The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 26, 2018, 06:16 PM   #1
Aguila Blanca
Staff

.38 Rimfire - How cool is that?

I was poking around Youtube, looking for a particular video by Mike Beliveau (duelist1954), and I stumbled across this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIxXqZ7XNIk

What a neat idea -- simulate rimfire ammunition by setting a "primer" off-center in the case head. I don't know why they chose to use .22 blanks for primers -- I would have thought that shotgun primers would be as effective, and more readily available.
Old June 26, 2018, 07:13 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Aaaaaand ... After watching Mike's video again, I realize why they used .22 blanks as primers. Because they're rimfires, and the guns were made to shoot rimfire ammunition (duh). A shotgun primer has to be hit with a firing pin in or near its center, and these old rimfire handguns can't do that.

Which, IMHO, makes this little kit a very ingenious solution to the problem of non-existent ammunition for these old guns.
Old June 26, 2018, 07:14 PM   #3
Model12Win

I wonder why the larger-caliber rimfires went extinct in the first place?
Old June 26, 2018, 07:55 PM   #4
44 Dave

Rim fire case has to be thin enough to fire therefor not suitable for higher pressures that were coming into use.
Old June 28, 2018, 11:19 PM   #5
rodwhaincamo

Very cool indeed!
Old June 29, 2018, 12:18 AM   #6
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model12Win View Post
I wonder why the larger-caliber rimfires went extinct in the first place?
Centerfire was more reliable and reloadable. Also, I think the move to smokeless powder meant that the cases weren't crammed full of powder, so the ignition of the powder wouldn't be as consistent as with black powder.

Also rimfires require heavier hammer springs and thus a heavier trigger to ensure a good hit to ignite the primer in the rim.

I agree tho that there's no reason why rimfire ammo larger than .22 shouldn't be made. There are plenty of older single shot .32 rimfire and .41 rimfire derringers out there that are selling for so little due to ammo rarity. All it would take is a couple machines to produce .32, .38, and .41 rimfire and the manufacturer would basically have a monopoly on the market. A dollar a round of rimfire isn't too outrageous when you consider most premium ammo costs the same.
Old July 2, 2018, 10:54 AM   #7
Driftwood Johnson

Quote:
I agree tho that there's no reason why rimfire ammo larger than .22 shouldn't be made. There are plenty of older single shot .32 rimfire and .41 rimfire derringers out there that are selling for so little due to ammo rarity. All it would take is a couple machines to produce .32, .38, and .41 rimfire and the manufacturer would basically have a monopoly on the market. A dollar a round of rimfire isn't too outrageous when you consider most premium ammo costs the same.
Howdy

The law of supply and demand. With all due respect, it would take more than 'a couple machines to produce .32, .38, and .41 rimfire' ammunition. It has been tried before. A number of years ago Navy Arms was selling some 41 Rimfire ammo for the Remington double derringers. I picked up an almost full box not too long ago to add to my cartridge collection. If it had been economically viable it would still be available.

Likewise with 32 and 38 Rimfire and 44 Henry Rimfire. If it was economically viable, somebody would have stepped into the vacuum by now and would be producing them.
Old July 2, 2018, 02:25 PM   #8
gwpercle

Now that's an interesting way to do it.
Gary
Old July 3, 2018, 09:52 AM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

That's been done for decades.

Dixie Gun Works used to carry .56-56 cases that used the offset .22 blank as the primer.

Matter of fact, they're still available.

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/...+Round+Ball%29

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 3, 2018, 12:41 PM   #10
4V50 Gary
Staff

Those are pretty neat.
Old July 4, 2018, 09:47 PM   #11
Bishop Creek

I used to have a couple of boxes of .32 rim fire cartridges made in Brazil as I recall, and distributed by Navy Arms in the 1970s and '80s.
Old July 5, 2018, 07:57 AM   #12
Mike Irwin
Staff

Yep, CBC would occasionally make runs of .32 Short rimfire and .41 Short rimfire for Navy Arms.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.