The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old September 19, 2019, 09:32 AM   #26
lapetrarca53

..too late! He's already irrelevant!
Old September 19, 2019, 11:13 AM   #27
rickyrick

He is relevant, and people like him.

These extremists are inching closer and closer to being in the White House. Had Russia not intervened in our election, these extremists would have more power right now.
Old September 19, 2019, 02:24 PM   #28
44 AMP
Staff

Folks, do remember where you are. LAW and CIVIL RIGHTS

Discussing proposed/pending legislation, fine. Discussing court cases and how they relate to our right, fine.

POLITICS, and particularly who did or didn't do what NOT DIRECTLY RELATED to our firearms rights is not fine, and one more word on that, and we're done here.

Quote:
If we were starting from clean sheet of paper, I'd say the NFA wouldn't pass strict scrutiny. I don't see any compelling governmental interest...
I agree, and if there had been a competent defense in the Miller case, we might not have an NFA today. But this begs the question, would the proposed "Booker" license law pass such scrutiny?

How would the govt prove a compelling need for what is being proposed??

I doubt that matters much to Booker, or any other legislator who supports the idea, after all, their job is to pass such crap, its up to us to deal with it AFTER it becomes law...
Old September 19, 2019, 07:19 PM   #29
MTT TL

Quote:
1. Fully automatic rifles and pistols. My unsupported and unresearched WAG is that if these things weren't restricted, weren't forbidden fruit, very few people would want them. I don't see what they are actually good for, and don't want one, but it's no skin off my nose if someone else wants one. I do think in light of Miller, extra restrictions on fully automatic rifles are particularly hard to justify constitutionally.
After Vegas that will never, ever, ever happen.

Ever.
Old September 20, 2019, 12:59 PM   #30
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
1. Fully automatic rifles and pistols. My unsupported and unresearched WAG is that if these things weren't restricted, weren't forbidden fruit, very few people would want them.
I disagree. I think they would be as popular as anything IF there was no legal restriction. Perhaps more so.

Quote:
I don't see what they are actually good for, and don't want one, but it's no skin off my nose if someone else wants one.
If they weren't good for anything, the military wouldn't use them. For civilian use, full auto is fun recreation, (assuming you can afford the ammo), and POSSIBLY useful in a self defense situation.

This isn't the 1920-30s where full auto guns were more expensive that others, AND nearly all designs were FULL AUTO ONLY. Compared to sporting arms, the common full autos of that era were heavy, and more expensive, the Tommygun, the BAR, and war trophy bring back belt fed machine guns. Pretty much full auto, ONLY.

And, I agree, for a civilian, other than recreation, there isn't much use for full auto, ONLY. But, today (and for a while now, like half a century or more..) we have had what is called "selective fire" weapons. You choose safe, semi, or full auto with the selector lever or button, etc.

there are many designs of select fire arms that are literally no different from their semi auto counterparts OTHER than the "happy switch". And this is why the anti's have been so successful with the push to ban "assault weapons" because many look exactly like their full auto versions, which are, and have been NFA weapons because they do fire full auto.

I think, if they had never been restricted, select fire would be fairly popular arms, if their price point was not drastically different from their semi version. I think a lot of buyer would get one, just for the ability to have one, "just in case", especially if it were available at little or no extra cost.

Now if the restrictions were lifted today, there would be a huge demand, due to generations of "forbidden fruit" and people wanting to get one, before the Govt changed its mind (again).

Look at military look alike semi autos, which have been on the civilian market for over half a century. They were NOT the most popular guns in the country, they were a small segment of the market. Again, mostly because they were heavy, and expensive, or (in the case of the AR) not in a caliber good for deer in most places. Few deer hunters wanted to lug a 9lb FAL that cost them $150 when a Win/Rem bolt gun in the same caliber was a few pounds lighter and cost them $100 or less...

The fall of the Soviet Union brought a literal flood of Combloc design military style semi autos at dirt cheap prices. This increased the popularity of the type more than a little, but it wasn't until people started pushing the govt to ban them that they became hugely desirable.

It is, ironically, the anti's own efforts to ban them that made (nearly) everyone want one. They (the anti's) literally CREATED the "problem" that they are so upset about.

Quote:
I do think in light of Miller, extra restrictions on fully automatic rifles are particularly hard to justify constitutionally.
I agree. further restrictions on FULLY AUTOMATIC rifles are not justifiable. Considering the tax, the wait time (months) all the investigations needed, including written approval from your local chief LEO, AND that the supply of legal, tranferable full autos is FIXED (only guns on the registry as of May 19, 1986 are allowed to be transferred to civilians, and no new ones may be added to the registry) I don't see where any further restriction serves any purpose what so ever. The only really possible further restriction would be an outright and complete prohibition of ownership.

Our big problem at the moment is people wanting to put all SEMI AUTO (only) arms into the same class as FULL AUTO.

In my state, as of July 1 2019, ALL semi auto rifles are now legally identified as "semi automatic assault rifles". The law now requires an extra waiting period (10 days), mandated training (which does not exist) and some other things, and it doesn't matter if its a Marlin model 60, a Ruger 10/22, a Remington 742 or M1 Garand, or an AR or AK variant. Doesn't matter what cosmetic features it has, or even if it has a detachable magazine, ALL semi auto rifles are now legally "semiautomatic assault rifles" under the law.

I wish it were otherwise, but it seems we are living at the end of an era.
Old September 20, 2019, 01:48 PM   #31
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44AMP
Quote:
I do think in light of Miller, extra restrictions on fully automatic rifles are particularly hard to justify constitutionally.
I agree. further restrictions on FULLY AUTOMATIC rifles are not justifiable. Considering the tax, the wait time (months) all the investigations needed, including written approval from your local chief LEO, AND...
I actually meant that restrictions on fully automatic rifles in excess of those restrictions on arms generally are particularly hard to justify in light of Miller. If the idea is that people are expected to show up with arms of a type suitable for militia service, then restricting modern military arms is exactly what you don't want to do. One who submits the ordinary 4473 and passes the check should be able to take possession of automatic arms with normal magazines, since that is what organized forces use.

For my use, one that doesn't involve modern military tactical doctrine, a fully automatic feature that spends ammunition more quickly than my index finger can just gives me a bigger bill for missing the target even more than I do now.

Last edited by zukiphile; September 20, 2019 at 03:01 PM.
Old September 20, 2019, 03:55 PM   #32
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukiphile
For my use, one that doesn't involve modern military tactical doctrine, a fully automatic feature that spends ammunition more quickly than my index finger can just gives me a bigger bill for missing the target even more than I do now.
While making it exponentially easier to achieve the aforementioned misses.
Jeepaholic
Old September 20, 2019, 04:01 PM   #33
MTT TL

I am a big fan of the 3RB myself. With a little practice two shots will almost always be touching and the third a hair high. Shot placement willing, it doesn't get much better than that.
Old September 20, 2019, 08:03 PM   #34
RayVa

Nothing quite like full auto.... I've been a fan since I first tried it in the Army.