The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 13, 2017, 10:55 PM   #1
BuckBerry

Hornady Precision Hunter ELD-X

Does anyone have experience with this ammo? I ordered some for the new .270 Win. Seems to pack quite a punch compared to several other brands. It's only made in 145 grain bullets, which is fine with me. I do not reload, so I chose something along the lines of this ammo. Will be my deer rifle and occasional target shooter just to stay sharp.

Approx 1,500 ft/lbs at 500 yards!
Old December 14, 2017, 03:47 PM   #2
TrueBlue711

I'm also curious, but more so in the comparison to the other Hornady loads. I compared the boxes of the BLACK, TAP, A-Max, Z-Max and these Hunter ELD-X. All for .308 in 168 gr. Honestly, there wasn't much difference listed on the boxes. But they all cost different. So where is the difference in these rounds to justify the cost difference? Z-Max I know doesn't use a boat tail bullet (and was just a gimmick anyways. Not to discount it was actually decent ammo), but I'm pretty sure the others all use A-Max or similar shaped bullets that have a boat tail bottom. I think BLACK is the cheapest, then TAP/A-Max and Hunter ELD-X the most expensive.

Change: Disregard about Hunter ELD-X. I was thinking of their new Match ammo. Again, it didn't have vastly different numbers than others mentioned.

Last edited by TrueBlue711; December 14, 2017 at 03:54 PM.
Old December 16, 2017, 09:30 AM   #3
std7mag

A lot of the cost of different ammo is powder choice and bullet choice.
Lets face it, different bullets have different cost.
As for powder, Hornady is known for blending their own. Aka Leverlution, and Superperformance.
Obviously blending powder should never be done by a reloader!

1-2 tenths of a grain of powder makes a huge cost difference over hundreds of thousands of cartridges.

The ELDX should get the job done in your 270.
Old December 17, 2017, 06:46 PM   #4
jmr40

I've been hand loading those bullets since they came out. Accuracy is much better than average. I've used 30 caliber bullets in 178 and 200 gr in 308, 30-06 and 300 WSM as well as the 143 gr in a 6.5 Creedmoor.

I've not taken game with one yet, but reports from those who have indicate that the bullet expands very well. Maybe more than some like. It isn't a premium bullet designed to shoot big game like elk from odd angles. They expand well at longer ranges after velocity is slower.

But since they are only loaded in heavy for caliber weights they still penetrate well enough if used properly. This is a bullet you place into the vitals, not one for shooting an elk in the butt and hoping for enough penetration to reach vitals. Based on what I've read they perform much like a standard cup and core bullet after impact, but with much better aerodynamics.

I've used the 178 gr Precision Hunter factory loads in my 308 and 143 gr factory loads in my 6.5 Creedmoor. Accuracy is EXCELLENT with both, but they were 50-100 fps slower than advertised. My hand loads using the same bullets make the speeds printed on the box with the same accuracy.

I'd feel comfortable using them on any animal. But with the knowledge that I may have to pass up some shots that I might take with a tougher bullet.

Winston Churchill
Old December 18, 2017, 12:16 PM   #5
Don Fischer

Quote:
Originally Posted by std7mag View Post
A lot of the cost of different ammo is powder choice and bullet choice.
Lets face it, different bullets have different cost.
As for powder, Hornady is known for blending their own. Aka Leverlution, and Superperformance.
Obviously blending powder should never be done by a reloader!

1-2 tenths of a grain of powder makes a huge cost difference over hundreds of thousands of cartridges.

The ELDX should get the job done in your 270.
The cost of 1-2 tenth's over is very high same with the cost of bullet's. But figure the cost of a single load and for me it get's more realistic! Do it over hundred's of thousand's and the number will be very high! But figure the cost of one round against less expensive ammo and the spread isn't any where near the same. I an not convinced there is a need for premium bullet's. If I were to use ons though, it would be the Hornady bonded, they claim it will retain 90% of it's weight. The Nosler retains a max 70%, got that right from Nosler.
Old December 18, 2017, 12:41 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

Superformance is just the old 'Light Magnum' line. Pretty much just max loads.
Leverevolution is about the bullet having a soft synthetic point insert. Hornady says you may need a new follower to get the last round to feed. Also a Max load of suspected Hodgdon LVR powder. No other powder gives close to the claimed MV of 2465 FPS.
Any way since you're not reloading, you need to try a box of as many brands and bullet weights as you can to find the ammo your rifle shoots best. The price of it means nothing.