The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 1, 2019, 04:18 PM   #26
cw308

nino
using the uniformer chucked into your drill , the drill will have too many revolutions per case to uniform . To uniform by hand with the hand held unit 3 turns and your done , to clean after uniformed one turn . By hand I feel you have more control over the case.
Old July 1, 2019, 04:39 PM   #27
ninosdemente

Thanks for the reply
Old July 1, 2019, 09:10 PM   #28
cw308

Only want to help in some way .
Old July 2, 2019, 12:12 PM   #29
mkl

I've had very good results with these:

https://www.sinclairintl.com/reloadi...prod34720.aspx

I chuck the carbide uniformer up in a drill press at around 500 rpm and can process a case in about two seconds. They make a hand holder for them that will work fine if you do not have a press but may be a little slower. Since the uniformer is carbide it will last forever!
Old July 2, 2019, 03:21 PM   #30
cw308

mkl
That's the one I'm using for my 308 cases LR Primer Uniformer hand held unit , great tool .
Old July 8, 2019, 10:11 PM   #31
ninosdemente

Thanks guys for the help. Will most likely get that tool... will just have to wait until what I have is completely obsolete.... which probably wont be long from now.
Old July 10, 2019, 12:04 PM   #32
mkl

Quote:
I've had very good results with these:

https://www.sinclairintl.com/reloadi...prod34720.aspx
Although the Sinclair write up does not mention it, this tool will also correct primer pockets that are too small.

I once bought a bag of new Winchester 30-30 cases that had primer pockets way too small. Bad QC at the factory. Almost impossible to seat a primer in the undersized pocket.

I processed all 100 of the cases with the uniformer and could not believe the amount of brass that was cut out of the pocket. After processing, all primers seated with normal pressure. There were no lose pockets; all were the correct size.

This is probably a problem that you will seldom run into, but if you do, you will lhave the tool that will correct that issue also.
Old July 10, 2019, 12:56 PM   #33
cw308

What works well for me , I seat the primers with the RCBS Ram Primer , it screws into the top of the press like a die and after uniforming the cases , only has to be cut once after then it's a quick carbon remover for the pockets if your not wet tumbling . I mark the lockring on the ram primer , I use a O ring under all my lock rings makes adjusting the dies much smoother and when removing the dies much easier .
Old July 10, 2019, 08:32 PM   #34
BBarn

I like the Hornady tool. It's not too expensive, a nice size (not uncomfortably small like the Lee tool), and the bit is replaceable. I bought one full tool and another bit for about $15 total and can do both small and large primer pockets.
Old July 11, 2019, 08:12 AM   #35
oldmanFCSA

Wet tumbling with SS pins.

www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com
Old July 11, 2019, 03:24 PM   #36
ninosdemente

cw308, RCBS Ram Primer is it a pain to switch between dies?

------

BBarn, is this what you have? https://www.amazon.com/Hornady-04121...ateway&sr=8-12

------

oldmanFCSA, are there any "budget" ones that do the job well? A bit more than what I want to spend.
Old July 11, 2019, 04:46 PM   #37
BBarn

No. I was talking about a primer pocket cleaner as apposed to a primer pocket reamer.

For what I was referring to, go to midwayusa.com, search on "primer pocket cleaner", and narrow to Hornady brand.
Old July 11, 2019, 09:05 PM   #38
ninosdemente

Thanks Bbarn, found it.
Old July 11, 2019, 09:20 PM   #39
BBarn

It's more than double the cost of the Hornady Primer Pocket Cleaners, but The Lyman Case Care Kit is another decent option. It includes several different replacable tools. But it does need to be mounted on a bench or clamped in a vise for use. It's Lyman product number 7777793.
Old July 11, 2019, 09:57 PM   #40
cw308

nino
It's not a problem , I'm working with the RCBS RockChucker Supreme single stage press . Speed in reloading is not what I'm into . Once the unit is in the press , it's only placing the primer in the cup and seating it in the pocket . I have been using the unit for many years , I like it or I wouldn't of recommend it . Just like the pocket Uniformer , I first got into using the Uniformer because the pocket cleaners like the brush never leldup the Uniformer cleaned the pocket in one turn and last forever , doesn't matter which one you go with they all work great.
Old July 11, 2019, 10:21 PM   #41
ninosdemente

BBarn, saw the product you mentioned in Midway.

------

cw308, I just saw a video on this... looks easy and looks like it wont hurt my hand after a while of priming the brass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WERbCMho_E

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/41...SABEgLH2_D_BwE

Thanks again guys
Old July 11, 2019, 10:26 PM   #42
ninosdemente

I definitely don't want a small primer cleaner as when I always clean all the brass at the same time. Small tool with my somewhat large hand won't make a great team. haha.
Old July 12, 2019, 07:23 AM   #43
cw308

nino
That's the unit I have . I also use a #17 o ring under all my lockrings , you can make fine adjustments to your dies and removing the dies from the press much easier.
Old July 12, 2019, 10:28 AM   #44
Grey_Lion

And this is why I left behind my dry vibrating shell tumbler after some 2 years of trying different media ( both commercially available and hand made - bamboo shavings were fun ) and went wet with stainless steel pin media to totally clean out both the primer pockets and the bottom interior of the brass.

I suspect but cannot empirically prove that the extremely few miss-fires I have ever had ( 3 with winchester primers, 2 with CCI in some 16000+ rds ) could have been due to residue flakes either in the primer pocket or in the brass interior base coming loose & blocking the primer hole. Since I went to SS pin media in wet tumble completely cleaning the brass to a high shine, I haven't had a miss-fire. AND I haven't needed a primer reaming tool......

What I have found useful is the Lyman primer hole de-bur tool. Especially on Winchester and Remington pistol cases, there can be found a tooling bur protruding into the powder chamber of the pistol brass primer hole which reduces the effectiveness of cleaning the base of the brass powder chamber and, I suspect, can change and deflect the primer blast a bit leading to more GSR and unburnt powder.

In Winchester .40 S&W brass especially, I find that fresh range brass has a heavier build-up of carbon and GSR in the pistol brass powder chamber when there is a primer hole bur which is why I originally started clearing them with my Lyman hand tool.

In my WIN reloads with a CCI primer having had the bur removed, I don't get the carbon build up and GSR - i.e. the powder burn was cleaner with less smoke and GSR with the bur removed.
Old July 12, 2019, 01:13 PM   #45
cw308

Grey
I found wet tumbling was far superior the dry . Primer pockets and brass inside an out spotless . I deburr my 308 cases but I don't clean up my handgun cases . I found before I switched to wet tumbling the unifomer killed two birds with one stone . I do uniform all my brass once so all are the same depth , after that the wet tumbling does a nice job .