The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 3, 2018, 10:11 AM   #26
Fishbed77

Quote:
So, after all this, if I were in the market for a TAC 14, and I am, should I go ahead and make the purchase, or run like hell?
Roll the dice. It seems like a lot of folks here are OK with the prospect of the end user having to finish the gun to make it sure operates correctly.
Old October 3, 2018, 05:40 PM   #27
Targa

Quote:
So, after all this, if I were in the market for a TAC 14, and I am, should I go ahead and make the purchase, or run like hell?
I haven’t had any Remington issues but I only own two and one is a 20 year old 870. If you like the TAC 14 get it, as for me I would opt for the Shockwave if I were in the market.
Old October 4, 2018, 02:33 PM   #28
XDforever

I am also considering the Mossberg Shockwave. I like the fact that the Mossberg holds 5+1 versus the TAC14's 4+1.

However, I also have noticed the TAC 14 has a magazine fed version that holds 6+1. Has anyone held, shot, bought one of these Magazine fed versions. How does it do?

Joe
Old October 21, 2018, 09:03 AM   #29
Orion6

I have two recent Remington purchases and both were fine. The last year or so they seem to have re-commited to putting out better quality. Think of the volume they produce; there are going to be some lemons. Same as cars.

On the Customer Service front, I’ve found that with any company, a phone call (not an email) and pleasant demeanor help a lot.
Old October 21, 2018, 10:38 AM   #30
pete2

"Don't blame Remington", Of course you have to blame Remington, 5 minutes to polish a chamber wouldn't add .50 to the price of the 870. BLAME REMINGTON.
Old October 21, 2018, 04:08 PM   #31
FITASC

Quote:
"Don't blame Remington", Of course you have to blame Remington, 5 minutes to polish a chamber wouldn't add .50 to the price of the 870. BLAME REMINGTON.
Of course it would; it requires extra handling; extra personnel; extra machinery, and extra shop space. In the meantime, they are trying to compete with Chinese 870 clones made by folks who $.50/hour
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 21, 2018, 05:54 PM   #32
oldscot3

I recently purchased a 20 gauge 870 from Walmart. Camo all over, screw in chokes, takes 3" shells, and came with extra spacers to lengthen the buttstock.

I can't find a flaw in fit, finish or function.

My only gripe, I posted here right after purchasing it, is the comb is high for me. I could use a little more drop to get level on the rib. Bottom line, that's not a manufacturing defect.

Last edited by oldscot3; October 21, 2018 at 06:01 PM.
Old October 21, 2018, 07:36 PM   #33
mehavey

Quote:
....can't find a flaw in fit, finish or function.
The test is El Cheapo Winchester Whitebox/steel base ammunition*

Have you tried it yet?

*(Win WhiteBox, Win "USA" and Field & Stream "Game & Target" all appear to be made by the same Federal outfit in Akron)
Old October 21, 2018, 10:19 PM   #34
oldscot3

Nope, but I've run quite a bit of low brass federal and remington through it now.
Old October 22, 2018, 05:28 AM   #35
mehavey

If those are steel base material (glom onto magnet), then you got a good one.
Old October 22, 2018, 05:10 PM   #36
oldscot3

Awww... do I have to shoot steel base? Low brass Walmart fodder is cheap enough and it works. Why bother with steel base?
Old October 22, 2018, 05:27 PM   #37
mehavey

`Cause that's the test.
Old October 22, 2018, 07:02 PM   #38
FITASC

Quote:
Awww... do I have to shoot steel base? Low brass Walmart fodder is cheap enough and it works. Why bother with steel base?
NOT talking about the payload, but the hull head material. Unless you buy REM STS or WIN AAs, you are buying steel based ammo.........all of the cheap Federal crap, Winchester Universals or Super Speeds are all crappy steel based ammo - and some of the WORST crap you can buy.......
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 23, 2018, 12:08 PM   #39
oldscot3

Yes, understood, the base not the pellets. If the Feds, however are steel base, they must be brass plated, which would be no real surprise.

Nevertheless, I guess my 870 passed the test with flying colors.

I've run several hundred rounds of the shells I purchased at Walmart, including the low base Federal mentioned, and so far, they've all run right through without a single hiccup. Maybe I better go buy a lotto ticket, seems my luck is red hot if new Remingtons are as bad as some suggest.
Old October 25, 2018, 10:45 AM   #40
jfruser

All my Remingtons are kinda old, so I can not comment on the newer production(1).

I can, however, testify that both my 870s and my 1100 run with the cheapest, nastiest low-price fodder I have been able to get my hands on. High-brass, low-brass, low-steel, even shells without any metal on the hull except the primer.

Yes, even my 1100 runs steel base and no-metal-base target shells just fine. What chokes it is purpose-built Herters low-recoil 12ga target fodder that gets a claimed 1050fps or so. Those are not built for semi-autos. I dearly love them for my 870s, though. My sone can shoot his 12ga 870 al day with no fatigue from recoil.

(1) Hard to pass up an old 870 Police or Wingmaster with a fixed choke & no rib bbl for fewer $$$ than a new Express. Once I learned that I really don't need interchangeable chokes for my kind of hunting, all those cheap fixed-choke guns became more interesting to me.
Old December 19, 2018, 05:28 PM   #41
OldManInOklahoma

Remington Banlkri[

The combination of the recent high demand for guns and inevitable cost shaving implemented went a bankrupt company with solid products and good name is take over by folks with money that only care about squeezing the last cent out the assets the picked up for a dime or two on the dollar is to use the good name to sell cheap products to make a bigger markup before they run it into the found and have another bankruptcy sale 10 years later to be rid of the bills they want settle for 30 cents on the dollar when the next group of investors buy it.

Selling from on group to the next to avoid Serial Bankruptcy laws.

Years, following years, steal something every day;
At last they steal us from ourselves away. - Horace
Old December 19, 2018, 06:18 PM   #42
FITASC

Quote:
The combination of the recent high demand for guns and inevitable cost shaving implemented went a bankrupt company with solid products and good name is take over by folks with money that only care about squeezing the last cent out the assets the picked up for a dime or two on the dollar is to use the good name to sell cheap products to make a bigger markup before they run it into the found and have another bankruptcy sale 10 years later to be rid of the bills they want settle for 30 cents on the dollar when the next group of investors buy it.
Please try some punctuation to make your post readable.
Old December 20, 2018, 09:04 AM   #43
300Whspr

I now have 3 870's in my safe:
  • an early 90's vintage Express Magnum 12ga Combo gun that came with the 28" vent rib RemChoke barrel and a 20" rifle sight smoothbore fixed IC deer barrel. This one is my sweetheart, somewhere between 10K and 20K rounds through it, and I don't remember even a single hiccup with it. Lots of hunting trips, deer, turkey, rabbit, doves, crows, a few coyotes, and an bunch of trap and skeet shooting.
  • About a month ago, I bought a 12ga pistol grip 870 "Tactical" with 18" Cylinder bore barrel #81199 for a house gun. I ran about half a box of Winchester "Universal" 7 1/2's through it, and the recoil hit me in the web between my thumb and finger so bad that I could not use my hand to write with for about 4 days afterward. I have read that the grip that came with it is the "TacStar" brand. I replaced the pistol grip with the included shoulder stock, and then put about 100 more rounds through it (the cheap Win "universal" loads). Function has been flawless, although granted, 100 rounds isn't much of a test. But, it WORKS, no issues.
  • Yesterday evening, I picked up my third 870, one that I have been wanting for a LONG time... an 870 Express 20ga 28" RemChoke. I didn't get it home in time to put a few rounds through it last night before it got dark, so we'll do that later today. But, the action is smooth on it as you would expect, and visually everything looks perfect, I can't find any obvious flaws anywhere. I stripped it completely down to clean all the preservative oil out of it and everything looked flawless, as you would want.

The only thing I'm not 100% on is the plastic trigger group on the newer ones, but for now I'll trust that Remmy knows what they're doing.

So, for the 2 new ones that I've bought in the last month, I'll give them 2 thumbs up! If I have any problems with the new 20ga, I'll put them here.

Last edited by 300Whspr; December 20, 2018 at 09:11 AM.
Old December 20, 2018, 01:35 PM   #44
300Whspr

2 Thumbs Up!

Just came in from working my brand new 20ga Express over...

Two boxes (50 rounds) of ElCheapo Winchester and Federal's.

Perfect functioning, no issues whatsoever.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0673[2]_cr.jpg (219.2 KB, 30 views)
Old December 20, 2018, 01:56 PM   #45
300Whspr

Quote:
NOT talking about the payload, but the hull head material. Unless you buy REM STS or WIN AAs, you are buying steel based ammo.........all of the cheap Federal crap, Winchester Universals or Super Speeds are all crappy steel based ammo - and some of the WORST crap you can buy.......
Just curious as to what you're basing your above statement on.

I know it's not top shelf, premium ammunition, but what makes it not only crap, but the WORST crap you can buy?

I'm sure they have chilled shot at best, maybe only soft shot, but the Winchesters have AA wads that look like they survived their moment of fame pretty well, The Federals look like they have a 2 piece wad, that does it's job. They both seem to use fairly clean burning powders, so...?

It's not like they're buffering the shot with river sand, or they're using the dirtiest, cheapest, nastiest uncleaned reclaimed shot or anything like that?

In my experience, they're just good, basic, low cost shotshells, that actually seem to perform pretty decently.

The hulls are usually good enough to get at least 2-3 reloads out of (or at least they used to be...)

Like I said, are they really that bad, or is it just a bit of ammo snobbery?
Old December 21, 2018, 09:12 AM   #46
Ricklin

Light trap loads

I have garbage bags full of Remington gun club hulls. Yes they are all steel some are plated brass, some are just steel.

I get 5-8 reloads per hull. Never have an issue with them. It is important they don't get wet. I also reload the STS hulls of course. In my experience there really is little to no difference.

I use the STS hulls for 1 1/8 oz. handicap loads. Not because they are better hulls, just to tell the difference between my 1 oz. practice loads and the handicap loads.

I have zero issues with the Remington steel headed hulls.
Old December 21, 2018, 09:14 AM   #47
stonewall50

remington shotguns

Quote:
Originally Posted by siloshooter View Post
been a lot of talk about remington guns losing their quality the last few years . i have no way personally to verify this or dispel it either . have not purchased a remington arm since i got my 870 express home protection gun in 2008 ... 10 years ago. it was manufactured in 2007, or 2008 i do believe.

was this gun made before the so called " down hill slide " of remington ?

it works great , great super smooth pump action & a really neat parkerized finish ...... just curious .

Yes. They went downhill. Quality control problems that they allegedly fixed. But you know how the gun world is. Once you get a reputation? It sticks.

I have 2 870s. One is my age (about 30) and the other I won in a competition 13 years ago. The old one is VERY reliable and has slain turkey and duck and geese and deer across many states and has...to my knowledge only jammed due to an inexperienced youth who was new to pumps putting a shell in backwards (that wasn’t...ok it was). My new one? Jammed like crazy and locked the slide with cheap ammo. Had to buy a flex hone and polish the barrel a bit to stop that. Works every time now. Going to be shotgun hunting a pig soon. Guess which gun will be used? Lol.
Old December 21, 2018, 09:21 AM   #48
AmmunitionDepot

I have always had good luck with my Remington 870 Express and 700. But I also got them in the early 2000's so maybe this was before the quality downfall that you're talking about.
Old December 21, 2018, 10:57 AM   #49
Drm50

I have a 1966 Wingmaster that looks new. The reason is I have never trusted it since I bought it new. There is nothing wrong with the way it shoots only the fits it takes with jams.
I bought as a slug gun and had a VR FC barrel. I sold the FC barrel years ago. Some of my
Rem nut buddie's say I haven't shot it enough to break it in. Maybe so but I got tired of having to dump the guts out of magazine in the field to clear jams. It was only used when
realatves or friends come in from out of town and needed to barrow a gun.
Old December 21, 2018, 11:22 AM   #50
300Whspr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drm50
I have a 1966 Wingmaster that looks new. The reason is I have never trusted it since I bought it new. There is nothing wrong with the way it shoots only the fits it takes with jams.
I bought as a slug gun and had a VR FC barrel. I sold the FC barrel years ago. Some of my
Rem nut buddie's say I haven't shot it enough to break it in. Maybe so but I got tired of having to dump the guts out of magazine in the field to clear jams. It was only used when
realatves or friends come in from out of town and needed to barrow a gun.
Is it getting "short shucked"? When it jams, exactly what happens?