The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 27, 2021, 04:15 PM   #1
Prof Young

209 primers?

I'm posting here under the assumption that "black powder" includes modern in-line muzzle loaders. Forgive me if I'm in the wrong place.

Anyway, is there a difference between the 209 primers that are specifically made for muzzle loaders and the 209 primers that I use when I reload shot shells?

Life is good
Prof Young
Old June 27, 2021, 08:56 PM   #2
NoSecondBest

Yes, the ones made for black powder burn with a lot less heat and power. Most shooters have found out that they don’t work as well as the 209 shotgun primers. With real BP they’re ok, but with powders such as BH209, and T7 they don’t work nearly as well.
Old July 25, 2021, 07:45 AM   #3
NHSHOOTER

What about 209 magnum shotgun primers? Would those be ok to use in my inline, especially shooting pellets?
Old July 25, 2021, 08:42 AM   #4
NoSecondBest

Quote:
What about 209 magnum shotgun primers? Would those be ok to use in my inline, especially shooting pellets?
The primer won’t make any difference, but you might want to reconsider using pellets. They can crack when the bullet is seated on them and at that point they burn completely different than they’re supposed to. You’ll get a lot less unexplained flyers if you use loose powder and you can tailer your charge by volume to get your best accuracy from your gun.
Old July 25, 2021, 01:19 PM   #5
Pahoo

All will work, however???

Quote:
The primer won’t make any difference, but you might want to reconsider using pellets.
You will get various opinions and push-back but personally I agree as the use of pellets vs loose, requires slightly differing techniques. You are looking for performance and working with pellets requires a bit more effort and I'm more traditional. .......

As far as the use of 209 primers; Yes, all and any will work. Suggest you get the lowest power 209, you can buy. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old August 7, 2021, 10:19 AM   #6
Seedy Character

I used nothing but shotgun primers, for several years. (I had a good supply on hand) with pellets, loose powder and "real" BP. No problems with any.

I like the convenience of pellets, but get best groups with Pyrodex R

Bought 500 BP primers "on sale". They ARE different. Weaker? I will stick to shotgun primers for "serious" work. Use the BP primers for "real" BP and plinking.

Having a good supply of Triple 7 pellets, Pyrodex R powder and Goex FF, Pyrodex is best, for me and my rifle. Your results may vary.
Old September 22, 2021, 12:26 PM   #7
Jack O'Conner

I've produced excellent accuracy with 110 grains of loose Triple 7 powder and 295 grain Power Belt bullets. Remington 209 black powder primers. Rifle is a CVA Optima with a Bushnell 1.5X - 4.5X scope sight. Deadly for deer!

Jack
Old September 23, 2021, 04:24 PM   #8
Seedy Character

I used nothing but shotgun primers. I had a huge stash.

Found some BP 209 on sale.

I use them with BP.
Pyrodex and 777 (my fave) get shotgun primers.