The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 6, 2006, 09:02 PM   #1
brookfries

need help with LC Smith 12 gauge

I have just inherited my grandfather's double barrel 12 gauge shotgun. I don't know anything about guns, but would like to find out about this one. My grandfather traded for it several years ago, and it is my understanding that it is over 100 years old. It has a double barrell and it has these markings:
1. LC Smith
2. 2 8400 F (found on the right side underneath where the shells are loaded)
3. P/ATO MAR 22, 88 (found on the left side underneath where the shells are loaded)
4. 2 S 400 (found on the trigger plate)

I would like to know about the markings on this gun. What do they stand for or mean? And will this gun have a model or serial number?
Old August 6, 2006, 09:47 PM   #2
johnbt

Hi. The problem is they reused the serial numbers. I'm going to list a link below to a serial number list.

You'll need to know hammers vs. hammerless, ejectors or not, etc. Have you pulled the fore-end off and compared the serial number underneath to the serial number on the water table(the flat area on the receiver where the barrels rest)? The grade#/model of the gun will also be marked on the water table.

If you'll go to www.lcsmith.org and mouse down the list on the left side to Shotguns you will get a drop down menu - look at Grades and then Year of Manufacture. And then go back to Grades, etc.

Or just post the info on their forum. That is if you don't get a better answer here than this one.

I'd take a shot at it based on what you posted, but I always get it wrong.

Got any pics?

John
Old August 6, 2006, 10:01 PM   #3
johnbt

Looking at the list on gunshop.com it could, maybe, be 1902 if the serial number is 8400 and it's a hammerless non-ejector.

L.C. Smith - Hammerless (Non-ejector) - 10, 12 and 16 Gauge 1901 6959
L.C. Smith - Hammerless (Non-ejector) - 10, 12 and 16 Gauge 1902 9000

Now, if the F is really a worn E (for ejector) that changes things, but what do I know.

I have now gone way beyond my level of understanding.

The grades on the early hammerless guns (1890 to 1913) start on the low end with 00, then 0, 1, 2, 3, Pigeon, 4, A-1, 5, Monogram, A-2, A-3. According to the Standard Catalog of Firearms, there were 13,000 Grade 2 guns made, 4,000 Grade 3, and so on with the Grade 4 and higher numbering just hundreds each.

John
Old August 6, 2006, 10:28 PM   #4
brookfries

I looked at their website, but I am afraid to take the gun apart. I don't know what hammers and ejectors are. It does say on the end of the gun "The LC Smith Trap Gun". Can I email you the pictures?
Old August 6, 2006, 10:30 PM   #5
brookfries

it is definately F
Old August 6, 2006, 10:49 PM   #6
brookfries

It also says on the end "The LC Smith Trap Gun"