The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 5, 2001, 07:56 PM   #51
Gary H

Two folks reported that it came with a single choke. Mine arrived with one installed and two in the case. Very strange. Maybe the manager at my local W.M. was nicer to me that I realized. Still some available in the S.F. North Bay area.
Old July 5, 2001, 08:23 PM   #52
johnbt

BigG - I plan to use mine for some of my duck hunting this fall, but I'll be shooting the expensive bismuth or tungsten shells if I find something that patterns well.

If I'm feeling friendly I'll lend my new Wal-Mart Special to my "guide" for the season. His rusty 1100 is 15 years old and the stock is cracked behind the receiver. We'll see.

Gary H - You got THREE choke tubes? Never, ever heard of such a thing with a lower-end-of-the-price-range Remington. But what do I know? I'm glad you got them because I already had a full set for my 870.

My only complaint about my 1100 is that they put it in the Styrofoam when the metal finish was still wet - or something. What a mess. Black stuff was rubbing off on everything - me, the box and the workbench. I had to take it apart and hose it down with Gunscrubber before I could shoulder it the first time. Maybe it was just packed in old crankcase oil. It cleaned up just fine.

John
Old July 6, 2001, 12:34 AM   #53
norielX

Oh please, oh please still be there....

I've been following this thread for a while, and locally, I've seen them for $369. I haven't seen the $328's yet. Looks like I may have to put this on layaway. If the price drops while they're on layaway, do I get the lower price? How much do they usually want up front?
Old July 6, 2001, 01:19 AM   #54
Ben V

Gary H - I'm in the North Bay near Travis, I called around but no luck. Can you point me in the right direction please.
Old July 6, 2001, 08:36 AM   #55
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

BigG, some of my guns have names, like my GM carry gun is Justin Case, that parts 870 with the mongrel finishes is Frankenstein, and my glossy, beautiful 870 TB trap claycruncher is Lucille, like BB King's guitar.

As to why any vehicle I drive is named Rocinante, read Cervantes.

Back to the 1100s. All the cheaper Remingtons come with one choke tube. Those of us who lucked out and got more on these were taking unconscious advantage of the ignorance of the employees there.
My guess, they grabbed the nearest empty box marked 1100 and used that.

In any case, Remchoke tubes are neither expensive nor scarce. For shot use, get an open choke like Skeet I or IC, and a Full or Extra Full to complement the issue Modified. That's all it takes to be fully equipped, maybe another $50.

I'd add sling studs, and it would be ready to hunt...
Old July 6, 2001, 08:43 AM   #56
BigG

I know Rocinante! I LOVE Don Quixote. Maybe I'll call mine Sancho! The Rem choke tubes at Walmart were $14.00 unfortunately they were all modified!!
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old July 6, 2001, 08:46 AM   #57
Guyon

norielX,

At my local Wal-Mart, they want 10% up front. And I was assured by the two sporting goods clerks, as well as the layaway clerk, that if a price drop mandate does come in from the ominous "home office" (where Sam Walton's ghost kicks about the corridors), I'm assured of the lower price. The layaway period at this Wally World is 60 days. I think you have to make some sort of payment (basically a show of good will--even $1) within 30 days. Who knows? Maybe they'll go down even more in two months.

There is one possible glitch though, and I may have just gotten lucky. According to the posted guidelines, layaways are not supposed to work on "clearance" items, and as far as I know, these guns are clearance items. Some of them I've seen in display cases even have had the red clearance price stickers. I foolishly asked about this stipulation. But when the layaway clerk punched in the bar code number, the computer did allow her access for layaway. Her exact words were, "It may be clearance, but I'm going to do it anyway." Had I not mentioned "clearance," she would have never even thought about it. I think I just caught a break there.

Hope it works out for you. It's a good looking shotgun, and even at $328, an excellent price.
Old July 6, 2001, 08:52 AM   #58
Guyon

Hey Dave McC,

How hard is it to add sling studs to synthetic stocks? Any tips about placement/technique? Brand name?
Old July 6, 2001, 09:51 AM   #59
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Can't help you there, Guyon, all my shotguns have wood. I think a note on the Smithy Forum would get you an answer PDQ.

Most of mine(all wood stocks)are done with Uncle Mike's QD studs, but these are pretty generic items. On 870s and 1100s, the front stud's built into the mag cap.
Old July 6, 2001, 10:06 AM   #60
BigG

Howbout Dulcinea for a raven haired 12 ga beauty??
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

Old July 6, 2001, 11:23 AM   #61
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Sounds good to me, Big!!
Old July 6, 2001, 06:32 PM   #62
niekamp

I've check 3 walmarts around here without luck. None in Stock. Does anyone happen to know a walmart in ohio that does have some in stock?

Thanks guys, Just registered with the forum, great place....
Old July 6, 2001, 06:38 PM   #63
Gary H

I was told that none were in stock when that was not the case. I guess that isn't much help. Use the zipcode function at www.walmart.com to find a location. Just go down the list until you find yours.
Old July 7, 2001, 08:36 PM   #64
MiniZ

I picked one of the Wal Mart specials up today. My first two trips were unsuccesful(none in stock), but on the third I hit paydirt. I asked what the price was, but Beaver Cleaver behind the counter did not have a clue. He ran to the back and brought back the box marked $400.00. I suggested he scan it, and sure enough, $328.00. I had to get the display model(last one), but it was worth it to me, as I am a fanatic about the 1100(despite its shortcomings).

I have a suggestion for those who might be on the fence on getting one of these "WalMart 1100s". If you really want an 1100, buy it now if you can get it for $328.00 I don't think that the stores will be ordering more once the stock on hand is gone. If you were only thinking of buying one if the price dropped even lower, then I guess there is no harm in waiting.

Zane
Old July 9, 2001, 10:35 AM   #65
johnbt

Is it possible to limp-shoulder an 1100?

I put off shooting my Wally World Special until I could visit my folks and go with my dad to his club. (I also spent a little more than a week in Quepos, Costa Rica fishing and hanging out. The best day out put 11 sailfish in the boat out of 18 hookups, although the largest was only 120 pounds.)

To get to the point, I had a new box of 1-ounce #8 lead shells. I loaded one and fired one. Then I loaded two and fired one - the bolt locked back. We shot the rest of the box three at a time without a problem.

The patterns were good with IC, MOD and FULL and seemed to put about 60% above the POA, although I haven't counted the holes yet for a exact figure.

I well pleased with the gun, but was wondering if limp-shouldering is a possible cause of the bolt locking open. The gun was cleaned and lubed and the gas ports were clear.

John
Old July 9, 2001, 11:45 AM   #66
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

John, I envy you your fishing trip(G).

More likely limpshouldering isn't the problem. Shotguns tell us when we're doing it wrong very directly.Sub dermal hemotomas are great teaching aids. More likely, a little breaking in period is called for. MOST new guns work better after a few hundred rounds.Unless the problem persists after a couple of hundred rounds, I'd either live with it or use heavier loads. 1 oz is borderline for some 12 gauges, especially new ones not work polished.

Clean it,lube it properly and I'll wager a flagon of mead this isn't a problem a case of shells down the road....
Old July 9, 2001, 12:18 PM   #67
BigG

Dave and other shotgunners:

I'm thinking of calling 'er Delilah after that ATA shoot!

This refers to my Walmart 1100.

Old July 9, 2001, 12:34 PM   #68
Ledbetter

johnbt

The first time I shot my 1100, I had removed all the packing grease first, which should be done IMHO. This includes cleaning out the two 1/16" gas ports that run from the bottom of the barrel.

As is my habit, I fired the first shot from my new gun at hip level, rather than at eye level. The recoil wasn't enough to cycle the action (no shoulder) and the bolt locked open, exactly as you describe. I haven't had any jams or failures to cycle firing from the shoulder.

Regards to all.

P.S. Dave McC, thanks for your recent trap posts. Been lurking
Old July 9, 2001, 01:25 PM   #69
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Call it anything you want, BigG, and enjoy.

You're welcome, Led...
Old July 9, 2001, 02:39 PM   #70
taco

I checked 2 WM in my area and called 4 more this weekend and everybody told me the same price $410. Every store had couple so I guess I'll have to wait to see if the price goes down.
Old July 9, 2001, 03:46 PM   #71
Gary H

Walmart Rhonert Park has Four

That's the good news. Price is $328. My second one came with but one choke.
Old July 9, 2001, 08:43 PM   #72
johnbt

Thanks.

That's what I figured about the 1-ounce loads, but I wanted something to entice my father to shoot the new 12 ga. and a box of low-brass 8s did the trick.

He'll be 80 come January and doesn't like having his trifocals and hearing aids rearranged by recoil

John

Dave McC - You should go. Round-trip, with a little shopping, from Reagan National to Miami to San Jose, Costa Rica was only $532.10 on American Airlines. The daily puddle jumper to Quepos was about $45 one-way. We called San Jose and had them send a 6-seat plane for us for the return leg and that was only $60 each(We wanted to leave later in the day.) Rooms are very reasonable, say $25 to $180 a night, and the food is wonderful. We stayed in nearly-new condos and paid around $45/night each(total for 3 units divided by 7 of us.)

The Quepos 'airport' is a single asphalt strip with a little thatched building at one end selling cokes, beer and sandwiches. You could rent a car, ride the bus or take a taxi from San Jose, but it is 155 miles and takes 3 or 3.5 hours. I was told that when the road was put in the mid-60s it took 7 hours on the bus.

Lots of gringos there and folks from around the world. This will tell you a little about the area - everyone speaks Spanish, but the AA meetings in Quepos are at 10:00 a.m., 7 days a week, and are in ENGLISH. Spanish interpreter provided if needed
Old July 10, 2001, 04:04 AM   #73
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

John,right now Daughter's a soph, attending U of Md, Wife's taking computer courses, and Son (14) is taking college courses over the summer including one on CAD(Aceing it too). Some scholarship/grant money, but by and large we're paying for it. Once all these folks get their degrees, things will be different. I've promised myself a decent trip, but it'll be Alaska, in memory of a friend. Reagan's about 45 minutes from here in light traffic.

Funny about those AA meetings. Don't need them myself, tho Wife says there should be a 12 step program for trap addicts(G)...

Back to 1100s,just shoot it some and things will improve, IMO.

Last edited by Dave McC; July 12, 2001 at 05:42 AM.
Old July 11, 2001, 01:11 PM   #74
RHC

Man, I knew I should have been checking in on the firing line while I was on vacation. $328 for an 1100? Where are my car keys?
Old July 27, 2001, 10:55 PM   #75
Ben V

Hello All,

I just did my paperwork for an 1100 at WM in Woodland, CA
369.00 is what they had on the tag I should have asked for them to scan the bar code just to see if the computer had it there for 328.00.
Anyway does anyone still have their reciept with 328.00 on it? The guy behind the counter suggested I bring a copy in to show to the manager and maybe they'll match the price!
I'll let everyone know if it works.

Later

Ben V