The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 13, 2019, 08:49 AM   #26
SPEMack618

I sold a heck of a lot of Ruger firearms when Gander Mountain went out of business. Enough so that Ruger sent me an American Predator free in 6.5 Creedmoor.

So, not having any money in the rifle other the $25 transfer fee, I bought the MagPul American Hunter stock, a set of Weaver Grand Slam medium rings, and a Loopy VX-II 4x12x40

At the CMP Range in Talladega it was consistently shooting better than I was out to 300 yards. At 100 yards I was able to get a three shot group in the X ring, almost all overlapping.

I was shooting Hornady 140 Grn ELD Match loads. I think I can work up a load that is a touch mor accurate and see what I can do at 600 yards when I go back in October or so.
Old September 13, 2019, 04:59 PM   #27
kraigwy

Quote:
I was shooting Hornady 140 Grn ELD Match loads. I think I can work up a load that is a touch mor accurate and see what I can do at 600 yards when I go back in October or so.
Try WLR Primes, 42.5 gr RL17, and Sierra 130 Game Changer bullets. I missed the wind on the first shot, the next four were a hair under 4 inches at 684 yards.

Or if you want to try factory ammo try Hornadys 147 grn ELD-Ms

Regardless, cheap rifles can shoot.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old September 15, 2019, 07:39 AM   #28
cw308

The Savage LRP ( Long Range Precision ) in 6.5CM
Old September 16, 2019, 05:39 PM   #29
Chaparral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw308 View Post
The Savage LRP ( Long Range Precision ) in 6.5CM
Yes I have the Savage LRP in 6.5 CM, .243, and .260 Remington. All 3 are awesome. But please don't leave out the Remington Sendero out of your choices. I have 4 Senderos in 308, 25-06, 264 Win Mag, and 300 Win Mag. I reload for all my rifles. Just silly accurate rifles right out of the box. I usually replace my triggers in the Remingtons with Timneys.
Old October 4, 2019, 10:26 AM   #30
hounddog409

Well, my most accurate rifle is a TC venture in 7mm-08

Will put 3 in one hole at 100 yds if i do my part.

And was under $500.

Shoots better than my others than cost 2-3 time that.

Last edited by hounddog409; October 4, 2019 at 10:48 AM.
Old October 9, 2019, 10:51 PM   #31
allenomics

Check out the Remington Model 700 American Hunter. "American Rifleman" magazine has included some impressive statistics about the rifle in its October, 2019 edition.

"...at a distance of 350 yards, managed a four-shot group of just 1.65." "...in the sub-half m.o.a. range." MSRP is $1349.

https://www.remington.com/rifles/bol...merican-hunter
Old October 12, 2019, 08:45 AM   #32
Catchabullet

Christensen Arms is another favorite, they shine in light weight and accuracy.
Old October 13, 2019, 03:10 PM   #33
hounddawg

Almost anything made by Ruger or Savage that does not have a Tupperware stock. 6.5 CM gets my vote of barrel life and shoulder friendliness. I am a Savage guy fan myself but shot a friend's off the shelf Ruger in 6.5 that was a tackdriver. It would hard to go wrong with either as long as it has a wood, aluminum, or composite stock
Old October 13, 2019, 06:57 PM   #34
Don Fischer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hounddog409 View Post
Well, my most accurate rifle is a TC venture in 7mm-08

Will put 3 in one hole at 100 yds if i do my part.

And was under $500.

Shoots better than my others than cost 2-3 time that.
Reminds me of an old and very close friend that's gone now. He had a 30-06 1903 built by Paul Jaeger in 1945. I asked him if it was accurate. "Oh yes. You can drive nails with it if you can hit'em"! I have the rifle but sure do miss Bud!
Old October 21, 2019, 05:29 PM   #35
Ernie Bishop

Most accurate or consistently most accurate...10-20 shot strings are not likely to be a factory rig. Although some are, it is kind of a get lucky or not scenario.
Start with a good action that is easily trued, or go with a custom action and good barrel: Broughton, Brux, Krieger, Bartlein, Lilja, etc...
Choose a good gunsmith!
Figure out what is really important to you in terms of distance and uses.
Many cartridges can give you what you are looking for.
It is a systems approach, that includes you...which may or may not be the weakest link.
Old October 23, 2019, 07:43 AM   #36
Tallest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Bishop View Post
Most accurate or consistently most accurate...10-20 shot strings are not likely to be a factory rig. Although some are, it is kind of a get lucky or not scenario.
Start with a good action that is easily trued, or go with a custom action and good barrel: Broughton, Brux, Krieger, Bartlein, Lilja, etc...
Choose a good gunsmith!
Figure out what is really important to you in terms of distance and uses.
Many cartridges can give you what you are looking for.
It is a systems approach, that includes you...which may or may not be the weakest link.
Serious question...

Do you think all of that is doable for the OP's $2K budget?

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old October 23, 2019, 08:46 AM   #37
Ernie Bishop

Nathan,
I would not start with a 300 WM.
Do you reload?
Is this a fun gun and a hunting/shooting gun or is there a type of competition that you would like to try?
No reason in my opinion to start with an expensive round, shorter throat life, and more recoil.
Especially, for what you want to accomplish.
6.5 Creed is a good option, and will do what you want.
Hornady American Gunner ammo with the 140 BTHP shoots great in about every rig I have tried, if you don't reload. Their match ammo with the 140 grain ELD-M also shoots great and will work awesome for deer/antelope and coyotes/praire dogs.
If you have questions shoot me a email: [email protected]
I am NOT a gunsmith, but I know a lot of them, and good number of folks in the industry. I have helped a lot of people getting their first build done.
It doesn't matter what I think is a good build, my job, will be to help you figure out what you really want.

Tallest,
Yes, or close to it.
Really depends on what he wants to do. He sounds like he is brand new at this. I am guessing he is not really sure what to do
If he goes with a Remington action, and not a custom, there could be considerable savings.
Need to be doing price check of what truing (what a gunsmith defines as truing) cost on a Remmy, and see if that is cheaper than just getting a custom action that doesn't require truing.
Even if it costs a bit more, it is better to wait a little longer and "cry once" and get what you really want instead of compromising, and not being satisfied, which ends up cost you more in the long run.
This being the case if the shooter really knows what he wants in a custom rig or in a comp rig (Especially a comp rig)
I have a side business, and I sell high end front rests, and even a bi-pod that is controlled by a joystick, plus rear bags. They are in such demand that I have a waiting list, with no deposit required to get on it. I have had many customers tell me that they had wished they got on the waiting list...They ended up buying a cheaper rest, used it for awhile and had buyers remorse, and then tried a fellow shooter who had one of our rests. Now they have to wait 6-9 months, plus sell their other rest probably for less than what they paid for it, and now buy a new one.

Now the OP's rifle could probably bought over the counter with like a Tikka or a Remington. With most Remington's, a recrown, bedding job and maybe a stock change while you are at it, and you will have a 1/2" MOA rig or better for 3-shot groups. OP doesn't even list what good groups are. (His parameters are below)
About two months I picked up a new Remington 700 barreled action with trigger (Sendero Taper) with a 8T barrel for $450 on sale. If one picked up a Boy'd's stock (under $200 shipped), and have smith bed it, and add a good solid bottomed brake.
Now I have a rifle that will probably shoot better than a lot of people are capable of. Throw in a good bi-pod, and rear field bag, 20 MOA pic rail, Trigger tech trigger, I even have a scope in mind for $500, and I can fulfill the OP's wish list. Let it be a learning rig for him to determine what he likes, then rebarrel when he toasts the throat.

"10-12 lbs max, $2000 to spend, but ideally under $1500, Not including optics, rests, ammo, reloading, etc
Not a bench only rifle. Might need to hunt varmints/deer with it some
Good 100 yd groups/Deer effectiveness to 500 yds/Varmints to 800 yds
Ring steel or shoot targets to 1000 yds
Probably needs a muzzle brake for recoil control.
Thinking 300 WM or maybe 6.5 Creedmoor."
Old October 23, 2019, 09:06 PM   #38
deadcoyote

I’d split the difference and buy a Tikka in .270 or .30-06, and a Varmint specific rifle. Varmints to 800? That’s real darn far for what typically is a gun chambered in hyper velocity small bore rounds. Are you able to shoot a squirrel or prairie dog from 800 yards?
Old October 24, 2019, 09:51 AM   #39
emcon5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigwy
If I was to start over, looking for a long range target rifle, I'd get a RAP in 6.5 CM, a good scope, and spend the rest of the $2000 on ammo down range learning to shoot it.
I was really looking hard at the RAP, but was wanting a little heavier round, the 7mm-08.

For some stupid reason, Ruger only offers the 7mm-08 in the left handed model of the RAP.
Old October 24, 2019, 10:01 AM   #40
Tallest

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcon5 View Post
I was really looking hard at the RAP, but was wanting a little heavier round, the 7mm-08.

For some stupid reason, Ruger only offers the 7mm-08 in the left handed model of the RAP.
I know! Haha, I emailed them about that, asking if it would/could be released in right hand. Of course, they told me they couldn't say do to disclosure laws. I would buy one in a heart beat.

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old October 24, 2019, 10:38 AM   #41
emcon5

Quote:
I know! Haha, I emailed them about that, asking if it would/could be released in right hand. Of course, they told me they couldn't say do to disclosure laws. I would buy one in a heart beat.
I did too, and got the same ridiculous answer.
Old November 6, 2019, 01:43 PM   #42
emcon5

Followup on this:

Quote:

I noticed the Ruger American Rifle "Go Wild Camo" version had the same specifications as the Ruger American Predator, for barrel length (and threaded), weight, LOP, etc, but makes no mention of "Heavier tapered, threaded barrel" in the description of the RAP.

So I called Ruger customer service and asked them, is the "Go Wild Camo" just an American Predator with different finish? The answer was yes.

The good news is that it is available in 7mm-08, the bad news is that it is ~$80 more expensive.

https://ruger.com/products/americanR...ets/26923.html
Old November 15, 2019, 08:39 AM   #43
Picher

Some have already mentioned Tikka and whether you buy one or not, you should check out several of their models and think carefully about the cartridge you want to use. I like the 7mm-08 and find it very accurate and powerful enough for most North American game, yet recoil and noise are moderate.

I have a Tikka in .223 and find that it's accurate as any of my "tuned" centerfires and it's a joy to carry in the field. The only thing that turned people off in the past was the "backward" safety, but the newest model has that changed and appears to be about the nicest factory rifle (for the money) around. For a "fall" hunting rifle in my area, I'd buy the Stainless model.

JP
Old November 15, 2019, 09:24 AM   #44
Wyosmith

Price is not an indicator of accuracy these days at all.
I have a friend from Nevada who owns two Ruger American he got at Sportsman's Warehouse on sales for very little money. One is a 257 Roberts and one is a 6.5CM Both shoot under 1/2 MOA and the 257 shoots 3/8" fairly regularly.
The Ruger American is often said to be a "budget rifle" yet they shoot as well or better than many rifles costing 10X more.
Old November 15, 2019, 11:59 AM   #45
Don Fischer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyosmith View Post
Price is not an indicator of accuracy these days at all.
I have a friend from Nevada who owns two Ruger American he got at Sportsman's Warehouse on sales for very little money. One is a 257 Roberts and one is a 6.5CM Both shoot under 1/2 MOA and the 257 shoots 3/8" fairly regularly.
The Ruger American is often said to be a "budget rifle" yet they shoot as well or better than many rifles costing 10X more.
Boy isn't this the truth. I have a Mossberg Patriot in 243 I got just to chek them out. It was $299 at Sportsman's in Bend, Ore but had a plastic stock. Hated the stock so went home and ordered a new stock from Mossberg, Seem's it was under $150. Got here and easy switch out, just dropped the barreled action into the wood stock and bolted it down. Worked up some loads with 70gr SMK's and tried them out. Best group was right at 1/2" @ 100yds! I haven't done a thing to the bedding or trigger, it just shoot's. Probably would have done the same thing with the plastic stock but I don't like plastic stock's! $2000 for an accurate rifle? How about $300!
Old November 15, 2019, 12:25 PM   #46
rebs

Kraig How is the recoil with the RAP in 6.5 CM ?
Old November 17, 2019, 10:05 PM   #47
ndking1126

Did you buy anything yet? Noticed this thread was resurrected.

Honestly, looking at your requirements, I thought of a 270 Win. I know traditional wisdom says it's doesn't' have the high BC bullets required to shoot long range, but go to Federal's website and compare the 140 Accubonds in these two cartridges or the 140/6.5 Fusion and the 150/270 Fusion and you'll see the 270 smokes the 6.5. The only downside is a little extra recoil. I suspect somewhere around 800, 900 yards the 6.5 finally surpasses it in some categories when comparing the 140 Accubonds, but it sounds like the 270 will be better in the vast majority of your shooting situations.

I'm not a 6.5 hater.. my precision rifle is a 260 Rem and it's awesome to shoot, but it's hard to argue with the numbers. 270 is a great round. I just built a new hunting rifle with the same basic format as my 260 (Savage action, B&C stock, Shilen match barrel) and I can't wait to shoot it. I won't be upset if it outshoots the 260, lol.

Last edited by ndking1126; November 17, 2019 at 10:11 PM.
Old November 28, 2019, 11:20 AM   #48
Bart B.

What is your definition of "most accurate?"

If rifle receiver stiffness is important for accuracy objectives, note the Winchester 70 receiver is near 3 times as stiff as the Remington 700 and other similar size repeating bolt action round receivers.

The 70's flat surfaces also resist twisting loose in bedding when shooting bullets heavier than 165 grains from excess barreled action torque.

I would get an old Model 70 then have it rebuilt with a new match barrel if a custom made one is wanted. Or get a new one then square up then rebarrel the receiver for epoxy bedding.

Last edited by Bart B.; November 28, 2019 at 12:55 PM.
Old December 1, 2019, 08:54 AM   #49
Bart B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEMack618 View Post
At the CMP Range in Talladega it was consistently shooting better than I was out to 300 yards. At 100 yards I was able to get a three shot group in the X ring, almost all overlapping.
How does any firearm shoot bullets better than we do? What's different further than 300 yards?

All rifles are capable of shooting three shot holes touching or overlapping. How often is what's meaningful.
Old December 1, 2019, 11:18 AM   #50
Don Fischer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B. View Post
How does any firearm shoot bullets better than we do? What's different further than 300 yards?

All rifles are capable of shooting three shot holes touching or overlapping. How often is what's meaningful.
The one that a better shooter shoot's right after us!