The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 9, 2013, 10:23 AM   #1
+1k ammo

Remington

So I finally got my Dads old Remington s-10 I think pump model out. Has not been shot I think in 15-20 years. Wow does that thing kick! Did function perfectly but got very very hot! No vented barrel. It also was a tad touchy with the trigger. Might have to get that looked at or is that the way they are?

Also had Remington 1100 from the 80's and it was good, but it would not autoload without me turning the gun upside down and guiding the shells into the chamber. What was going on? Was in the field and didn't have time to look at it, but I do want it to function reliably. I just had a can of old ammo, so would that be the problem? The Pump though worked 100% with same ammo.
Old August 9, 2013, 11:36 AM   #2
BigD_in_FL

Did you give the 1100 a good cleaning and lubing?
Old August 9, 2013, 04:08 PM   #3
BigJimP

In my opinion, you should have the pump gun looked at ...a really light trigger " or touchy" is not typical.../ and if the gun fits you properly, it shouldn't kick that bad.....so consider different shells, etc....

Big D is probably right....if you didn't take the 1100 apart and carefully clean and lube it....it could be any number of issues causing your problem...you should take it to someone / or talk to an experienced Rem 1100 shooter in your area - so they can look at the gun first hand...( not the internet )...in fact show them the pump too....and see what they think....

Both guns, in my opinion, should be fully stripped down ...( taking trigger groups out, etc ) ....and cleaned and lubed...and reassembled before you can evaluate them.
Old August 9, 2013, 07:33 PM   #4
BigD_in_FL

Cleaning and lubing, as BigJim suggests, will most likely solve a lot of your issues
Old August 11, 2013, 09:57 AM   #5
Husqvarna

get new O-rings for the rem1100 (after cleaning and lubing), they dry up and crack over time.

doesn't generally like light loads either
Old August 12, 2013, 01:13 PM   #6
Dreaming100Straight

When you say it doesn't autoload unless the 1100 is turned over and you guide the shotshell into the "chamber", I take it you indeed mean the chamber and not the magazine. Correct?

In other words, there is no problem loading the magazine, but the problem is chambering a round.

When you say it is a can of old ammo, that sure could be the problem if it is really old. Also like has been pointed out, light target loads can be a problem. Have you had an opportunity to clean it as suggested and try again?