The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 14, 2010, 05:14 AM   #1
FullCry

Lee loader input?

Hey, can some of you veterans give me the pro's and cons of the Lee Pro 1000 verus the Lee Loadmaster. I realize the 1000 cost less and you have to buy less to start loading but need more info on the two. Thanks for any replies, FullCry
Old January 14, 2010, 01:09 PM   #2
farmall

Welcome to TFL FullCRy.

I can't speak for the Loadmaster's, but I use the Pro-1000's with complete satisfaction. Are you new to reloading? What calibers do you want to reload?
Neither is suited for small batch or developmental loading.

One question you have to ask yourself, to successfully run a Pro-1000, is, "do I have good mechanical aptitude"? These presses require tinkering and a fair ammount of "Zen" to make run well. THe are also intolerant of any abuse.

There ain't no free lunch. If you want to save money and don't mind tinkering a bit, you'll probably be just fine. If you are the impatient type, you might be better served by another, more expensive brand.

Andy
Old January 14, 2010, 01:27 PM   #3
Doby45

The advantage to the LM over the Pro 100 is the 5th station, and thats about it. I got my LoadMaster because I wanted to seat in one station and use the FCD in the 5th station. I love my LoadMaster and would not exchange it for any other loader. It does have it's little quirks, just like any other press. With my LoadMaster I do the following in each station:

1. Universal deprimer
2. Resize and prime
3. Case expansion and powder drop
4. Bullet seat
5. Factory Crimp

Then finally I have a complete cartridge fall into my little collection bin. One pull, one cartridge.
Old January 14, 2010, 01:40 PM   #4
Nate1778

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmall
Neither is suited for small batch or developmental loading.

One question you have to ask yourself, to successfully run a Pro-1000, is, "do I have good mechanical aptitude"? These presses require tinkering and a fair ammount of "Zen" to make run well. THe are also intolerant of any abuse.

There ain't no free lunch. If you want to save money and don't mind tinkering a bit, you'll probably be just fine. If you are the impatient type, you might be better served by another, more expensive brand.

+1

I have a Loadmaster, and I love it, it cranks out ammo with the best of them, but I must reiterate one must be mechanically inclined to own one. One must follow the instructions at Loadmaster Zone and not the ones in the box. The Loadmaster is like a woman, you start off cocky and full of your ability to satisfy her. She then breaks you down to a shadow of your former self. Then as you begin to understand her, and learn her ways she rewards you with great blessings. It will be a relationship once she is purring.
Old January 14, 2010, 07:11 PM   #5
FullCry

Thanks a lot. I just don't want to load one at a time and don't want to spend the money on a more expensive loader. I have loaded shot gun shells one at a time for years and have grown tired of that.
I do have the patience's to take my time and learn how to use the machine plus reading all the material and studying it as much as I need to. I worked on Honda cars for ten years at a dealership and had to do a lot of tedious work. I have friends that would also buy ammo from me which I will add. I can afford the Pro 1000 and may go with it. Do they use the same Lee die sets as that single stage popular kit you can buy? Thanks all for the input...well while i'm at it how many rounds an hour could I load with a single stage press when I got accustomed to it? Thanks for all the help on this post and all of my other ones. I'm learning and trying to decide what to get and use the advice of you experienced reloaders. FullCry
Old January 14, 2010, 07:38 PM   #6
Nate1778

You could expect roughly 50 rounds an hour on a single stage. I recommend a good manual on reloading like the ABC's of reloading or Lee's reloading manual before you make any purchase. You also need to consider the legalities of selling ammo without the proper licensing and insurance.
Old January 14, 2010, 10:09 PM   #7
farmall

FullCry,

If you turned wrenches for 10 years I'd wager a guess you would do OK with the Pro-1000. Both it and the Loadmaster take standard dies. I'd caution that if you are new to metallic cartridge loading, to buy a single stage to start. There is alot going on with a progressive press, and you need to stay on top of it all, in order to make safe, reliable ammo. Not at all saying you can't start with a progressive, just that to me, it would not be ideal.

As far as selling reloads, I'd pass that idea up. Too much liability.

Andy
Old January 14, 2010, 10:57 PM   #8
FullCry

10-4, I agree with the single stage press after this discussion and I won't be selling any ammo. I didn't know one had to have licenses and hadn't thought very hard about liability. Thanks again gents , FullCry
Old January 15, 2010, 10:53 AM   #9
Doby45

I started out with the LoadMaster as my first press. You can simply run a single piece of brass through until completion. I did that for my first 100-200rds. If you run it that way it is not much different than your turret presses and it gives your press time to "break in" and get you accustom to the operation of it.

I recently did purchase a single stage press as it is just really nice to have a single stage sometimes.

Either way you will not go wrong if you enjoy reloading. Regardless of how you start, just get a good manual and go from there.
Old January 15, 2010, 12:05 PM   #10
Jim243

FullCry

Get the LoadMaster not the 1000, it is too expensive to change calibers on the 1000. The load master will come with a set of dies, just chose which ones you want. You can get one from MidSouth Shooters Supply for about $239.00.

DO NOT UNDER ANY CONDITIONS SELL AMMO even to friends (not even commercial ammo, you need a FFL to do so). If you want have them buy the components (bullets, cases, powder and primers) and put them together for free for them that's OK.

Jim