The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 28, 2012, 07:46 PM   #1
ctshep97

Looking for new carry pistol

i am looking for a new carry pistol and have narrowed it down to 3.the beretta storm compact,stouger couger or m&p 9c. i have a s&w 59 so the sa/da does not bother me. i am not sure about a stricker pistol as i have not owned one before. any input would be helpfull. thanks
Old December 28, 2012, 08:13 PM   #2
redrick

From your list I would pick the M&P9c. I like the same trigger pull .
Old December 28, 2012, 08:28 PM   #3
ClydeFrog

New Walther PPX, PX4 C....

I'd wait about 3mo for the new slick Walther PPX. It's in .40 & 9x19mm.
It's a hammer fired, DA only(smooth action), ambi control polymer sidearm. The reported US retail price is around; $450.00.
The Beretta PX4 line is a great value. I had a PX4 full size in C format with no problems in 2009.
I would not buy a Stoeger.
Ruger's popular SR series is a smart buy. The SR9c could do well.
It's been out for about 4/5 years & has a few industry awards.
Check out S&W's well made SD9 or SD40 too.
Clyde
Old December 29, 2012, 09:17 AM   #4
wbw

I too would recommend the Ruger SR9c for a carry weapon. For me it's the right size and weight and I like the trigger.

I have the Stoeger Cougar in 9mm and .45 and have had no problems with either. I would recommend them except for the size and weight.

Old December 29, 2012, 07:14 PM   #5
labhound

I have a Beretta PX4 9mm full size, a Ruger SR9 full size and two Stoeger Cougars (8000F and 8045). All four are excellent pistols but for the money the Cougars are the better buy but are still fairly large pistols. The PX4 compact and SR9c would be better for concealed carry, OWB carry all four fullsize or compacts would work fine.
Old December 29, 2012, 10:10 PM   #6
915A

I second the SR9c. It gets better and better the more I shoot it. Im getting the 40c after I pick up something for the wife.
Old December 29, 2012, 10:58 PM   #7
breakingcontact

SR9C is a nice pistol. I do like the trigger. I don't like the mag disconnect safety. I know it can be removed...but to me that's dangerous as well. Shouldn't have had it in the first place. But its a NICE trigger.

M&P compact fits my hand better and you can use full size mags in it like the SR9C.
Old December 30, 2012, 12:36 AM   #8
ScotchMan

Do you want a manual safety, no manual safety, or don't care? What are you used to?

Between those I would go Beretta, then Stoeger, then M&P. I would convert the Beretta (or Stoeger if possible) to decocker-only so that there was no safety. The M&P I would get without a safety.

I strongly prefer a design where I can have positive control of the firing mechanism while holstering. Hammer-fired guns carried with hammer down allow this by putting your thumb on the hammer. Some striker-fired guns (XD and XDm, Walther PPS, Ruger SR series) allow it with a striker indicator that pokes out the back when the trigger is pulled. I carry appendix and this feature guarantees I can not have a ND while holstering. It is a good habit to get into to not look while holstering (it also just gets really old during an 8 hour class). I'll never go back to a gun where I have to wonder if this time is going to be the 0.00001% chance when something catches the trigger.

The Ruger SR9c was my first gun and the only gun I've ever had issues with. Mine went back to Ruger twice for two different issues. I do not recommend them for this reason, but do admit the ergos were great, the trigger outstanding, and the price point unmatched by its competitors.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old December 30, 2012, 07:17 PM   #9
Mercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotchMan
I strongly prefer a design where I can have positive control of the firing mechanism while holstering. Hammer-fired guns carried with hammer down allow this by putting your thumb on the hammer. Some striker-fired guns (XD and XDm, Walther PPS, Ruger SR series) allow it with a striker indicator that pokes out the back when the trigger is pulled. I carry appendix and this feature guarantees I can not have a ND while holstering
So if you hold your thumb on the striker indicator it will not fire even if the trigger is pulled?
Old December 30, 2012, 07:45 PM   #10
ritepath

I love my 9c, but I'd be tempted to take a look at the beretta except for the unloaded weight of 27oz.

To me all of these double stack "compacts" weigh too much for a EDC pistol. Check out the p938 or a shield.
Old January 9, 2013, 12:49 PM   #11
ctshep97

I am leaning toward the mp 9c
Old January 9, 2013, 01:05 PM   #12
Cheap 870

My buddys old man has a couple 59's. I think it's S&W's best pistol. That is until they started making 1911's.
Old January 9, 2013, 02:45 PM   #13
PMJM

It is only a good choice if she'll carry it

As much as my wife loves the old 1911 and by extension the Sig 238, she can't bring herself to carry such a gun cocked and locked. My S&W 637 and 638 weren't bad solutions but they aren't much fun to shoot particularly with +p so she won't carry them. What she is now wants is a Kahr P380 (which neither of us has shot). If it were up me for 9mm it would be between a Glock 26 and a Kahr PM9 I know there are all sorts of other guns that might fit the bill but for reasons not worth going into this is it. The concern is just how much does one "give up" going "down" to the P380? Remember it is "pretty" and concealable.
Old January 9, 2013, 02:50 PM   #14
Bart Noir

My Px4 is not a compact, but I basically have all 3 of the pistols that the OP mentioned. And they are all great.

Being in disagreement with Clyde, I'll say that the Stoeger is a fine gun. At a low price.

I like the Px4 trigger better than the Cougar. I like the adjustable backstrap on the Px4 better than the Cougar.

I find the safety/decocker easier to operate on the Cougar than on the Px4, since it is larger.

And the M&P9c fits my hand so nicely. I just wish it had the newest trigger version, as in the Shield. I'll be looking to see if S&W will upgrade my M&P9c to that trigger for a reasonable amount.

It would be a tough choice if I was trying to make it.

Bart Noir
Old January 9, 2013, 02:55 PM   #15
Dragline45

Quote:
SR9C is a nice pistol. I do like the trigger. I don't like the mag disconnect safety. I know it can be removed...but to me that's dangerous as well. Shouldn't have had it in the first place. But its a NICE trigger.
The magazine disconnect in the SR series pistols was designed to be removed easily if the owner wanted too. Took me literally a minute to take it out.

I agree though, my SR9C grows more on me each time I shoot it. I was going to trade for a M&P9C recently but when comparing the two the SR9C had a much better trigger.

Last edited by Dragline45; January 11, 2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old January 9, 2013, 03:08 PM   #16
Bart Noir

Wandering off topic a bit....

Quote:
My buddy's old man has a couple 59's. I think it's S&W's best pistol. That is until they started making 1911's.
But you completely skipped over the 3rd Generation metal S&W pistols, which I have a high regard for. I would not buy the Model 59 since it is from the days when S&W was still optimizing the trigger etc.

The equivalent to the Model 59 would be the 3rd Gen Model 5903 for aluminum frame and 5906 for steel frame. Great guns. I hope to find a slightly used 3903 someday as I don't mind single-stack guns.

For the OP, do not pass up the chance to look at slightly used 3914 (single-stack) or 6904 (double-stack) compact pistols. They have the same safety-on-slide design as the Beretta.

Bart Noir
Old January 9, 2013, 04:11 PM   #17
3leggeddog

your new carry

well ,I've put over 3,000 rds of all types of 9mm in my M+P 9c ! I do run a snake threw it after every range outing, complete cleaning every 250 rds or sooner. The trigger is good. NEVER had trouble with the gun!!!
Old January 9, 2013, 06:04 PM   #18
ScotchMan

Quote:
So if you hold your thumb on the striker indicator it will not fire even if the trigger is pulled?
The striker indicator has to move backwards for the gun to fire. If you have a good hold on it, it shouldn't be able to fire with your thumb over it. The only way it could is if you let the indicator press pretty far into your thumb. At the worst case, you would have a lot of warning of what was about to happen, and probably some pain in your thumb depending on the gun.

The XDm is a pretty sharp indicator, and the PPS pushes out pretty far too. The Ruger SR indicator is more rounded, and I don't recall exactly how far out it comes. If you're paying even the littlest bit of attention I don't think you could have a ND with these guns while holstering, if you put your thumb in the right spot.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old January 9, 2013, 06:51 PM   #19
tristar viper

I think out of the three you asked about I'd prolly pick the Beretta but don't really like the controls on them. I think the M&P is a good pistol, but I'll gladly go on record saying I think they have the worst trigger out there.....it's why I got rid of the one I had. Flame me all day long about that opinion, but that's what I think.
I never shot a Stoeger.
It's not on your list, but guys have mentioned it numerous times, the SR9C. I think those are great guns. I would pick it over any of the other three had it been on your list.

Last edited by tristar viper; January 9, 2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old January 9, 2013, 07:50 PM   #20
biggun_

I carry m&p .40c, conceals great even with xgrip extension. Will never part with this gun!