The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 12, 2010, 06:44 PM   #1
Longdayjake

Hornady LNL AP problem with primer feed

Okay lets see if you guys can figure this out as I have spent the last three hours on it and it has resulted in some pretty shocking tantrum-like responses.

I have had my LNL ap for about 6 months. I have done a few thousand 9mm with it and about 500 rounds of 6.5 grendel with it. I had a bunch of crimped .223 brass that I picked up at a police range that I decided to run through the sizer and decapper and then swaged them all with a dillon super swager. I did about 1500 of them and got them all polished up.

Now, this is where the problem begins. I got all set up to put primers, powder, and bullets on them and now all the sudden the press has decided that it wants to try and flip the primers inside the feed tube instead of dropping them into the hole for feeding. Naturally this binds up the primer feeder and the only way for me to get to the problem is to unscrew the part with the male thread end. Then, as I'm sure you can imagine, primers spill all over the place. I have tried everything to get it to feed normally again, but it still keeps trying to flip the primers. What the heck has happened and how can I fix it?

Okay so here is a picture of what it looks like after I load one. It binds up, I take off the two tubes, and this is what has happened. It doesn't matter if I have 1 primer or 100 in there it still does this.

Old January 12, 2010, 07:35 PM   #2
Crashbox

When I first got my LNL AP the primer feed shuttle was slightly out of adjustment, causing misfeeds about 20% of the time.

With the ram all the way up, take a close look at the position of the shuttle hole. It should be just beyond (outward-wise from) the tube center. I found that adjusting the brass guide rod outward so the back of the shuttle is even with the very back portion of the guide when the ram is fully up that it is correctly set (at least on mine). It's worth at least a look IMO.

I would also look for burrs or some other debris possibly causing this.

I can't think of anything else...

Just my pair of Lincoln coins, YMMV.
Old January 12, 2010, 08:08 PM   #3
floydster

Read my post on THR.
Thanks, Floyd:barf:
Old January 13, 2010, 12:41 AM   #4
impactco

I also had some burrs on various surfaces including the bottom of the base in which the primer tubes are inserted. I took a sharpening stone and removed them. I also put some graphite in the slot for the shuttle. No issues since.
Old January 13, 2010, 06:31 PM   #5
Longdayjake

FIXED IT!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay so I fixed it. I tried adjusting the Cam Rod and that did not work. So, I got upset enough that I decided that I would try a bubba tactic. I took a drill and slightly widened the hole on the primer slide.. Then I took some steel wool and wrapped it around a drill bit and used it to polish the heck out of everything on the slide as well as the part where the feed tube connects. Now it works better than it ever did. I just loaded up about 350 rounds and not one primer flipped or stalled. Thanks for your help.