The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 19, 2016, 09:24 PM   #1
Jasun

Iver Johnson's arms and cycle works

So my father in law was digging through some stuff and busted out this .32 revolver. Don't know much about it other then it looks like it has shaved a little led in its day. Anyone have any info on this?

Old March 19, 2016, 09:43 PM   #2
RJay

My eyes are too old to read the fuzzy patent markings on the barrel, pull the left grip and post the serial number and any letter pre fix that may be there.
Old March 19, 2016, 10:10 PM   #3
Jasun

Bottom of the gun stamped with 83416

Nothing behind the grips.
Old March 19, 2016, 10:24 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

To all appearances, the gun is an Iver Johnson Small Frame, hammer type Safety Automatic revolver, First Variation. (The nomenclature is from Goforth, Iver Johnson Arms & Cycle Works Firearms 1871-1993.)

Those were made only in 1894, so the gun is an antique (pre-1899) under Federal law, and also is usually recommended for use only with black powder, though a very limited amount of firing with modern .32 S&W ammunition should not damage the gun.

There is a growing collector interest in I.J. revolvers, and I would guess at a retail value of $100-150. The problem is that few dealers are interested since no parts are available and any kind of warranty at resale would be impossible. The same problem would also apply to any broken or missing parts.

Jim
Old March 19, 2016, 11:42 PM   #5
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

Iver Johnson revolvers were very popular inexpensive revolvers. The design of yours is what is called a Top Break because to load them you broke them open by opening the latch and rotating the barrel down. The ejector should pop up then snap back down again as you open the gun, throwing empty shells clear. Iver Johnsons were less expensive than Smith and Wesson Top Break revolvers of the same period.

Around 1900 Iver Johnson redesigned their revolvers specifically for Smokeless powder.

Look at the little owl on the grip. Notice he is facing forward. If you pull the grips off you will see the main spring is a leaf spring. These are indications that this is an older Iver Johnson made before the changeover to the Smokeless powder design.

This is a 38 S&W Iver Johnson Safety Hammerless designed to shoot Smokeless Powder. Notice the little owl is facing backwards. If I were to remove the grips the hammer spring would be a coil spring. Also notice the difference in the shape of the bolt locking slots on the cylinder. On the BP Iver Johnsons the hand prevents the cylinder from rotating backwards. On the Smokeless guns the bolt is captured by both edges of the locking slot to prevent it from moving. The Smokeless guns were made of a stronger steel to withstand the pressure and concussion generated by Smokeless ammunition.

Of course you are not going to be able to find 32 S&W ammunition loaded with Black Powder today, the only ammo you will find is loaded with Smokeless powder. Don't shoot it a whole lot and it will probably be fine, it has probably been fired with Smokeless ammunition at some point over the years.
Old March 20, 2016, 11:49 AM   #6
RJay

Iver Johnson labeled revolvers made on or after 1909 are made with a strengthen frame for smokeless powder. Prior to this they are considered black powder.
Old March 20, 2016, 05:00 PM   #7
Driftwood Johnson

Quote:
Iver Johnson labeled revolvers made on or after 1909 are made with a strengthen frame for smokeless powder. Prior to this they are considered black powder.
Howdy Again

But how is somebody to know when a particular revolver was made? The three characteristics I described, the direction the little owl is facing, flat mainspring or coil mainspring, and shape of the cylinder locking slots will tell even the most inexperienced shooter whether it is a Black Powder gun or a Smokeless gun. These changes went along with the stronger frame for the Smokeless powder guns.
Old March 20, 2016, 10:11 PM   #8
damienph

My Iver Johnson Safety Automatic Hammerless .38 is an older black powder model. I do handload very mild loads for it and shoot it a few times a year.

I still shoot my Empire State Arms .38 as well.

both shown with a Taurus 85 for scale.

Old July 3, 2018, 12:28 PM   #9
hunter44i8

iver

I have a Iver Johnson that is a 38sw. It has the owl facing rear and a flat sprinf under the grips so i am confused as to if i can shoot smokeless powder. Any help would be appreciated.
Old July 3, 2018, 02:16 PM   #10
Kirosha

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter44i8 View Post
I have a Iver Johnson that is a 38sw. It has the owl facing rear and a flat sprinf under the grips so i am confused as to if i can shoot smokeless powder. Any help would be appreciated.
Quote:
The three characteristics I described, the direction the little owl is facing, flat mainspring or coil mainspring, and shape of the cylinder locking slots will tell even the most inexperienced shooter whether it is a Black Powder gun or a Smokeless gun. These changes went along with the stronger frame for the Smokeless powder guns.
If any one shows as black powder, assume it is black powder.

Quote:
Of course you are not going to be able to find 32 S&W ammunition loaded with Black Powder today, the only ammo you will find is loaded with Smokeless powder. Don't shoot it a whole lot and it will probably be fine, it has probably been fired with Smokeless ammunition at some point over the years.
Quote:
usually recommended for use only with black powder, though a very limited amount of firing with modern .32 S&W ammunition should not damage the gun.
If you need to know for sure

Quote:
pull the left grip and post the serial number and any letter pre fix that may be there.
Quote:
Bottom of the gun stamped...Nothing behind the grips.
Post what you find and hope to get a more detailed answer

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."
Old July 3, 2018, 03:09 PM   #11
5whiskey

Saw a nearly identical model for sale at a yard sale a few weeks ago. Cylinder lock-up and timing was downright unsafe, and the guy had a price tag of $200 on it. I showed him the issues with the pistol and told him it would be unethical to sale the firearm without disclosing those issues. I also told him that price was more than double what it was worth in the current condition. I don't think he cared. Oh well.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old July 3, 2018, 03:19 PM   #12
44 AMP
Staff

The box is probably worth more than the gun!
Old July 3, 2018, 03:46 PM   #13
Aguila Blanca
Staff

A few years ago I bought one like that, in non-functioning condition, for $25. I didn't care that it's broken -- I wanted something to show students in my NRA Basic Pistol classes a real top break firearm. The fact that it's in an obscure chambering (.32) was an added bonus. My rule is that students aren't allowed to bring firearms or ammunition into the class, but there's always "that guy" who just has to bend the rules. And that's the same guy who would have a 9mm round in his pocket and would just have to see if it will fit in a demonstration gun that's being passed around the class.

Which is why for many of my classroom props I use either blue guns or non-firing replicas. But I haven't yet found a non-firing replica of a top break. (And, if they made one, it would cost a lot more than 25 bucks anyway.)

I found some dummy rounds for the little .32 top break, so I can actually demonstrate how it loads and unloads.
Old July 3, 2018, 05:12 PM   #14
Mk VII

Having the box more-or-less intact adds somewhat to the value as most people discarded them.
Old July 3, 2018, 05:14 PM   #15
Driftwood Johnson

Quote:
Anyone have any info on this?
Howdy

Iver Johnson called them 'Safety' revolvers because they had a transfer bar to transfer the force of the hammer to a firing pin, much like modern Rugers.

For many years Iver Johnson had a marketing slogan called Hammer the Hammer to show how safe these revolvers were.

The reason they were called 'Automatic' was because opening the revolver automatically ejected the spent, empty shells. Just like with a Smith and Wesson Top Break.
Old July 3, 2018, 08:50 PM   #16
timgd

ammo

Buffalo Arms still sells black powder.32s&w ammo,pricey but you can get it.
ps, shorts or longs
Old July 6, 2018, 08:14 PM   #17
Drm50

I bought some guns couple weeks ago. There was a IJ break down, nickel &
Pearl grips ( one panel chipped ) last patent date 1896 on barrel. Similar to
OPs. Decent firing condition, sold on line for $80 instantly.
Old July 7, 2018, 12:09 AM   #18
Edknn

I have a first year smokeless .38 S&W model. Got to love their advertising.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Iver_Johnson_Safety_Hammerless_ad_with_little_girl1.jpg (49.8 KB, 52 views)
Old July 9, 2018, 01:02 AM   #19
Sequins

Thanks for sharing valuable information once again DJ, it's always fun to find you in a thread. OP, thanks for finding such a gem to post about! That ratty old box is one sure indication that we've got a classic on our hands
Old July 9, 2018, 09:53 AM   #20
BBarn

If any of you guys are interested, I have two Iver Johnson boxes that I was willing to give to anyone who would pay the shipping cost. Below are the links to the posts and pictures.

Post 1

Post 2
Old July 9, 2018, 01:31 PM   #21
M88

I was given an Iver J breaktop a few years ago. 38 S&W black powder. Top break, large frame version of this revolver. Have taken it to gun shows and have had offers in the $150 range, but don't plan on selling it. It was made in Fitchburg Massachusetts by Iver Johnson Arms & Cycle Works between 1899 and 1901. On bottom of handle it has Pat June 16.96 and Aug 25.96. I like how when you break the top and open the gun the spent cases are automatically pushed out to easily extract. Approx. 950K of this Second Model were made. Back then, they were sold for $6 (about $150 in today's money). Even then, this was a relatively cheap alternative to more expensive revolvers. As the ad's above show, their claim to fame was that it was a "safe" gun to have around children or careless adults due to it's design! In Sep 1901, a .32 caliber version of this pistol was used to assassinate President McKinley. The assassin Leon Czolgosz bought it three days prior to the assassination for $4.50 at a hardware store in Buffalo NY where he shot the president. He apparently chose that revolver because earlier that year King Umberto I of Italy was assassinated with the same Iver Johnson revolver. In June 1968, an Iver Johnson 22 cal revolver was used to assassinate presidential candidate Robert F Kennedy. So these Iver's, although cheap and plentiful, do have some history. I've shot about 50 rounds of BP through mine so far, a very pleasant revolver to shoot even though it's on the small side. As said, sure you can still get 38 S&W, but of course supply and demand make it a little pricey.