The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 20, 2010, 04:54 PM   #1
Gary Slider

[b]Wyoming Reciprocity Problems!!!!!!!!![/b]

Wyoming has put up a new list of states they will honor. There is a couple problems with it. They list Iowa and Maine as states they honor and will honor their permit/license. They also left off a few states that honor their permit already. Their new law states they will honor anyone who honors theirs.

I just talked to the Wyoming Division of Criminal Investigation and pointed out that the Governor of Iowa has not even signed their reciprocity bill yet and even if he did their new law does not go into effect till 1/1/11. Maine is not reporting that they have signed an agreement with WY. They told me they were signing agreements before listing states. I explained to them that some states would not sign agreements and ask how Iowa could sign if they didn't even have reciprocity in their law yet. I didn't get an answer to that.

I would not depend on the Wyoming Official Site for carrying in other states or carrying in their state. I was told they would get back to me after they took another look at their list.

Wyoming has also cut down on their site information. They have a notice up that this is due to budget cuts. Again I would be very cautious if traveling to Wyoming or if a Wyoming permit/license holder traveling to those states they have listed. Check with the state you will be traveling to. The DCI site states this at the top of their listing of states" "those states are listed below for convenience only. However, this listing has no legal effect."

I will not add anything to the Wyoming page at Handgunlaw.us till I hear back from them and am sure that the states they have listed already honor their permit/license. I will post an update when info becomes available.
Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.
Old April 20, 2010, 05:15 PM   #2
NavyLT

That does seem really screwed up. And I like this statement from the Wyoming reciprocity document:

It is the sole responsibility for all concealed firearm permit holders to be aware of the requirements and laws of all states*.

Holy crap that's a lot of laws! And my Washington permit does not even require a class or anything.... I guess I better start studying.