The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 21, 2016, 09:46 PM   #1
imabmwnut

Browning Silver

Hello all. I'm looking at a Browning Silver. The brochure says it will shoot 3 and 3 1/2 inch shells. Does this mean it won't accept 2 3/4 inch shells? I just retired and am getting some money for my leave/ sick leave that I didn't use. I'm really thinking I want a nice autoloading shotgun that is useful but looks nice as well. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old December 21, 2016, 11:33 PM   #2
glazer1972

It's supposed to shoot 2-3/4 also.
Old December 22, 2016, 12:00 AM   #3
BigJimP

Yes, some of the Silver series are 3 1/2" chambers....and some are 3".

If a gun is chambered in 3" ...it will fire 2 3/4" and 3" shells ( not a 3 1/2" shell).

If it's chambered in 3 1/2" ...it will fire all 3 sizes.
( shot shells are measured after they are fired --- not before ! ).

The 3 1/2" guns will cost you about $200 more than a gun chambered in 3" in that series. Waterfowling is the only practical reason where you might want a 3 1/2" chambers in my view.

Browning Silver is a versatile and solid gun / i have given a couple of the Silver Hunter models in 3" and 30" barrels to a couple of grandkids a few yrs ago...and with only about 5,000 shells thru them they are holding up very well. They are light ...but we'll balanced...and easy to maintain.

I favor Browning over Beretta gas guns / Silver or Maxus are both solid guns ( Maxus is a little lighter I think ..) and a little more money. Benelli makes Inertia operated guns -- they are owned by Beretta ...and for an all around gun, I like the Super Sport model in a 30" with comfort tech system in it....but it's more money. Beretta does have some gas guns...especially in A400 xcel series ( the blue " smurf" gun ) -- or the multi target which is really a clay target gun ...)....all priced competitively.

Comes down to budget...what fits you...and what you intend to do with it. Some have shims for stock adjustment -- some don't .../ in terms of value - short and long term ...Browning, Beretta or Benelli will, by far, give you the most gun for your money in my view.

Fit --- is number one issue on a shotgun...so it hits where you look / your eye is the rear sight..

Grandkids shoot mostly Skeet and Sporting Clays ...but Silver is a good upland bird gun too.

Last edited by BigJimP; December 22, 2016 at 12:27 AM.