The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 15, 2014, 09:24 PM   #1
Noreaster

Remington 870 express

Recently purchased a Rem. 870 express and I couldn't be happier. I've had bad luck with Remington in the past (about ten years ago) but this one is really nice and runs smooth. Even the wood stock is better than expected. I'm very impressed with this shotgun.
Old March 15, 2014, 09:54 PM   #2
Cary

I purchased an 870 Express in 20 gauge during 2013 and have been real happy with it as well. I keep a coat of Breakfree CLP on all the metal parts and keep it dry. I've had no problems with rust on the steel. It is a fun gun to shoot. Enjoy your new gun.
Cary
Old March 15, 2014, 10:41 PM   #3
4runnerman

First and only shotgun I ever owned was a Remington 870 Wing Master 12 ga. It was a great shotgun. Never needed anything else or wanted anything else. Sold it maybe 10 years ago now since I don't hunt any more,but have fond memorys of early morning hunts.
Old March 16, 2014, 12:12 AM   #4
Fishbed77

The last two 870 Express shotguns I've had much experience with had serious problems with extracting shells. They've kind of soured me on new Remingtons (which is a shame, because I love my older Remmies).
Old March 16, 2014, 10:10 AM   #5
Noreaster

I was also soured by Remington, specifically shotguns, but this one is a keeper. I hope this is consistent with Remington from now on.
Old March 16, 2014, 10:49 AM   #6
Pahoo

Seeing is believing !!

Quote:
Recently purchased a Rem. 870 express and I couldn't be happier.
Wow, that is refreshing for a change and going to have to take a current look at one as perhaps they have corrected some of their quality problems. Historically I have been a Remington man most of my hunting life. I have an older Express that has served me well but in recent years, have stopped recommending the newer ones. I'm glad you found a good one ....

Be Safe !!!
Old March 16, 2014, 01:07 PM   #7
Sheikyourbootie

The 870 express I gave to my father, I THOUGHT I solved the extraction problem by polishing the chamber. Last month we were practicing with our trap thrower and it start having issues again. I guess I should have just taken it in to our local gunsmith right from the get go.

Took it to our gunsmith and the first thing he checked was the chamber, and it's actually so small it's out of spec. Also out of spec is that the breech sits so far back that the bolt was peening the breech. The mim parts were not even de-burred and he has replaced them with forged/machined parts.

I'm sure we're in for a couple hundred in gunsmithing to get this gun working up to snuff. The express is NOT a wingmaster of days gone by, that's for sure. I hope freedom group gets their collective crap together.
Old March 16, 2014, 02:19 PM   #8
Virginian

The Express was never supposed to be a Wingmaster. Only issue I have seen was rough chambers, easily solved with a brake cylinder hone. Wrapping steel wool around a brush isn't polishing, it's burnishing, and if you have any ridges it's no help. I have also seen Mossbergs, Novas, and even BPSs being beat on the ground with the new cheaper shells. I am afraid I do not trust "gunsmiths'" evaluations involving guns belonging to people who are not knowledgeable. Sort of like the women and car mechanics scenario.
If you shop at Safeway or Albertsons get set for a shock. Cerberus Capital Management owns them too.
Old March 17, 2014, 09:34 AM   #9
Ohio Shootist

The question with the 870 Express is, "Compared to what?" Everybody seems to agree that the Express isn't the gun that the Wingmaster is, but for the price, most prospective buyers will be comparing with a Mossberg 500, or with a Turkish or Chinese gun.
Old March 17, 2014, 10:13 AM   #10
Pahoo

We are not as good as we use to be !!!

Quote:
The question with the 870 Express is, "Compared to what?"
Simple answer is that the quality of the newer ones have not been as good as the older ones. Obviously you are not in a position to make the comparisons. I am fortunate to own an older one and I can always count on it's performance. I will admit that in 30yrs. of service I had to finally replace the Mag. spring. Liked it so much that I bought two "current" issues for my Grandsons and they have required more attention. .....

There is really no way for someone to compare a new Express to "any" Wingmaster. The only thing they have in common is that they are both Remington pump shotguns. ....
Old March 17, 2014, 10:30 AM   #11
Ohio Shootist

Well, I have an older, fixed-choke Wingmaster that is wonderful. The action really is as smooth as glass. I'd like to have a screw-choke gun, but the comments on this board have kind of turned me off the Express. Is it possible that a Mossberg might give you more for less? I kind of like this Cabela's model 500 Classic:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...3Bcat104803380

I'd consider a new Wingmaster, but they're pricey for a pump; it would be hard for me to spend nearly as much for one as a good new semi-auto, like an 11-87 or Beretta A300, would cost.
Old March 17, 2014, 10:55 AM   #12
Virginian

Heads up the "newer" Expresses are a definite step up in my opinion. And by newer, I don't mean since 2000. The Express is the same gun as a Wingmaster with a VERY few different parts and a lot less spit and polish.
Old March 22, 2014, 02:32 PM   #13
dgludwig

Quote:
The Express is the same gun as a Wingmaster with a VERY few different parts and a lot less spit and polish.
This is true. The Wingmaster and the Express are essentially the same gun. As you say, the only real difference is the finish and workmanship that goes into the making of either gun. And, depending on individual specimans being compared, this can amount to a pretty big difference and is reflected in the cost associated with buying one.
Old March 23, 2014, 10:12 PM   #14
.300 Weatherby Mag

Quote:
I'd consider a new Wingmaster, but they're pricey for a pump; it would be hard for me to spend nearly as much for one as a good new semi-auto, like an 11-87 or Beretta A300, would cost.
As many problems as I've personally had with newer Wingmasters.. I decided to pick up a Browning BPS... Haven't regretted it at all...
Old March 24, 2014, 02:37 PM   #15
dgludwig

No cause for regret now or in the future, .300 Weatherby Mag. There's no better pump shotgun being made today than the Browning BPS, imo.