 2017, 05:20 PM   #20
dgludwig

Which is "better"? All depends on what you want it for.
Old September 14, 2017, 09:53 AM   #21
deserted

I have the 7.5" S7. But I've been carrying the 4.62" one since I got it in May. Haven't shot anything with the Marlin 1894CB by Ranger Point Precision (thank you fellers) in .327 but I carry it on my daily walks just for the upper body exercise. I carried a SA Colt .22 for forty years, replaced it with a S6 in .32H&R in 2010, the long S7 two years ago, and the shorter one this spring. I have rarely fired a .22 since. A hot .327 on a .22 frame does everything I need a handgun to do on a daily basis. Or rifle, for that matter. I love it. Great cartridge.
Old September 14, 2017, 11:25 AM   #22
Dan-O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
Very much that, and with fixed sights!
Yeah. Bring back the 3" SP in .327 with fixed sights.
Old September 15, 2017, 09:11 PM   #23
Armybrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-O View Post
Yeah. Bring back the 3" SP in .327 with fixed sights.
Ruger already has made them in that configuration? Dang, missed that one.
Old September 15, 2017, 09:56 PM   #24
TruthTellers

I'm just going to get the SP101. I'm seeing it's available for less than the Single Seven, probably because Ruger makes more and it's in higher demand.
Old September 16, 2017, 02:43 AM   #25
FrankenMauser

Unless it's a lemon, I don't think you'll be disappointed.