The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 20, 2016, 11:58 PM   #51
nightwolf1974

Runnings and Walmart still stock 16ga. shells, I was looking at them today. I love the 16ga., but for most people it's either equaled by modern 20ga. shells or exceeded by a HUGE selection of 12ga. shells.

The last listing I saw for a new 16ga. was just before New England Firearms went back to being H&R.

I don't shoot my 16s to full potential, I just shoot low brass 1oz. #6s, which are more expensive than their 12ga. counterparts. I actually see the 16ga. going the way of the 8ga., like the 10ga. is now going.

I mean in all reality, all you need is a 12ga. with a 3.5" chamber......and you can shoot 1.75" mini-shells all the way upto 3.5" magnum loads....and everything else is cancelled out.

But trust me, there are a lot of nice older 16s out there still. I have 2x doubles in 16ga. and I still shoot them.
Old December 21, 2016, 08:17 AM   #52
jaguarxk120

Ah yes having a gun that shoots everything from 3 1/2 to the little short 1 1/2 inch shells might be great to some, but it is not a cure all.

Those big magnums handle like a 2x4 in a strong wind on a calm day. Heavy for the loadings used, after all 3 1/2 inch super magnums are not shot every day!

A gun, 16 gauge, no matter what kind will still out shoot one of those super mags any day of the week.

Just think of hunting very fast birds in heavy cover even with a short turkey barrel that super mag will over swing ever bird. And yes there are those that can handle the big gun, but wait till you are older and after a few shots your done for the day.
It is still best to match the gun to the game.
Old December 21, 2016, 09:30 AM   #53
FITASC

^^^^^^ Exactly. why swing a pig on a shovel when a wand is so much better?
Heavy, slow-moving guns are great for clay targets, but no so much for fast moving live quarry; especially when you'll be doing a lot of walking.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 21, 2016, 05:06 PM   #54
jaguarxk120

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink!