The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 12, 2020, 09:33 PM   #1
KyleWoods35

Lyman Ideal press dimensions

I'm looking into upgrading my old Lee press with a more sturdy Lyman Ideal press. Would anybody with this press be able to give me the dimensions of the base? (base size and hole locations). Could I also get the vertical distance from the table top to the ball on the handle when the ram is all the way up? Thanks for any help!
Old January 12, 2020, 10:49 PM   #2
Marco Califo

https://www.lymanproducts.com/brass-smith-ideal-press

Lyman has the most reliable information about their products. You may need to call them or email you specific question. They do have that info available, even if not on the website.
I take it that this is your first press. I have had a Lyman turret for years, and updated it when the the 30 yo one was damaged moving. I do not like those open C type presses. I think you can do all the same things with the Lee breech lock hand press. And not worry about
mounting dimensions. The hand press has been used for pistol calibers and 223. Military 308 will require more leverage.
When you are ready for a bench mounted press, you need a bench, and I would recommend a mount system like Inline Fabrication makes. They also have a swap-out feature, so you can you can use all your presses on the same mount at different times.
The C press will work. So, will the Lee hand press.
My first press was a Lyman turret purchased as the Kit, which provided almost everything needed.
Lyman makes a Universal mount, that allows more clearance, and they also sell plates for it for different presses. I would keep in mind that whatever you attach it to has to be sturdy. I have a Redding O type Boss press That I mounted to a tree trunk log stood on end. It actually works and provides adequate leverage. It will be replaced with the Iline mount on my new bench.

Last edited by Marco Califo; January 13, 2020 at 07:48 PM.
Old January 13, 2020, 08:44 AM   #3
wild willy

Width 4 1/2" depth 3 1/4" The front bolt holes are 1" back to center. From the side and rear the holes are in 5/8" to center.The bottom of the ball is about 10 1/2" below the bench top.I had the Lee C press for years the Lyman is a much better press well worth the extra money.The only issue I had when new the casting seams on the side arms rubbed on the bottom of the base A couple seconds with a file fixed that.Much smoother very little play in the ram compared to the Lee.
Old January 13, 2020, 09:44 AM   #4
KyleWoods35

Thank you willy for the dimensions.

Marco, thank you also for the input. Lyman's website does not give the information I was after, hence my post. Also, I do have a reloading bench, I am just looking into replacing my old Lee press.
Old January 13, 2020, 03:43 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

Keep it as a second or pre-operation press. For example, put a Lee Universal Decapping die in it to knock all your primers out before cleaning so you can clean grit off for resizing and get some of the loose primer fouling out at the same time.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 13, 2020, 04:36 PM   #6
KyleWoods35

I actually do exactly that right now, however my bench size is not conducive to having two presses. Plus I don't reload a huge volume so it's not that big of a deal to swap dies.
Old January 13, 2020, 04:46 PM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

Have you considered Lee's swappable bench plates? I see they are out of stock at Midway but are about $20 they're when in stock. Midsouth has stock for $21.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle