The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 22, 2016, 08:56 PM   #26
Kvon2

If you're really concerned about recoil I think you have to go with the semi auto.

There are plenty of one size fits most shell catchers available pretty cheap and as long as you're not shooting doubles they work just fine.
Old September 22, 2016, 09:02 PM   #27
Blindstitch

Quote:
There is a 1969 Superposed Diana grade on GB right now at 1000 bucks. Im sure it will go up before the end but man its beautiful.
That's a horribly nice gun that makes a lot look like boat paddles.
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/585161383
Old September 22, 2016, 09:20 PM   #28
FITASC

And I would be curious as to what the reserve is on that as it hasn't been met yet.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 22, 2016, 11:43 PM   #29
BigJimP

I appreciate your input on the "multi - target" model FITASC..../ maybe I will wait and see what the changes are on it next year....before I decide...( I can't deal with the surf color)....
Old September 23, 2016, 06:27 AM   #30
FITASC

I think the smurf gun is here to stay. That said, they have other (lighter) field versions with green and bronze receivers that I know about
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 23, 2016, 08:11 PM   #31
B.L.E.

I load up low velocity 15/16 ounce loads and they just absolutely smoke the targets if I center them in the pattern and are super pleasant to shoot. I realized a long time ago that recoil and noise does not break targets. You don't need 1 1/8 ounces of shot, you don't need 1290 fps muzzle velocity.
Old September 23, 2016, 08:52 PM   #32
EnoughGUN

shot gun

I think ive decided to go over under and just man up, always wanted one anyway. Ill look into those lighter rounds thank you.
I was thinking the the same thing about the reserve. I bet its pretty high. The others I see are 4k or more.
Old September 24, 2016, 12:29 AM   #33
BigJimP

Just to make sure we haven't confused the daylights out of you....a couple of points...

Your original post said you liked the Maxis....but if you meant the Browning Maxus, it is a gas operated semi-auto ---- not an inertia gun....

16 ga....has mostly gone away because there are no competitions shot with a 16ga ( only 12ga, 20ga, 28ga and .410 ).....and while I still have a 3 shot, bolt action, 16ga in my safe...it was a present about 55 yrs ago and I killed at least a ton of grouse with it...../ ...there are not many 16 ga's made because the demand is so low .... / ballistically, the 16ga traditionally fired a 1oz shell.../ today it's really easy to buy 1 oz shells in 12ga or 20ga, so the 16ga got squeezed out of the mix....still around for nostalgia, but not many guns made in 16ga anymore...( Browning BPS hunter model pump gun is one of the few I know of still made in a 16ga....and a couple in the Citori line as well....and the new line of A5's, but it's a recoil operated inertia type system...).

Getting beat up by a shotgun ...is not a matter of Manning up.....i'm 6' 5" and a "comfortable" 290 ....but a poorly fitting shotgun will beat the stuffing out of me if it doesn't fit right ...too much angle on comb will push the meat in my face up against my cheek bone and beat the heck out of me....vs recoiling under that cheekbone like it should, poor shooting fundamentals - bad elbow positions will let the stock crab down my bicep and bruise it....all of which is fixable.........by understanding "fit" and stock dimensions you need.

I'm a big Browning Citori fan.... but 80% of the Citori line of guns don't fit me ( lightning, the 725 field or sporting etc...) because they beat me up - because they have angled combs and too much drop at Heel..../ where the XT Trap, 725 Skeet with adjustable comb, the old XS Skeet model...fit me great....and I can shoot 200 shells a day, with no pain...../ so you have to figure out what works for you...

Go to your local club...talk to the competition shooters about Fit.....Trap and Skeet shooters will both tell you how they figured it out / how to check a gun .....before you buy, talk to them about Skeet vs Trap guns....weight, barrel length, etc..../ and look at some videos, or dvd's on gun mount, swing fundamentals.....and have fun with the process....

Last edited by BigJimP; September 24, 2016 at 12:37 AM.
Old September 24, 2016, 05:51 AM   #34
B.L.E.

I'm shooting trap singles with a Browning BT-99 and I can shoot 200 targets in one day and be ready to shoot more. The comb does not bruise my cheek at all, even when I shoot 1 1/8 ounce loads in it.
Old September 24, 2016, 06:57 AM   #35
FITASC

But those 1-1/8 oz loads WILL lead to an eventual flinch. Where I live, I see the old trap shooters who have been shooting for decades - and they all use release triggers due to flinches brought on by heavy loads. There's no need for them. 3/4, 7/8, or even 1oz will save your shoulder some wear and tear and still break targets - it only takes three pellets to break a standard target.
Old September 24, 2016, 07:09 AM   #36
B.L.E.

Yea but I like to see em turn into smoke.

Lately, I've been playing around with 1090 fps 1 1/8 ounce loads. 16 grains Red Dot, WAA-12 wad, AA hull. They are reasonably pleasant to shoot.
I'm headed out to the Bexar Community shooting range this AM to shoot 100 singles and 100 handicap. I'm going to shoot those 1 1/8 ounce loads in the handicap event and see how they work out.
If they aren't "the answer", I'll go back to my old reliable, but you gotta be careful not to blame or credit the load when the results were mostly your fault.
Old September 24, 2016, 02:40 PM   #37
BigJimP

I don't shoot anything over 1 oz anymore in a 12ga.../ and 99% of the time it is 1 oz of 8's...even for Skeet if I want to shoot a 12ga.
Old September 24, 2016, 04:29 PM   #38
Ridgerunner665

The Winchester 101 Ultimate Field from Bass Pro is the best buy going in a decent over under right now...

$1,049...

It is the exact same action as the FN you were looking at, and based on reviews (and owning one myself) they are a very good shotgun at a very good price.

I'm shooting 7/8 ounce #8 at 1,235 fps reloads and smashing everything quite well (16 yard trap and skeet).

Old September 24, 2016, 06:35 PM   #39
EnoughGUN

trap

Jim I am willing to bet my soreness is in oart at least how im holding the gun. Being new and not having anytime to practice at my own pace yet I have not had time to get comfortable with it. Im always in a rush to load and shoot I haven't had time to work on that basic but I will next time out. Thanks for the insight.
Ridge ,same action as the FN for half the price, cant beat that deal!
Old September 24, 2016, 07:03 PM   #40
FITASC

Enoughgun - see if this helps at all:

https://support.remington.com/Genera...ntals_Handbook
Old September 24, 2016, 10:51 PM   #41
bobn

bt 99 beats me bad. 30 inch ithaca pump with a truglo magnetic front sight does me fair. the magnetic sight allows me to float the bird. a field 1187 did nothing for my scores.
.....my recent attempt is a super x1 made in new haven, Winchester. my goodness, cant miss and the recoil just isn't there at all. and there are plenty of the trap versions around for a third the price of a benelli, jmho bobn
Old October 5, 2016, 01:38 PM   #42
The Rattler

O/U Vs. Semiauto

I Shoot trap with a 12 gauge Benelli Montefeltro semiauto (a Field gun and not a Trap gun). I occasionally shoot trap with a 20 gauge Citori O/U. Recoil from the 12 gauge Benelli is less than the 20 gauge O/U. The day after for my shoulder is noticeably worse when I shot the O/U. The performance of my Montefeltro has been most reliable, and it cycles 1 oz. loads just as well as heavier loads, although you may have to fire 300 rounds or so before it cycles light loads optimally.
Old October 5, 2016, 01:49 PM   #43
BigJimP

If guns are beating you guys up ...( its because they don't Fit you right ) --- or ( your fundamentals are bad - and you're pushing your gun away from your shoulder, or stock is crabbing down your arm, etc...)....

Even if you want to shoot 10 boxes of 1300 fps, 1 1/8oz loads in a day...they still should not be beating you up ( and I don't want to shoot those shells at all...) ...but shotguns, in general, should not beat you up !!
Old October 5, 2016, 01:53 PM   #44
FITASC

I used to shoot an O/U - about 20 years worth, but in the last few years switched to a gas gun that has shims so I can get the fit even better - What a difference having a better fitting gun makes..............It isn't perfect, but it's a lot closer than the O/U. AND it doesn't hiccup on my 3/4oz reloads (ClayBuster makes 3/4oz wads for 12 and 20)

Light loads, gas gun, gun that fits - all that equals no pain and max fun!
Old October 5, 2016, 04:05 PM   #45
BigJimP

I agree with FITASC....

and to his point, recoil is considered cumulative ...while the gun should not beat you up ( and I still mostly shoot O/U's - not semi autos )...the cumulative recoil will wear you down mentally over a long day in the field for a tournament...and especially over 3 or 4 day tournaments.

And I will admit that as I get a little older ( into my late 60's ) ...while I have a Benelli Super Sport semi-auto ... I am considering one of the Beretta A400 Xcel Multi-Target models ... for the first time ( I'm not normally a Beretta fan ...)...

http://www.beretta.com/en-us/a400-xcel-multitarget/ ...

( I have a birthday coming up ...but I just ordered a new SUV too ...so we'll see how indulgent my wife is feeling toward another shotgun ...when I already have about a dozen over under Brownings sitting in the safe)...
Old October 5, 2016, 04:07 PM   #46
FITASC

As long as that new SUV is for HER, you should be good to go!..............
Old October 5, 2016, 11:03 PM   #47
BigJimP

No, this one is mine --- we got her a new one last year
Old October 26, 2016, 02:51 PM   #48
dreaming

I am feeling charitable

LittleJimP wrote:

Quote:
( I have a birthday coming up ...but I just ordered a new SUV too ...so we'll see how indulgent my wife is feeling toward another shotgun ...when I already have about a dozen over under Brownings sitting in the safe)...
As I am feeling charitable, I could help you out with your too many shotgun dilemma and let you have a couple hundred for your 20 gauge XS Skeet.
Old October 26, 2016, 05:01 PM   #49
BigJimP

Just when I thought it was safe to go back in the water...you pop up again Dreamin... .. ( always trying to take advantage of me...my feelings are hurt )...

new LX 570 won't be here for another few weeks...saving my pennies...and I just ordered 4 cases of Montana Gold bullets in 9mm ...to keep up my inventory.../ ...I think I'm over the urge for the multi-target...but I have a buddy that decided he had to have one after he and I were discussing it - and he bought it last week...so I'll get to shoot one when we get a dry day out at the club ..( maybe next Spring the way it looks this week....) .. .
Old October 26, 2016, 05:35 PM   #50
dreaming

I try to help you out and get nothing but abuse. sniff, sniff... My little feelings are hurt.