The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 23, 2021, 09:31 AM   #26
shafter

Make sure the holster has excellent retention where ever you decide to carry. I've seen bike crashes where the gun has gone flying far from the crash scene.
Old September 23, 2021, 10:00 AM   #27
Pahoo

Doing your best, in your own best ways !!!

Quote:
I would be more concerned about getting a motorcycle safety course under my belt that where I am going to carry a gun
Isn't that the same thinking when one says;
Learn how to swim before you buy a swimsuit.
Carry as you wish, in your ow best ways and by all means, take any classes you need. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old September 23, 2021, 11:28 AM   #28
CajunBass

I rode for a couple of years. Put about 40,000 miles on two different bikes. I carried OWB at first, at least until I had a low speed crash one morning on the way home from work. Scratched the grip on my S&W 39-2 up a bit, but left a pretty good sized bruise on my hip. Nothing really bad, but it hurt for a couple of days. Of course, I pretty well hurt all over anyway.

After that, the gun went into the locking storage compartment until I got where I was going. If anyone ever got excited about seeing me putting it on or taking it off, I never heard about it.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old September 23, 2021, 03:05 PM   #29
Pumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike38 View Post
The first thing everyone that rides needs to realize, the question is not if you are going to crash, the question is when you are going to crash. I don't carry on my person while riding for two reasons. I don't want something bulky and hard on my person while sliding / rolling down the pavement. I don't even carry my wallet while riding. The EMTs may have a more difficult time un-impaling you from your gun. A shoulder holster may sound good, but a gun against your rib cage is going to break said rib cage. Also, you may have more serious injuries if your gun discharges during the crash. I put my carry pistol in a saddle bag. It's possible to discreetly put away or remove the gun to or from a saddle bag. Just get on your knees close to the bike like you are checking the chain, or something, then slip the gun into the bag. Do the same to put it back on your person. I know, I know, people claim they are never going to crash. You may be a great rider, you may be a safe rider, but some idiot cager looking at their cell phone is going to void your riding capabilities.
My thoughts exactly, bad enough hitting something hard without a chunk of something else hard between it and your ribs!
Old September 24, 2021, 12:13 PM   #30
Geezerbiker

In around 50 years of riding and 30 years of concealed carry, I still think the belt pack is the way to go...

Tony
Old September 25, 2021, 08:06 AM   #31
rodfac

I carry while riding (BMW 1200 GS), in my usual 4:00 position. My riding jacket is a hip length Bilt, that covers the gun (3" M60, or P365 Sig).

During really hot weather, I have mesh jacket that comes down to belt height and for that, the gun goes in a seat cantle roll bag. In my wildest dreams I can't imagine the need to use the gun while on the bike, and transferring it from roll bag to my belt discreetly has been no problem. YMMv, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old September 25, 2021, 01:22 PM   #32
Doc Intrepid

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodfac
"In my wildest dreams I can't imagine the need to use the gun while on the bike..."

With great respect, the realm of what is within our imagination is broader than many suppose.

A military truism is 'one does not prepare against what one believes an adversary will do, one prepares against what the adversary is capable of.'

Each on this forum makes their own choices and preparation from their own perspective. It is not for me to judge the deliberations of another.

Example cases just within the last six months:

Oregon State Patrol investigating after motorcyclist shot along Highway 101 near Langlois

https://www.kdrv.com/content/news/OS...575380841.html

September 23, 2021

LANGLOIS, Ore. — Oregon State Police looking for information after a motorcycle rider was shot by the occupants of another vehicle along Highway 101 south of Langlois on Sunday.

https://katu.com/news/local/can-you-...n-oregon-coast

Motorcycle rider shot in road rage incident at I-35W in Fort Worth, TX

June 25, 2021

FORT WORTH, Texas — A man driving a motorcycle is in critical condition after he was shot by another driver at Interstate 35W, Friday, Fort Worth police say. ...The driver of an SUV shot the motorcyclist following a road rage incident, police officials said. It's unclear what sparked it.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/lo...7-97bc97262dd8

Suspect arrested in connection to shooting death of 2 motorcyclists in Rockingham County

May 2021

Police made an arrest Tuesday after two motorcyclists were fatally shot and another was hurt while riding on a North Carolina highway. ...Officials said once the bikers got back on the road, the red truck pulled behind them, heading in the same direction down US-29. …Rockingham County deputies were called to an area about a mile and a half away from the truck stop to the motorcyclists, who had been shot.

https://www.wjbf.com/news/search-con...ingham-county/
https://myfox8.com/news/man-accused-...iminal-record/

https://www.wfmynews2.com/article/ne...1-0f7e74c95406

It remains clear that the probability of being involved is such scenarios is very low. But it is greater than zero.

Your mileage may vary.
Old September 26, 2021, 05:19 PM   #33
Mike38

Quote:
My thoughts exactly, bad enough hitting something hard without a chunk of something else hard between it and your ribs!
The main reason I brought up the broken ribs from a motorcycle crash thing is from experience. A bad experience. Not from a pistol in a shoulder holster, but from a safety item that is worn to help prevent broken ribs, a chest protector. I had 5 broken ribs from a motorcycle accident, and the fractures followed a line on my rib cage that exactly matched the edge of the chest protector. One broken rib punchered a lung, and I had to be life flighted. When the dust settled and I woke up three days later, they told me I was 10 minutes away from death. Broken ribs are very painful. Painful for months. Something I never want to experience again.
Old September 27, 2021, 02:35 PM   #34
rodfac

Quote:
With great respect, the realm of what is within our imagination is broader than many suppose
You are correct Doc , my imagination does not wander quite that far, i.e. successfully engaging in a running gun fight while mounted on a moving motorcycle...Speedy access to a self defense gun after dismounting roadside may make a difference, or not, as there are scenarios an imaginative rider can concoct that are not survivable. Getting blown away by a carload of murderous yahoos while riding at speed is probably one of them.....As always, IMHO, situational awareness and avoidance are far better tactics than moving confrontation, but as you pointed out, YMMv.
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old October 26, 2021, 11:24 AM   #35
Butzbach

Along the same lines as Bourbon Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BourbonCowboy View Post
I haven't ridden a motorcycle since I was a kid...almost 40 years ago. But I do occasionally ride a bicycle. I've been dealing with the same question you're facing, and have been doing my research. I've decided that for my riding and hiking, the best option for me will be the Hill People Gear Recon Kit bag. I can keep a full-sized pistol in a kydex holster in the bag on my chest, and when I get off, I can tuck it into my pants. It also fits well under a backpack and helps to balance out the load.
To the OP
I ride a recumbent bicycle (picture a lawn chair with wheels) 1,500-2,000 miles per year and have since 1995. I carry a Ruger LCR with three speed loaders (drop one, spill one, load one) in an EMT fanny pack on my chest. I have my wallet, phone, and groceries in there too.

The only upgrade I would consider, if I could put the phone and wallet in pockets I don’t have would be a chest rig rather than a shoulder holster. I have a homemade one I use on long automobile rides. A good looking, functional commercial version is the kenai-chest-holster. I don’t own one but it addresses several shortcomings of my home-made rig.

https://gunfightersinc.com/kenai-chest-holster/

Just know that a lot of us on here have boxes of holsters that didn’t make the cut. My advice is to keep testing until you are satisfied. Sometimes you can pass along or sell your rejects to someone for whom they are “just right.” Good luck with your search.

Last edited by Butzbach; October 26, 2021 at 11:29 AM.
Old October 26, 2021, 11:43 AM   #36
zeke

Finally got some health back to start riding again 3 yrs ago. Am not changing my pistol or carrying method to do it, and always have a leather jacket on. 3 in 1911 in summer, commander with 5 in barrel as soon as change over to flannel shirts. In extremely unlikely event some one would attack while riding, would try better braking/acceleration. If needed, would stop and ditch bike. The gun stays hidden even when bike is stopped and jacket off.

Considered left hand shoulder holster, and while right handed can shoot short range left. However it limits taking jacket off, especially difficult during stops in summer.

Considered open carry, but don't like people knowing i am armed. Would not off body carry.

And it's just an opinion of what works for me.
Old October 26, 2021, 03:27 PM   #37
Rockrivr1

I carry a Keltec P3AT in my back pocket of my jeans when I ride. It's not the easiest to draw but I don't wear a jacket while riding in the summer so wouldn't be able to conceal a shoulder holster or something similar. When it cools down I wear a vest and/or jacket and I move the gun to an inside pocket of the vest/jacket. Always up for a new way to carry if it's concealable and comfortable. Just haven't found a way yet that fits my riding style and carry gun other then the way I do it now. Also thinking of moving from an Ultra Limited to an Adventure Bike like the Pan America. Might have to change how I carry when/if that happens.
Old October 26, 2021, 09:03 PM   #38
Seedy Character

Concealed carry vest is a great option.
Son gave me one for Christmas and it works great.