The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 5, 2014, 11:47 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

still working on buying brass... how is PRVI 7.5 X 55 Swiss ammo ???

I'm starting to work my way around to the milsurps... about have Garand ammo covered ( I decided to buy the specific Garand PRVI ammo, to shoot, & then reload )

by availability, the 7.5 X 55 Swiss might be next... Graff's has ammo made by Hornady, as well as PRVI ammo... I'm interested in this stuff mainly as a reloading component, but if the ammo is OK to start with, it would be a big plus... the PRVI is nearly 1/2 the price of the Hornady ...

so anyone shoot the PRVI in your K-31... what are your thoughts ???
Old November 5, 2014, 03:38 PM   #2
Geezerbiker

All the Privi brass I've bought has been very good quality. I haven't shot the 200 rounds I bought for my K31 yet but I'm not concerned about the quality either...

Tony
Old November 5, 2014, 03:54 PM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

thanks for the reply... did you buy loaded ammo, or new reloadable brass ???

I'm thinking of buying the ammo, to get the brass... just curious how it shoots in the K-31
Old November 5, 2014, 04:07 PM   #4
Mosin-Marauder

Yes. It performs the same as the overpriced stuff. Lasts just as long too. In my K-31 anyway.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old November 5, 2014, 05:16 PM   #5
davery25

when I was looking for ammo for the 7.5x55 I got quoted $80 per box of 20 for Hornady. The guy said it with a straight face too. I personally might have recoiled instantly to avoid the slap that might have followed

I bought the PRVI stuff at 25 per box and it shoots better than i can hold so i wasn't too fussed. I've always found prvi ammo to be pretty good in any calibre.

I could never discern any difference between brands when shooting off-hand with my 6.5x55 swedish and I assume its the same with the 7.5.

It's all about the brass for reloading anyway.
Old November 5, 2014, 05:32 PM   #6
Magnum Wheel Man

agree... thanks guys...

now if I could find a cheap source of 6.5 Arisaka, & Caracano ammo in brass boxer primed cases, I'd have my modest collection of milsurps covered with reloadable brass...

the old Czech VZ-52 in 7.62 X 45 is neither cheap or easy to find ammo for, & custom ammo makers are the only place I've ever found boxer primed cases, which were reformed from 303 Brit or 220 Swift...

would love to have 500 cases for each that are reloadable for these fun old guns
Old November 5, 2014, 06:55 PM   #7
dakota.potts

I shoot Prvi in the form of Monarch ammo and it does well, but I don't reload
Old November 5, 2014, 07:18 PM   #8
Geezerbiker

For the most part I shoot my own loads. I had no desire to shoot full power loads with that steel butt plate. So I bought the brass unprimed brass from Graf's. http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...roductId/12649

I had to wait awhile for it come back in stock then I bought a hundred and a hundred a year or so later. I've been seriously lacking in getting this rifle to the range considering how long I wanted one...

I've loaded up 50 with the Ed Harris universal load of #2400 powder and and 150g plated bullets. I expect these to be fun to shoot with no abuse of my beat up old shoulder...

Tony
Old November 5, 2014, 09:57 PM   #9
tangolima

I used to buy loaded rounds and reused the brass afterwards. I don't do that anymore, and here is the reason.

For each new load, I will need to spend about 40 to 50 rounds to find the load I like. Loaded ammo does add to that efforts, so I spend more money for nothing, other than the bang. I will do much better if I just buy the components and go for it. Less money for more results.

BTW PPU is good stuff. No reservation to recommend their brass. Not sure about their bullets though.

-TL
Old November 8, 2014, 12:14 PM   #10
Vividia

I used the Prvi in both my K31 and 96/11. Performed well in both, and the brass is top notch for loading. I bought several hundred rounds so I could have fun emptying the brass, and later comparing my loads to factory.

I have also used their 303 brit, 8mm mauser, 30-06, 7.65x54R and others. For 7.7 Jap I could only locate norma. Not sure anybody else is still making it.

Side note, as much as I like the K31, I like the 96/11 even more
Old November 8, 2014, 12:59 PM   #11
tangolima

I have k31 and 96/11. I do like the 96/11 better too. It is just a bit classier and works smoother.

Is the 6.5mm arisaka brass that you have difficulty to find, or 7.7mm? Graf & sons has ppu 6.5x50 jap brass in stock for $55 per 100. I make 7.7mm jap brass out of 30-06.

-TL
Old November 10, 2014, 07:14 AM   #12
Magnum Wheel Man

thanks for the replies... I buy regularly from Grafs... didn't see the 6.5 Arisaka brass available... will have to check it out
Old November 10, 2014, 08:05 AM   #13
Magnum Wheel Man

Actually... looked through Graf's brass supply this morning... looks like PRVI has most of my Milsurp brass covered... right now, the only "hard" ones are going to be 30-40 Krag, & the 7.62 X 45 ( which looks like I'm stuck making cases from 220 Swift for the 7.62 X 45 ), which aren't super hard to get, but with my OCD getting matching brass, it'll take me a little longer to collect WW Super brass to form into the 7.62 X 45... I'd suspect I'll have to keep an eye out for any 30-40 Krag brass, & just sell the ones I don't end up using ( that OCD thing again ) as Graf's doesn't have that listed as available from PRVI for 30-40 Krag, only Remington & Winchester, both of which are not in stock...

as far as the original post... thanks for the info on your experience's with PRVI ammo in the K-31
Old November 12, 2014, 09:23 AM   #14
velocette

I got lucky. After I bought 40 rds of Prvi Partisan ammo (from Graf & Son) for my new to me K31, I met a gent at my local range with his K31. He did not reload the 7.5x55 & donated 59 pcs of Prvi brass to my stash.
I looked at the Norma brass while it is of excellent quality it is outrageously priced.
The Prvi brass appears to be of excellent quality, consistent, resizes easily and meets my needs.
An interesting note about the Prvi brass is that even after being fired twice, it does not need to be trimmed to length (yet)
Old November 12, 2014, 09:26 AM   #15
Magnum Wheel Man

cool... thanks for the info...