The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 13, 2018, 06:16 PM   #26
Mike38

I've shot at quite a few ranges, both indoor and outdoor, I shoot competitively. Only once have I had my ammo inspected, and that was because the range had a new rule, no steel jacketed ammo. Never got checked there again, as I think it was only done for a short period just to remind people of the new rule. I have never had my firearms inspected.
Old February 13, 2018, 09:51 PM   #27
TheGunGeek

I've never had my weapons not inspected to some degree. All checked that it was clear, and some have checked for barrel obstructions. I've had RO's that weren't familiar with me have me perform weapon manipulations to demonstrate competency. Now since I'm well known to most, I open the case to show the slide is locked back and I'm good to go.

The ammo inspection is important. Armor piercing ammo can damage the backstop, and people do stupid things like bringing in tracers. At the outdoor rifle range someone brought some in and set the backstop on fire. The indoor range I go to is lead-free frangible only, so they check for this.

I have no issue with any of this, I work safely and I want those around me to do the same, for my own safety. I would prefer not to have to render first aid to someone else (or myself).
Old February 14, 2018, 06:42 PM   #28
Mike38

Quote:
I've never had my weapons not inspected to some degree.
Put that way, I guess my guns get inspected after every string of fire. It's a rule in Precision Pistol competition that you must install an ECI (Empty Chamber Indicator) before walking down range to score and change targets. An assistant range safety officer walks down the line and checks that all ECIs are in place before the head range officer announces the line is safe you may go forward to score and change targets.
Old February 14, 2018, 07:33 PM   #29
Minorcan

For indoor ranges I have never had my weapons inspected and if asked I would probably go elsewhere. Unless I know the person I’m not comfortable letting someone handle my weapons unless I am sure they know what they are doing.

I do have ammo inspected with a magnet to make sure I’m not shooting steel. this seems reasonable as the steel can tear up the backstop.

I have had a couple ROs be interested in some of my vintage guns and want to look at them. I usually am glad to share and even let them shoot a mag or two.
Old February 24, 2018, 12:22 AM   #30
rock185

Nanny1, I began shooting many decades before Al Gore invented the internet. Never had a "Range Officer inspection".
Old February 24, 2018, 02:05 AM   #31
armoredman

I worked at an indoor range 16 years ago and we never did inspections like that. The only time I have any RSO check to ensure my weapon is clear is during Dept qualification. My regular range is unmonitored, so not only is nobody checking anything, there is nobody TO check anything. haven't had anything happen yet, and it's been in operation for decades.
Old February 25, 2018, 02:23 AM   #32
smarquez

The only time I had mine inspected was at Bass Pro's indoor range. They check for loaded guns and put a trigger lock on. With a CCW I can walk in with them loaded carrying my ammo in a small range bag, no inspection or check in.