The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old September 3, 2005, 05:55 PM   #1
CraZkid

Best IPSC shotgun

What is the best shotgun for ipsc that can also be used as a sporting gun.
Old September 3, 2005, 08:41 PM   #2
Christopher II

Limited, Open, or Heavy Metal?

Either way, you're not going to have good luck trying to use an IPSC shotgun as a sporting gun.

- Chris

"Contrary to popular belief, your vote does not matter, and you cannot make a difference." - Bob Murphy, "Picking Neither of Two Evils"

My PGP Public Key
Old September 3, 2005, 08:46 PM   #3
CraZkid

I was thinking of getting an 870 combo and a spare bird barrel, cut down to tactical length and a mag extension. Possibly a collapsible stock. I do not know what division this will put me in but how does that sound to start? I can switch out the barrel and the stock quickly and go from IPSC to hunting.
Old September 4, 2005, 05:48 AM   #4
kend

For an out-of-the-box shotgun it's hard to beat the 1100 Competition Master from Remington for Ltd. but they quit making them last year, one of the Bass Pros Shops had a couple in stock a few months ago. I just used mine at a Dove shoot yesterday and the shorter barrel with a full choke tube doesn't hurt my chances of hitting, the choke has more effect on range than the barrel length. The Hi-Viz sight is wonderful and it comes with a thick, soft recoil pad that helps in the shoulder department. With an 8 round mag you'll have to cut a fairly long plug to get it down to 2 rounds. It has been 100% reliable in matches and bird shoots.
Old September 5, 2005, 11:14 PM   #5
Lycanthrope

Another vote for the 1100 COmpetition Master. I have one. Too bad they no longer make it!

The good news is that you can get a standard 1100 and replicate the CM easily. Depending what 1100 you start with you can either keep your long barrel for birds or buy one for under $200.

I shoot my CM with a 30" barrel for five stand practice all the time and plenty of skeet shoots have been won on that platform!
Old September 5, 2005, 11:17 PM   #6
Lycanthrope

BTW, forget the collapseable stock. I never had a stage where I needed one and they aren't as solid or provide as nice a cheekweld.

You'll also need to go semi auto to be competetive.

On a budget, get a used 1100 and add a short barrel and extended mag tube. Everything else you can add is just icing.
Old September 7, 2005, 05:45 AM   #7
vinconco

CraZkid;
I shot IPSC with a 870 for several years. It was very easy to convert back to hunting and I could set it up for IPSC in minutes with a 20" slug barrel and a10 shot choate extension. It isn't the best setup but if you're good you can beat most of the hotshots with their jam a' matics which is reward enough. It IS possible to shoot at a very high level of competition with a pump which is very surprising to most people.
Old September 7, 2005, 07:59 PM   #8
Christopher II

There are certain things you want to have for a competition shotgun, depending on the division you'll be shooting in.

Regardless of division, you'll want a stock that fits you and an acceptably light and smooth trigger (4 pounds or so.) You'll also want bombproof reliability.

Don't even consider a pump gun unless the division you shoot requires it. Semi-auto is the only way to go.

In Open class, you need to have 11-round capacity, speedloaders, and an optical sight (probably an Aimpoint or CMore.) Your barrel will be about 26" long, and may have a mid-barrel compensator. You'll want interchangable choke tubes.

In Limited, you need to be able to hold nine rounds, ideally nine rounds with an empty chamber. No optics, speedloaders, or compensators. Barrel should be around 20-22". Ditto the choke tubes. You'll also want a sighting system with which you can comfortably hit an IPSC target at 75 yards with slugs. Ghost rings, express sights, and hey, if you can do it with a bead, use the bead.

Heavy Metal is pretty much Limited, but you have to use a pump-action shotgun.

I shoot a Franchi 612VS in Limited - it has a 21" Polychoke barrel, custom-made +3 mag extension, trigger job, and fitted stock/recoil pad. It will be getting a set of XS low-profile sights melted into the barrel rib sometime in the next few weeks. Great gun, but the 612VS is no longer in production so I hesitate to recommend it. For a Limited or Open gun, I'd suggest a Benelli M2. Alternatively, if you want to live on the edge, the Izmash Saiga-12 is making serious inroads as an Open shotgun. For a HM gun, get a Remington 870 and cut down the barrel.

- Chris

"Contrary to popular belief, your vote does not matter, and you cannot make a difference." - Bob Murphy, "Picking Neither of Two Evils"

My PGP Public Key
Old September 7, 2005, 10:30 PM   #9
vinconco

Getting back to the question CraZkid asked which was about a dual purpose shotgun..... If you bomb out a autoloader for IPSC it will be more difficult to convert back than the venerable ol' 870 You can be competitive in any division with a pump except "OPEN" which requires a bombed autoloader. I think the most important thing to remember is to have fun and not to get too wrapped up in the arms race. Your money is better spent on ammo and practice. And speaking of fun....spanking bombed autoloaders with a pump is FUN...

I also compete with the Benneli M-2 but the damn thing costs as much as 3 - 870's The models with interchangeable chokes do make a fairly decent field gun.

Remington 1100's and 11-87's are popular shotguns for competition but require modification of the loading gate to speed the all important reload. This modification is not particularly suitable for field work and not easy to convert back and forth.
Old September 7, 2005, 10:47 PM   #10
Zak Smith

The most-used autoloading shotgun in 3Gun is the Benelli M1S90, for good reasons.