The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old April 25, 2006, 03:33 PM   #1
41special

Help! Old Shotgun I.D.

I'm hoping to get lucky here in that someone might recognize this shotgun reciever and help me I.D. it.

I got this in peices from my grandmother after my grandfather died, it has some busted parts, and I'd like to repair it.

1. as far as markings : the top of the barrel is marked

Reinforced Breech
Choke Bored

the serial number is : 35439 it's stamped on the bottom of the reciever

on the right side of the reciever there some marking's I can barely make out but it looks like 00 May 2?0?

I've been looking on the net for something that looks like it, and I found an H&R unknown model with a similar hinge assembly which seems to be unique.

My hinge pin screw etc.. are busted

Also the main spring and trigger spring are flat not spiral.

I also have found some parts diagrams for an Iver Johnson Champion, some of the parts look interchangable, but it's not a Champion.

Thanks,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shotgun1.jpg (224.4 KB, 2084 views)

An old west lawman once said when asked why he carried a .45, "because they don't make a .46"

God created man, Sam Colt made them equal.
Old April 28, 2006, 12:47 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Well, you are right, it is not an H&R or an Iver Johnson. I have no idea what it is. I would not spend any time or money on it. If you can put enough parts together to make it look OK and hang it on the wall, fine. But there is a reason the gun is in parts - it broke and no one could find parts to fix it. I doubt you will be able to, either.

[Edited to remove a link that no longer works.]

The period from roughly 1880 to 1920 was the age of the shotgun. Hundreds of makers, here and abroad, turned out millions of shotguns. Some were beautifully made works of art; others were well made hunting guns; the majority were cheap and poorly made, utilitarian at best, junk at worst, and they have not improved with age. Guns that lack a maker's name are most likely in the last category. There is no collector value; sentimental or heirloom value is another story, but can't be put in dollars.

It is also possible that the gun originally had Damascus barrels, made from strips of iron and steel wrapped around an iron bar and welded together. Guns with that kind of barrel should not be fired.

Sorry not to have better news; if you choose to continue your search for parts, I can only wish you good luck.

Jim

Jim