The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 9, 1998, 07:44 PM   #1
DC Alcantara

Any seasoned or professional loaders care to share the best way to load these bullets so they feed reliably in an HK USP or ParaOrdnance. My bullets are micing at 1.225 because I was steered here by a "gunsmith" but this formula didn't work. I would get 40% failure to chamber after 100-125 rds through a clean gun. I would have to pull back the slide slightly and release to get the round to slide forward. I use Win. 231, beginning load, on a Dillon 550. I can't tell if it is the powder that fouls the chamber and does this or if the bullets are too short. Any ideas from anyone??? Thanks in advance...
DC

------------------

Old December 10, 1998, 11:01 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

First off I have to say that though I've been handgun reloading for about fifteen years I have no experience loading the moly coats. Have you checked how much you're belling the case mouth? Sounds like too much flaring for bullet seating. When you crimp you may be leaving some of the case bulged from the belling.
Cartridge OAL for the 45 ACP is listed in several of my books as 1.275".Though that's not necessarily the case with your particular swc.That's part of the fun of reloading-experimentation, seeing what does and does not work well. Case max. length is listed as.898".
Another option may be the bullet itself. Not sure about the USP (I'm envious BTW) but most 1911 style weapons need some polishing of the feed ramp before they digest anything that does not have a similar ogive(sp) to hardball.

[This message has been edited by fal308 (edited 12-10-98).]
Old December 10, 1998, 03:27 PM   #3
Walt Welch

DCAlcantara; I would like more information about your load. Is it a lead bullet? What is the ogive shape? Are you using standard recoil springs, or reduced power ones? What is OAL of bullet (NOT cartridge). When you start to experience jams, unload your pistol, hold it with the bbl. pointing down, and drop a loaded round in the chamber. Does it slip in easily and completely? Are you using taper or rolled crimp? Does this occur with all magazines? Perhaps I can assist you given additional information. Walt
Old December 12, 1998, 11:22 PM   #4
dundee

DC as I thought about your problem, it seemed as if the cartridges are not riding up the face of the slide. I would bet you have either some sort of burr or roughness on the front of the slide face or extractor. The second possibiliy is your load is just barely enough for a clean gun. Increasing your load to the middle of the range for 231 powder might be all it takes.
I set my OAL for the 45 by trial and error for each bullet type. I disassemble the gun then drop a loaded round into the chamber. I adjust the seating die so the loaded round is just sightly deeper than flush with the hood of the barrel. I am not sure if this will be true with your USP. Good luck.