The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 24, 2007, 05:24 PM   #1
HardcoreHehaw

If I were to sell my brass on ebay

What would I need to do in order to get top dollar for my once fired brass?
A couple questions regarding the current listings on ebay I looked at..

1)Is a certain brand of casing better than another, like winchester vs remington?
2)It seems like on ebay that they are all cleaned and (or) polished, so what exactly would i do for that?
3)what does de-primed mean, that the primer has been removed?
I only saw one auction that said that, would that fetch more?

Or.... should I just save all my brass incase I want to relaod someday?
If you say yes to the last question could you also provide answers to the first 3, cause i'm still curious, hehe And as you can tell by the questions i'm asking i'm definitely not ready to start reloading yet.
Thanks
Old April 24, 2007, 08:19 PM   #2
Randy_che

1) It depends on the cartidge some, but in general, average name brand cases will bring average prices.

2) Run them in a tumbler with some corncob for a couple of hours. It's not necessary, but brings a little more.

3) Deprimed usually means that after they were cleaned, they were run through a sizer and decapping die. Sometimes it just means a universal decapping die, but not sized. It's just one more step that the end user doesn't have to do.

Pistol brass typically goes for 3 to 5 cents per case when sold in large enough lots to have decent shipping. Think lots of 1000 cases. These will fit into a USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate Box and ship for 8.10 at the PO.

Rifle brass will go in smaller lots....100 to 200 range, but the more the better. In my opinion, the best sales price on ebay comes when you can minimize the cost per case for shipping.
Old April 24, 2007, 09:49 PM   #3
clayking

Have some u want to sell?......................ck
Old April 24, 2007, 11:48 PM   #4
mattgreennra

You will probably want to reload someday, if I were you I'd keep the brass. Or go into a gun store, play with a press and see if you get a rush. If you do, keep your brass.

If you think, "gee what a stupid simple machine" you can probably sell it.

**Warning**
Lack of rush may be caused by not actually making rounds. Rush may present itself after making pointed FMJ rifle rounds like .308. Satisfaction may also present itself along with a sense of deep happiness. Do not overdose on reloading, it has been known to cause cancer in the state of California.
Old April 25, 2007, 06:43 AM   #5
HardcoreHehaw

Quote:
Do not overdose on reloading, it has been known to cause cancer in the state of California.
Also on my list of things not to get from reloading... A divorce and less time actually shooting my guns

Quote:
Have some u want to sell?......................ck
No, I haven't been saving, I've always just left it on the floor, but i'm gonna start picking it up now.

Thanks for the replys guys, my questions have been answered.
I think I'm gonna go pick up a book on reloading.
ABCs of reloading is a good one, right?
Old April 25, 2007, 10:21 AM   #6
GLK

FWIW and comparison sake, I recently shipped 3,800 9MM cases via USPS priority mail flat rate($8.10) in one box. It took some shaking and a lot of binding tape but it fit and was delivered safely by your friendly US postal worker. Additionally 3,400 40S&W cases took two boxes but could have fit in a box and a half easily if there were such thing.
Old April 25, 2007, 10:49 AM   #7
Smokey Joe

Book on reloading

HardcoreH.H.--You are on the right track. IMHO, The ABC's of Reloading is the best primer on the subject you could get. After reading it, you will have a much better idea whether you want to take the plunge or not, and if you don't ever get into reloading, you will still have a much clearer understanding and appreciation of what goes into making the ammunition we shoot. I don't see a downside to that.

--Smokey Joe
Old April 26, 2007, 03:15 PM   #8
dakotashooter2

The other option is to trade them for something you can use. A new site for this has just been started.

http://ammobrasstrader.com/forums/