The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 1, 2001, 09:51 PM   #1
Jamie Young

Range Finding Binoculars?

Can anyone tell me if there are any Good ones out there for under $300?
Old October 2, 2001, 05:26 AM   #2
David Park

I'm not sure what you mean by "range-finding", and by "good." I have a pair of Steiner M22s with the mil-dot reticle, but they're more than $300. I don't have experience with laser rangefinders, but at that price you might be better off with a higher-quality monocular.
Old October 2, 2001, 12:08 PM   #3
hksigwalther

I have a Tasco that is a copy of the Steiner manual rangefinding one (I think its called the Commander or Mariner or something). Exact functional copy with ranging recticle, internal compass, and internal light (powered by a watch battery). It has a sliderule-type ring on one of its objective bell that aids in calculating distance. Surprisingly, it actually works very well.

Given a known or estimated height of an object, e.g., the height of the shoulders of a deer or the height of a man, you find what hashmark the object is on the recticle and calcualte distance with the ring. IIRC, it cost me <$300. They have coated lens models now for a little over $300 I think.

As for the laser range finder ones, the articles I've read indicate that the much higher ended ones are the most accurate ones. The reason being that they put out a tighter laser pattern. A broader pattern that the lower end ones have spreads the laser over a larger area and could cause the detector to pick up a reading closer or farther than the intended target. Unfortunately, those higher end models, generally from Europe, are well above $1K.
Old October 10, 2001, 04:43 PM   #4
Vern Brink

I have the Offshore 36 and I like them. There are better out there, but at a substantially higher cost. Check out the old review.

http://www.snipercountry.com/TascoOS36.htm
Old October 13, 2001, 12:53 AM   #5
Jamie Young

Thats actually a pretty cool Combo. I like to take my little Binoculars down the shore and do some ship searching. I'm looking for an Exact duplicate of the Binoculars Luke Skywalker had in............... Just kidding

Steiner seems to be the Kick Ass brand out there. I saw a few of them but they were in the $600 range

Old October 13, 2001, 06:40 AM   #6
clown714

i have a pair of bushnell 400 laser range finders.paid <$200.uses 9v.batt.suits my needs perfectly.for ranging objects from my tree stand to informal target practice.i think it was money well spent.although,somewhat bulky