The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 8, 2010, 10:06 AM   #1
Patriot78

Need info on hand loading for 30-30, 6.5x55. Beginner

Greetings to all. This is one of my first posts here so bear with me y'all. I have recently caught the shooting-bug and seeing how ammo prices and availabilty have been fluctuating so much in the past year or so, I have decided I want to learn how to reload my own ammo. My first caliber of choice for reloading would be 30-30 since I have two lever actions and the price for this ammo somewhat expensive IMO. My second ammo of choice I would wish to reload would be for my 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser. From the very first I shoot this rifle and found out I could actually reload it to a more accurate/powerful load, I knew I had to reload it myself to see what I could come up with.
What I have been looking at is the CLASSIC LEE LOADER and I would like to hear from y'all as to yay or nay on this option. Would I also need to purchase some other items aside? Should I instead purchase a handloader and die set separtely? What do y'all say?
My other option of ammo to reload down the road would possibly be for my 9mm. That pretty much covers it. I would greatly appreciate any and all feedback.
BTW, I am not one to go out shooting too often. I would only load in cases of extreme scarcity of ammo for these calibers and/or to try my skill at reloading my own and having the satisfaction of being a "do-it-urselfer". Once again, Thank You All.
Old January 8, 2010, 10:33 AM   #2
Jim Watson

For a lever action like the typical .30-30 I would want to be able to full length resize the brass, which the Hit-It-With-A-Hammer Classic Lee Loader does not do. An inexpensive press and proper dies will do you a better job.

The FIRST thing to buy is a book. The ABCs of Handloading is good, and Lee sells their own manual with everything slanted toward their equipment.
Old January 8, 2010, 10:39 AM   #3
Sam06

I can help with the 30-30

As far as loading equipment goes i am not a huge fan of Lee stuff. For what you want to do the Lee will be fine but get a press. Their Die sets and Factory crimp Dies are good.

Powder in the 30-30 is a mater of what your rifle will like. Here are some goods ones to start with: 4895(IMR or H), IMR 3031, Varget, RL#7, H335, Trail Boss for cast bullets or XMP5744.

Primers: Any Large Rifle Primer will be fine, I like CCI or Winchester

Brass: I like Winchester and Hornaday Brass

Bullets: 125 and 130 Gr bullets are nice and shoot flatter than 150's. I like 165gr Cast bullets too. I don't usually shoot 170gr Jacketed bullets but that is just me. Stick with Flat pointed bullets.

Favortie Load in a winchester 94: 125gr Speer on top of 30gr RL#7 for a little over 2600fps. This shoots real good in the Leverguns.

If I was going to get a press I would go with a Rockchucker kit and be done with it. Thats is my advice, most here will disagree with me but again I am not a big fan of Lee Loading tools. Their Dies are ok, not great but serviceable. I happen to use them in 30-30 also. I don't like the way they lock down but I am over it. I reload for about 40 cartridges and the only Lee stuff I have are a few Bullet Moulds and 2 die sets.

Good luck Sam
Old January 8, 2010, 10:47 AM   #4
ka041a

hi patriot78,
i would retire the lee loader, just my opinion. a person can buy a real good reloading kit from all of the manufacturers for less than 300.00 and for a little more you can get a kit with a DIGITAL POWDER SCALE, those balance type scales are somewhat less than accurate, also my opinion. i have quite a few lee dies and they are pretty good plus lee gives you a shell holder with the dies- i like that. but rcbs dies are much nicer. if i had it to do again, i would stick with rcbs. given the cost of ammo you mentioned, you could possibly recoup the cost of the reloading kit in one trip to the firing range.
Old January 8, 2010, 11:03 AM   #5
azar92

I have a Lee Loader in 6.5x55 that was given to me, but I've never used it. So I can't comment on how well they work (or don't work). A lot of it depends on how much you will reload. It sounds as if you don't plan to be a high volume reloader so perhaps you don't want to invest too much money into it.

First thing you buy: One or more manuals. ABC of Reloading is commonly recommended, though I've never read it. Lyman #49 is a good choice for someone starting out. If you think you'll primary use a specific bullet manufacturer I'd grab their book too (Hornady, Nosler, Barnes, etc).

If I were in your shoes, I'd probably look to one of the less expensive single stage Lee presses as a step up from the Lee Loaders. Getting a lee loader for each of the three calibers you mentioned will run you in the neighborhood of $75. ($25 for 6.5x55, $22 each for the other two).

A Lee Challenger anniversary kit runs about $92. You'd still need dies and If you buy the basic Lee FL die sets for rifle, they run about $15 each with the 9mm 3-die set at about $26. That puts you just shy of $150. That's 2x the cost of the Lee Loaders but with the much greater flexibility of a single stage press, a powder measure, a powder scale, etc. Plus, if you end up really enjoying reloading and start doing it more often you'll appreciate having the "full size" single stage press.

You'll also want something to measure your case length for your rifles and something to trim them with when they get too long. Calipers can be had for about $20-$25. A good trimmer doesn't come cheap. Around $65-$80.

The nice thing is, reloading tools are made to last a lifetime. If you decide to ever stop reloading, you can usually sell them for a decent price.
Old January 8, 2010, 11:07 AM   #6
Patriot78

Forget to mention. Opps.

Did I forget to mention, I am SOMEWHAT on a budget? Opps. Sorry y'all. I guess if it would be best to just wait it out and save for the BETTER-STUFF, I could do that since I mentioned in previous post that I am not a often-shooter. I guess I would like to keep it all under $200.00 if possible. This after purchasing all that is needed, from bullets to dies and primers. Thank You All once again.

You beat me to post AZAR92.=EDIT
Old January 8, 2010, 11:13 AM   #7
hickstick_10

You can buy used stuff, usually at any place that sells used guns, easily get in under 200 bucks. Cast bullets keeps the cost down to, plus they work good in a 30 30

Read the stickys at the top of the forum page, and use the search function, youl find ALL of your questions already answered.
Old January 8, 2010, 11:24 AM   #8
Sam06

Thats going to be tough

To do it all for under 200 bucks will be tough. The thing about reloading is you need to get as good a tools as you can. Maybe set aside $$ each month and by the end of a year you will have everything. Remember you get what you pay for. The other thing is some companies make one very good product while their other stuff is not so hot. You can mix and match dies and presses and powder dispensers without a problem. But to get EVERTHING you need to start and do it right I would say $500 is more like it with quality stuff. Remember just 100 bullets, 1# of Powder and 1 brick of primers will set you back almost $100 and that means you have the brass to load.

If I was you I would start getting the equipment a little at time. Look around and sometimes you can find used stuff at Gun shops. A Quality loading press will last longer than you will if cared for. Dies don't wear out too fast either. Then get a good new Powder scale(digital) and some other tools. See the sticky about reloading equipment, it has some good advice.

Good luck
Old January 8, 2010, 12:04 PM   #9
41mag10mm

Ditto on some of your equipment being used. I would look around your area for guns shows as another potential source. From past (bad) experience I can tell you full length sizing of a rifle case can be a chore. A good single stage press from Redding, RCBS or Hornady will serve you for a lifetime as a casual shooter. Another good little tool is an RCBS hand held primer. It uses the same single stage shell holder and you can sit in front of the TV and prime your cases. Oh yeah, you can still get reloading equipment on Ebay even though they don't allow components like bullets and brass. I've run across some really good deals on die sets from Redding which is the top of the line IMHO.
Old January 8, 2010, 12:04 PM   #10
Shorthair

For your Swede, look to improve your loads for accuracy, not power. The 96 isn't as strong a platform as the 98. Many loads have been developed for the round that are intended to be fired in modern rifles but not in the Swede, so use caution when working up a load.
I use a 140 grain Nosler Partition or bulk bullets from Midway for mine, along with 45 grains of IMR 4350 for a very accurate deer cartridge.
Old January 9, 2010, 09:52 AM   #11
N.H. Yankee

As stated I too would go with a one stage press, many can be found at reasonable cost. I have reloaded more 30-30 shells than I care to remember, the lee dies with factory crimp have worked the best for me.

I have had great results with WW748 as far as accuracy and velocity in my Marlin 336, I get 1 1/2 inch 5 shot groups at 100 yards and they chronograph at 2575fps using the Speer 130gr Flatnose.

Other powders I have also had success with: IMR4895 RL15, and the flame thrower BLC2. Out of all the powders I have used which have been many these have worked the best in my 30-30 and WW748 has been my favorite.
Old January 10, 2010, 08:56 PM   #12
Ascham

Great information just started checking out this site. I have a CZ 550 FS on the way in 6.5 so this helps.

Gerry
Old January 10, 2010, 09:37 PM   #13
mrawesome22

No way to do it under $200. The press alone will eat up a lot of that. You will need a press capable of full length sizing those cartridges.
Old January 11, 2010, 01:47 AM   #14
medalguy

My .02 here.... Get an RCBS Rockchucker press. It will FL resize anything you might want to throw at it, and it will last many years. I still use my first Rockchucker I bought probably 30 years ago. Dies can be obtained from many companies, RCBS is good here too. Look on Craig's List for equipment. Sometimes it will pop up. Evilbay is good too but don't get carried away bidding. Gunshows are another source, and gun shops as well. Nothing wrong with good used equipment at all.

If you want new, watch Midway, Cabela's and others. They have discount offers from time to time, and these can really help. Good luck.
Old January 12, 2010, 07:33 PM   #15
Patriot78

Thank you all for the input so far. I guess I'l start saving up for the stuff.
Old January 12, 2010, 07:47 PM   #16
oneounceload

$200?? Half of that will be for components.

For the 6.5, I like 3031 and Sierra bullets. In y Swede carbine, it will shoot 3 shot 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards.

Look for used equipment Craig's List, garage sales, gun-club bulletin boards, etc.

I prefer a balance beam scale over a digital - no batteries, no warm-up period for accuracy, easy to read and less problems with breezes from fans, fluorescent lights, etc.

If you can find some RCBS equipment, you'll have good equipment that will last a long time and perform flawlessly
Old January 12, 2010, 10:36 PM   #17
GeauxTide

Read the new handloaders thread here.
Old January 13, 2010, 02:13 AM   #18
StiveC2007

remember Ebay is your friend, you can find hell of a good deal it you look for it and wait