The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 2, 2018, 06:18 PM   #1
Panfisher

Stock drop on Rem 870

Habe a Rem 20 gauge, 870 express with laminated stock. Nice enough little gun but doesn't have enough drop in the stock for m, certainly not as much as my 1187. Trying to figure out how to "drop" it some. I am not afraid of trimming it slightly where it bolts to the receiver, would be a pain to redo the in letting around it though. Any other options? Couldn't find anything on shims for it.
Old September 2, 2018, 07:18 PM   #2
Virginian

Used to be 14 LOP- 1/5/8 DAC, 2-1/2 DAH. Now its listed as 1-1/2" DAC - that's for the Wingmasters.
Old September 3, 2018, 12:42 AM   #3
idek

How much do you want to stick with the laminated stock? Seeing as the gun in question has more aftermarket support than any other shotgun in existence, you shouldn't have trouble finding a stock you'd like better.
Old September 3, 2018, 10:36 AM   #4
Panfisher

I guess realistically I don't care about the stock very much, I like it but not gonna lose sleep over it either way. I did take it off and folded up some aluminum foil to put between the stock and the shim to see what it would do. Does come up better. Trying to talk myself into cutting g it off, from nothing removed at the top to all of the I letter part at the bottom, then spend the time with a razor knife re cutting the inletted part. Might be a winter project. Doesn't get used much and wasn't very expensive so I am not wanting to drop a lot of $ into it, but a shotgun that doesn't fit isn't worth anything to me.
Old September 3, 2018, 11:35 AM   #5
idek

The mention of the aluminum foil reminded me that I'd done something similar with magnetic strip tape as poor man's shims on a couple H&R/NEF shotguns in the past. It really didn't matter that it was magnetic. What mattered was that it was thin, pliable, easily trimmed to size, and the black didn't stand out too much against the receiver.
Old September 3, 2018, 01:01 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

Less fuss to replace the stock with one that fits the way you want it to. You will not be able to "drop" it some with the existing butt stock. Remember that the LOP matters too.
The laminated stock doesn't appear to be offered any more. Hardwood or synthetic only now. However, as mentioned, there's no shotgun that has more aftermarket stuff available. The 20 gauge will be an issue though. Most aftermarket stuff is for 12 gauge.
"...anything on shims..." Shims do nothing for the comb height. Which what you're talking about.
Gunparts has lots of replacement butt stocks. Not exactly cheap though. That ugly old Press Checkered Gloss(polyurethane plastic) Walnut runs $114.95. Couple nicer finishes for a bit less though.
Dunno if these guys can help or not, but they do sound like they might be able to. https://stockpositioning.com/
"...that's for the Wingmasters..." Anything that fits a 20 gauge Wingmaster will fit a 20 gauge Express. The only difference between 'em is the finish and stock material. As I recall the 20 gauge receivers are a bit smaller than a 12.
Old September 3, 2018, 01:48 PM   #7
Panfisher

Well the comb height is fine, unless I wanted to cut a dish out of it, and no thank you there are plenty of other ways to get my face beat up. Problem with ordering a new stock I am not very trusting of getting one with more drop at the heel than what I have. If I have to order another one then I don't really have much to lose working on this one. Length of pull is just fine.
Old September 3, 2018, 04:03 PM   #8
Panfisher

Another dumb question to go along with this. After 3 applications of folded up tin foil I have the amount of drop where I like it. It does leave a gap about the thickness of say a nickel at the top when all tightened down. It there anything that can be damaged if I leave it that way to test/try. Sure did make a huge difference it how it come up, don't have to hunch down on the stock anymore.