The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 30, 2007, 01:54 PM   #1
rfdillon

Help!! Choosing a scope for a Swiss K-31

Folks, I have been using an Optronics scope (I know, cheap Chinese) for the last several years, and it has been an excellent scope for the money. It has a lit mildot reticle, 6X24, and is really nice on the old eyes at 24X.
However, I dropped the rifle last week (in the case) and this morning at the range, instead of hitting the bullseye, my first shot wasn't even on the paper. As I began tightening the mounts, adjusting it, etc., I discovered that at a certain point, the elevation knob just turned, and the reticle wouldn't move. To make a long story short, I am looking for a new scope.
I like having turret type adjustments, and one of the reasons for my quest for a new scope, is as I was adjusting this scope, I realized that I really didn't have enough adjustment room to use this scope at 5-600 yards, which I would like to try some day.
Does anyone have any recommendations? I don't want to spend any more than I have to, but I don't want to buy junk, only to have to replace it in a couple of years.
Your advice and comments are greatly appreciated, thanks so much in advance!
Old June 30, 2007, 09:30 PM   #2
TNT_Shooter

rfdillon

I am so glad to see this post. I purchased a K31 a couple of months ago and have not shot it yet. I have been trying to figure out what would be a good scope to put on it.

I was looking at Leupold VXII 6x18 x40mm Adj Object Target LRV Duplex. ($475) The more expensive option is the Leupold VXIII 8.5x25 x50mm Long Range Target scope with Target dot. ($825). The scopes have a lifetime warranty.

Also, Burris and Nikon have scopes with the 24x that you prefer. Let me know what you decide on getting....it might influence my decision as well.

I am looking forward to shooting the K31. I hear it is a very accurate rifle and a lot of fun to shoot.

Good luck!

TNT
Old June 30, 2007, 09:56 PM   #3
Wildalaska

Cool rifles, have fun....

http://www.swissrifles.com/sr/sniper/

http://p083.ezboard.com/ftheswissrif...picID=76.topic

WildilovethoseobscureriflesAlaska

PS Ive seen real documented ones hitting $4,000
Old July 1, 2007, 04:37 PM   #4
FirstFreedom

First, what is the budget?

Second, what is the minimum distance to your targets, and what is the maximum distance to your targets?

Third, do you even shoot in low light, or only in the daytime?

Fourth, what kind of mount are you using? It's *possible* that the mount is the culprit (or the rings), not the scope. But most likely you've diagnosed it correctly as the scope.

I'm a little confused by your previous scope:

Quote:
It has a lit mildot reticle, 6X24, and is really nice on the old eyes at 24X
6x24 means a 24mm objective lens, and a fixed six power. But "x24" is not the same as "24x", which implies 24 power magnif. I suspect, most likely, that's it's a 6-24x[??], not 6x24. So I understand that 24x is nice for the old eyes, but perhaps as important is the objective lens size, in addition to the glass cut quality and the lens coatings, for exit pupil and resolution. What sized objective lens did the old scope have?

In any event, for just target shooting, you don't need an expensive scope. I shoot for pleasure typically at 100 yards, and my newly-scoped K31 is currently wearing a Bushnell "Banner" 4-12x40mm with AO, which is a $99 scope from Academy Sports (or it was $99 anyway). If shooting at 200 or more, I'd prefer something that cranks up to 18x or 20x or 24x.

But in any event, we need the realistic budget, primarily, to make a good recommendation.

Edit: OK, you said 5-600 yards. Since you're shooting at short ranges, then something with a side focus or adjustable objective is in order, for parallax error elimination. For 600 yards, that's a tough one.....that's a very long ways, so indeed you will need a scope with a LOT of adjustment if you want to make hits without holdover, and more importantly, you may need a special base which is angled to cant the front of the scope downward a bit. I don't know if this is even possible with a K31, and even if it is, assuming you have enough dope to bring your shots up to target at 600, either with or without base, starting with a 200 or 300 yards zero, you STILL would likely NOT be able to dial all the way down to 5-150 yards - just too extreme a range without seriously expensive scopes with crazy adjustment ranges. Now, if you were to change your max to 400 yards, and your minimum to 100 yards, it's probably doable without a special base or expensive scope. *Some* scopes with a 30mm tube use that extra room to allow the erectors more adjustment range... beyond that, for specific scope recommendations with a large adjustment range, target turrets, and an AO, I don't know; hopefully someone else will. I like large objectives (44, 50, or 56mm) for target shooting, by the way.

Without knowing more, there is an article highly praising the newly-improved Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x50mm:

http://theopticzone.com/detail.aspx?ID=4553

Which is not a bad choice at all, *IF* it has enough adjustment range to meet your goals, and if you're looking to go a bit high-end rather than economy.
Old July 1, 2007, 07:09 PM   #5
rfdillon

Thanks so much for your replies, I'm sorry, I see that I need to clarify a couple of things. My current scope is a 6-24X with a 44 mm objective. It doesn't have anywhere near the adjustment range that I need to go out to 5-600 yards. I would just like to TRY to shoot that far, I normally shoot on a 100 yard range, and realistically, wouldn't be shooting long range all the time, but that is certainly on my list of things to do before I get too old to do them!
I will definitely look at the article you mentioned.
I the mean time, I have been looking at scopes, and the Millett TRS-1 has caught my eye. What do you all think of these?
Also, another question. My current scope mount is Pierre St. Marie's drill and tap mount, attached to the left side of the rifle (as I am right handed but left eye dominant). Currently I have 1" scope rings, but a lot of the newer scopes are 30mm, so does anyone know of a good set of 30mm rings for this mount?
Thanks again in advance for all your help and advice!