The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 28, 2021, 02:08 PM   #1
Lhigginsqrb

New shotshell hulls from range

I went clay shooting today. Did pretty bad. Maybe 80% breaks with a lot of weak breaks.

Anyway they let me have all the hulls I want. Picked maybe 500-800 and left that many more. I didn’t sort them, just grabbed and went.

I got a few win aa which I’m told are great. Once I get 100 I’ll do a batch. Lots of federal. Some Remington. A ton of these challenger hulls. I’ll upload some pictures soon. I’m trying to get some opinions on which if these if any should be tossed. I’m only loading hunting rounds so I want good hulls. The issue is the recipes get specific so I’m not going to buy wads for them specifically unless they are worth loading a few times. Let’s say 5 runs of 100 or something for the sake of arguement. I know I can get more later I’m just saying.
Old August 28, 2021, 02:48 PM   #2
Lhigginsqrb

I still can’t upload pictures. But specifically what I have is:

Remington nitro handicap
Challenger from Canada
Winchester USA
Remington gun club
Then federal
Old August 28, 2021, 02:51 PM   #3
FITASC

Remingtons and Winchester AA (NOT the other Winchesters) all use the same load data as they are the only hulls that are tapered inside. All of the others are straight-walled hulls and require different wads to perform properly. European hulls have metric sized primers and generally speaking do not do well with US made primers. The same is true is you reload US hulls with Euro ones, they tend to stretch the primer pocket a little and you will need to use Euro primers going forward.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 28, 2021, 02:52 PM   #4
FITASC

As to number of reloads, I get 10-12 from my Remingtons and Winchester AA hulls. Most Euro hulls are typically good for 2-3
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 28, 2021, 03:36 PM   #5
mehavey

Remington GUN CLUB and Winchester AA load effectively the same.
Save that Gun Club are steel base and need to be "conditioned" maybe at 5th loading.*

I also switch back & forth (Skeet loads, mind you) with Fiochi 616/Fed209A and Win209 primers w/o much effect.
(Ditto use of "* below.)

Either THIS from Ballistic Products, or THIS from your garage.
Note I wouldn't have had to do this just two years ago since I'd just w/ a single brand/type.
Nowadays -- you eat whatever you can scrounge
Old August 28, 2021, 03:42 PM   #6
Lhigginsqrb

Nice.

So for the sake of argument if I reloaded the challengers with American primers what specifically wound happen? I may be ok with a one and done reload on those since I have so many. I regretted picking them as soon as I saw Canada on them lol.
Old August 28, 2021, 04:05 PM   #7
mehavey

See here to start the conversation re Challenger/Cheddite:
https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/vie...f=248&t=401508

Then go to https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/rel...c=true&type=55

Use Euro primers if possible, or that 3/8" ratchet extension to "condition" the primer pockets a bit smaller anything smaller.
Old August 28, 2021, 04:31 PM   #8
Lhigginsqrb

So The guy seem to be speaking more or less favorably of them. Probably I won’t need to use them because I have so many of the others that I may play with them just to see. Or I might just toss them and try to get more of the others. I’m driving back to tn with these do space matters.

Thanks for the info.