The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 23, 2012, 07:56 AM   #1
dyl

870 owners - spacers anyone?

Hey folks,

Has anyone found commercial spacers for the Remington 870/1100/1187 to drop the comb?

The closest I found is http://www.combathunting.com/REMINGT...1_2_Lower.html - but it states it's for an ATI stock. If any one of you own this spacer, would it work with the a standard 870 stock?

I've been receiving some good advice about stock fit in general. Still hoping for a less expensive alternative to a Jack West stock.
Old May 23, 2012, 10:15 AM   #2
zippy13

There's no such thing as a standard 870 stock. Wingmasters and Expresses have several "standard" stock configurations and materials. For the modest price of the spacer, why not take a chance and see if it works on your 870's stock?
Old May 23, 2012, 10:18 AM   #3
Virginian

Make a small spacer just to fit at the top above the bolt and see if that does it for you before going overboard. 1/16" at the front is a lot more than that at the comb.
Old May 23, 2012, 02:43 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Homemade shims predate even me. Materials I've used include toothpicks, matchbook covers, matches, pieces of shotgun hulls, and foil. I like foil best.

Loosen the stock, insert the shim at the top and tighten things up. Pattern and adjust as needed.
Old May 23, 2012, 05:58 PM   #5
dyl

I should have give you the full story but I was in a hurry this morning

I was asking about this because I don't Actually Own an 870 yet.

So why ask such a thing then? Because I'm considering getting one even though several years ago I shot a friend's for trap and my face took a beating. Enough that an internal ball of scar tissue formed on my cheek that I had removed.

I suspect the fit was poor. We both were untrained though so there's the hope that it was poor technique. I remember it was difficult to see just the bead.

I've been given advice to not purchase a Remington 870 due to my previous poor experience (my common sense does become depleted from time to time) but I do like the 870 on paper. The spacer is to entertain my hope that I'll be able to solve the stock fit problems. Spacers for LOP and shims for pitch/drop at comb. I was told that there are no shims produced for the 870 - but there are for the Mossberg.

I went to a gunstore that had a decent selection of shotguns. (I'll update the other related thread with this if mods don't mind)
- a used 870 Supermag: the bead didn't line up easily. I saw a good bit of vent rib when shouldering each time. $350
- a new Remington 1187 much easier to see just the bead. $750. I guess either the rib is different or the stock is different. I didn't think the stock would be different but it is. Now I'm concerned that if I purchase an older model used from GunsAmerica the gun will either not work or the stock will be different.

I thought these days of the research / worry was over when I was picking a carry gun.
Old May 24, 2012, 12:28 PM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Any of the modern US pumps can be shimmed easily.

If you think the 870s looks good on paper, wait until you have one and realize your great grand kids can be using it also.

Son and I shot wobble this AM. He's 25. The 870 I gave him a few months back is older than his Mom.

20-30K shells through an 870 merely slick it up some.

Re that face slap.....

Get it fitting you so it shoots where you look.

Work on your form.

Get the lightest loads you can find. All the major makers have a 7/8 oz load now. These are creampuffs behind and smite like bigger stuff in front.
Old May 24, 2012, 02:31 PM   #7
IMTHDUKE

Spacers come with this one that I just lowered the stock.

Ed Brown Alpha Carry| Sig P238, P938, P232, 1911 C3 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Browning, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose | S&W|M&P C.O.R.E RMR Trijicon | Dan Wesson ECO
Old May 25, 2012, 01:15 AM   #8
TheKlawMan

I once tried to find some spacers for an 870 and couldn't. I read somewhere that Remington gave up on trying to make them for some reason.