The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 13, 2009, 04:45 PM   #1
CortJestir

.45ACP Brass Question - markings on sidewalls

My local range's gun store was having a fire sale and I came across a one gallon Ziploc bag bulging with .45ACP range pickups for $12. A bunch of the brass has the head stamp of WCC 77 which I understand to be Western Cartridge Co. (Winchester).

The question I have is about the markings made by the factory around the sidewalls (see photo below). What are they for and is this brass reloadable? I assume it's GTG...

Thanks,
CJ

Attached Images
File Type: jpg WCC77_45ACP_Brass.jpg (61.2 KB, 324 views)
Old May 13, 2009, 05:23 PM   #2
Sevens

Cannelure, factory crimp if you will. You'll never notice it either way and they are very much good to go.

That is a sweeeet deal on range brass! Hope you found some other calibers, too.

Any 10mm you can get for cheap for a fellow forumite?!
Old May 13, 2009, 05:25 PM   #3
wjkuleck

Are you referring to the cannelure? I believe that in this case the cannelure is intended to retard bullet setback, I would imagine particularly during the loading process.

Cannelures are also used as a signal that something is different about the cartridge, e.g., Cal.7.62-MM Match cartridges for M14 rifles. The cannelure warns the shooter that the BTHP bullet loaded therein does not meet the letter of international law. Well, at the time the cannelure was used as a "signal," the BTHP was considered to be an expanding bullet. More recently, this position was reexamined so that these rounds could be used in our engagements overseas. The hole in the nose is simply a manufacturing process side effect; the bullet is not intended to expand, nor does it expand.

Regards,

Walt
The M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guide
The AR-15 Complete Assembly
and (New 4th Edition) Owner's Guides
Old May 13, 2009, 05:30 PM   #4
CortJestir

Thanks, both of you. I had thought that was a cannelure, but being relatively new to reloading/shooting, I haven't seen one yet!

Sevens, they only had .45ACP. But next time I'm out there, I'll see if there is any 10mm for ya. I know, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it - what a deal.
Old May 14, 2009, 12:51 AM   #5
rg1

The cannelure or knurling around the pistol case is as said to prevent possible bullet setback. They even make tools that you can cannelure bullets or make the same knurling or cannelure on the case.
http://www.bulletswage.com/hct-1.htm
Does your WCC brass have crimped in primers? If so you'll need to remove the crimp before repriming.
Old May 14, 2009, 03:06 PM   #6
tom234

You see this type cannelure many times on "premium" carry/SD ammo that may be chambered several times. Apparently it's used to eliminate setback.
Old May 14, 2009, 06:40 PM   #7
Ozzieman

Good and correct answer.
But I have to share what I heard at the range I shoot at several weeks ago,,,,
Two young gangster types were shooting and the one asked his friend what the lines on the case were for and his answer was.
“Don’t ever buy those,,, that’s a code they put on the cases so that they can trace them.”
I laughed so hard I had to stop shooting for some time.
I wanted to say to them that there are also some with those same code lines on the bullets.
Old May 14, 2009, 09:18 PM   #8
drail

That is Winchester military brass from '77. Very good brass. I have some from 67 that still works perfectly. You don't have to seat your bullets at the cannelure. Just load to whatever length you want....