The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old March 1, 2011, 03:23 PM   #1
avalanche04

stevens double barrel

hi guys, i was told to post here since i have an old stevens double barrel shotgun its a stephens 20ga double barrel in good shape i was also told too look for a proof mark infront of the trigger gaurd and found nothing only place i found anything was in the break and it says L J with a circled A. also the other marking on it says, stevens model 311 savage arms corporation chicopee falls mass usa, also on the right side of the gun it just has 5100. now on with the question is it worth anything and just how old is this gun. i am not looking too sell cause it has too much centalmental value. it was my first shotgun handed down too me when i was 12. hunted alot of hours with this gun and took plenty of game.
Old March 1, 2011, 08:02 PM   #2
PetahW

Your 20ga was made in 1949 (circled "A"), and it's smaller frame (compared to the 12ga) is desireable - usually bringing $300-$400 with N.P., depending upon condition.

Old March 2, 2011, 10:23 AM   #3
avalanche04

thank you very much, i had had someone tell me it was made around then but wasnt sure because the "circled" A is not where they said it was supposed too be. and i wasnt sure what the L J means i have done some research on line but was unable too find out much. one more question would it be a good idea too have it reblued and and since it does have a busted fireing pin have that fixed as well? again thank you for all your help and info.
Old March 2, 2011, 05:48 PM   #4
PetahW

Since they're not any kind of collectible, but great hunter/shooters, I would drop in a new FP (or have it done), and either shoot it as-is, or fix it up to your heart's content.

Old March 3, 2011, 11:02 AM   #5
avalanche04

once again thank you very much, and thas exactly what im going too do. in fact i just got a new pup german shorthair and cant wait too hunt over her the ol stevens and her.
Old March 6, 2011, 12:17 PM   #6
OkieCruffler

Posted a reply in the shotgun forum for you. As far as the firing pin goes, unless you've done that kind of repair before have someone do it. I replaced mine once and won't do it again. Huge PITA.
Old March 6, 2011, 12:52 PM   #7
Hawg

49 is probably pretty close but the circle A where you say it is isn't a date code. Also there should be a number along with the letter for a date code. My 311 made in 57 has a circled A and a circled H on the barrels and the water table where it breaks open. The 5100 was marked Springfield until 48 and the 5100 was dropped in 49. I think with nothing to back it up that the first 311's were made out of 5100 leftover parts thus some carried both the 311 and 5100 designations.