The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 8, 2016, 03:44 PM   #1
Tinker fan

Where can I find info on the legality of modifications

Hey guys,
I really enjoy modifying firearms, theres just something about starting with a brand new stock gun and transforming it peice by peice into something special. Most of the time I dont worry much about modifications because in the past they have been simple little things like changing out a stock, or adding a scope. Nothing all that crazy. Now Ive hit a point where one of my firearms I want to go the more tactical route, but i dont want to break the law. My state is pretty relaxed about gun laws, but I want to make sure things are federally legal before I make any modifications. Things like verticle front grips, high capacity magazines and that realm of things is where my knowledge gets fuzzy. I want to modify this gun without crossing any lines, so I can still take it to the range without problems, or heaven forbid get charged with a crime. Id love resources for me to study up on more than a list of legal and illegal modifications.
Old July 8, 2016, 05:31 PM   #2
raimius

At the federal level, the NFA and 922(r) for imported firearms are the prominent pieces of law.
Old July 8, 2016, 06:57 PM   #3
kilimanjaro

If you want to modify an imported rifle, the 922(r) regulations are crucial to know.
Old July 9, 2016, 12:47 AM   #4
kozak6

At the federal level, for a rifle, it's not too bad.

If it's a rifle, it needs to have at least a 16" barrel and at least 26" overall length. Your intended rifle is likely rifled and under .50 caliber, so that makes things easier.

For a domestically produced rifle, threaded barrels, pistol grips, hi-cap mags, none of it matters. 922r is only an issue for imported rifles.

If it's a pistol, it can be a little more complicated.

What kind of firearm and configuration did you have in mind?
Old July 10, 2016, 01:35 PM   #5
Jim March

My modified revolver:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...-fed-revolver/