The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 9, 2020, 08:33 PM   #26
Deltadart

The guy that owns .22LRreloader emailed me, the compound is corrosive. I do not see any way it could not be. You can order the Primal Kit for 20$, just the four part components that come with the kit. They say it will do about 2000 rounds. With a little practice you probably will get close to that.
Old October 12, 2020, 09:24 AM   #27
markr6754

I don’t want to push off an idea as my own, but the original poster, “AndyC” is on another forum and I can’t give him credit here. Nonetheless, AndyC used a punch to remove the active disk from Paper Caps, the ones we used as kids, though modern caps are not as loud. Once punched out these disks just fit inside a Large Pistol Primer cup.

He removed the anvil, used a brass punch to flatten the firing pin dent, placed 2 paper cap disks in the large primer cup, then placed the anvil back onto the cup.

He relied on primer seating to push the anvil back into position. He then assembled his test 45 ACP ammo using cast 230gr RN projectiles. He also made the same rounds using WIN LPP.

He then ran tests over a chrony, comparing WIN LPP to the Paper Cap LPP.
Average velocity on 230gr cast using Clays: 798.6 FPS for WIN LPP; 773.0 FPS for paper cap primers. There was also an increase in sd from 7.7 to 11.7.

There is also a slight delay in firing between click and bang of about 1/20th second.

And finally, yes, these paper cap primers ARE corrosive.

I’ve got to admit, I’d try it if I ran out of LPP before things return to whatever we will know as “normal”.