The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 2, 2009, 02:49 PM   #1
flatshooter

handloading 270. win with 90 grains...?

hey there i just wanted to know if i was to hand load this bullet if it would start to tumble out to far distances like 500 yards for coyot?

thanks
Old December 2, 2009, 03:12 PM   #2
Shoney

If you are going to be shooting over 200 yards, a heavier bullet with a high ballistic coefficient is what you need. The light bullet will have more MV but will slow down faster, be more effected more by wind currents, and the trajectory of the heavier bullet will be flatter over the 500 yards.

Get some of the free ballistic programs and do some study.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old December 2, 2009, 05:28 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

Welcome to the forum.

A heavier bullet with higher BC may not be flatter if you can't get the same MV out of it, but it will blow around less in the wind. As to tumbling, it is longer bullets that need faster twist, not shorter ones. You should have plenty of spin to stay stable at least until the bullet drops to the transonic velocity range, where drag increases as bullet transitions from supersonic to subsonic velocity. Some bullets will tumble in that velocity range and some will sail through it. Don't know what your's will do?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 2, 2009, 06:14 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

The Speer 100gr HP was found to be more explosive, and more stable in all .270 Win rifles in my family.

We've popped prairie dogs, rabbits, and squirrels out to 400+ (known) yards. However, we've never done any formal accuracy testing at that range. It should still be carrying more than enough energy and stability to do the job.
Old December 7, 2009, 09:07 PM   #5
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Speer 100

Thats a big 10-4 on that 100 Gr. Speer 100 Gr. . It is great Coyote medicine too , 56 Gr. of Win. 760 gets it up around 3200 FPS in my sons A-Bolt . I however prefer my 7mm Rem. Mag with 130 Gr Speer BTSP , it just turns those dirty dogs inside out .
Old December 8, 2009, 12:44 AM   #6
Crankylove

Quote:
Speer 100gr HP was found to be more explosive
They pretty much leave only a red mist where the furry critter used to be (sometimes we find a chunk or two). I have loaded the 100 gr. HP's as fast as 3,600 fps out of my Model 70........but usually stick to about 3,100-3,200 fps. when loading for varmits. They have proven to be very accurate, and quite fun. I use the 100 gr. on rabbits, squirrels, praire dogs, birds, lizards, snakes, etc., at ranges from 15 feet, to 350-400 yards, and they always explode the target, no matter what the range.

I had wanted to try some of the 90 gr. HP's in my .270, but have just never done it for some reason. Post up some info after you shoot some, I would interested in the stability/accuracy you get with them.
Old December 8, 2009, 01:53 AM   #7
Tex S

I am currently developing a load using the Sierra 90gr HP. So far, I have only tried Varget and the accuracy isn't anything to write home about (1.25-1.50" at 100 yds.), but I still want to try some IMR 4041 and 4350.

Rifle is a Browning A-bolt. I began accuracy testing using the OCW method. The powder charges ranged from medium to max, but all groups fired were about the same. Not much recoil though.

I'm not sure if it even matters, but the hollow points were filled with the media that Sierra tumbles the bullets in. A few quick pokes with a needle gets it all out.
Old December 8, 2009, 10:04 AM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

That bullet is way too light for 4350 to burn well. Even Varget and the other usual suspects will have trouble working with it short of full maximum loads. IMR3031 should do much better. You could try Reloader 10X, which is made specifically for light bullet loads. It may not give you quite as much velocity as IMR3031, but will burn more completely and use less. It's ballistic efficiency will be better and it may produce better accuracy?

One thing to watch out for with the short bullets is seating concentricity. The stubbies can tilt more in the bore.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 13, 2009, 11:39 PM   #9
flatshooter

90 gr = deadly on coyot

hey guys thanks for all your help. i did after all use the 90 gr bullet, man oh man are they night, im shooting a remington 700 sps in 270 win. and i can hit a pop can at 450 yrds with out a prob.

now on coyots i have found that these little bulletes are..... amazing not as big as an exit hole.. easy to fix and sell... thanks alot guys