The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 16, 2005, 09:34 PM   #1
Jbar4Ranch

I struck GOLD!

I walked into Big Bear Sports in Great Falls a month ago and did a double take at a shotgun under the glass, for 'twere a Ruger Gold Label, a creature heretofore considered by many to be an urban legend outside the factory walls. A number of people wanted to buy it, so the store had prospective buyers put their name in a hat and had a drawing yesterday to see who got first chance at parting with their hard-earned money. Well, 'bout ten o'clock this morning, my phone rang, and the manager of the store said, "Congratulations, Mr. <Jbar>, your name was drawn for the first chance to buy the Gold Label."

Now, having just purchased my new Thompson a mere four days ago, my first thought was, "Ah [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]", but I decided, what the hell, and drove on over and plunked my money down.

SASS 47015
Old March 16, 2005, 10:00 PM   #2
goose21

hey man congrats.
ive never even heard of them.
hey i know this is a little off topic but i was reading your thing at the bottom of your post and would like to know why you were banned from Glock Talk

thanks
Old March 16, 2005, 10:06 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

You lucky devil. First a Tommy Gun and now a Red Label. Congratulations and if we peasants ever visit, may we shoot them?
Old March 16, 2005, 10:13 PM   #4
yorec

Congrats on finding a gun that's so valuable to you... And nice range, love the view!
Old March 16, 2005, 10:15 PM   #5
Jbar4Ranch

GOLD Label! Red Labels are for peasants! I'm still debating whether to shoot it or keep it as an investment.

goose, my banning at GT stemmed from a divorce straight from hell that spilled out onto the board on more than one occasion. My ex showed no interest in the gun boards until I divorced her, then they became a good venue to smear me. I, of course retaliated. Easiest solution? Ban us both. I had been an active member since April 3, 1999.

SASS 47015
Old March 18, 2005, 08:12 AM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Nice looking SxS. How does it shoot?.....
Old March 18, 2005, 09:26 AM   #7
FirstFreedom

Man, I'm surprised they didn't auction it to raise the price, rather than a drawing - congrats!
Old March 18, 2005, 10:04 AM   #8
Jbar4Ranch

I haven't shot it yet, it's still below freezing here and snowing every day still. I need an English inspired shotgun of this quality like I need another wife, so I'm still debating whether to shoot it, keep it as an investment, or tack another couple hundred onto what I paid and try reselling it. I've seen them priced up to around $2500 on some of the auction sites. I've got a nephew who really likes shotguns, but at 17 years old, he won't have the $$$ for something like this for awhile. It would make a nice graduation present in a few years when he earns his Bachelor's or Master's Degree. In the meantime, my Franchi o/u just got bumped down a shelf in the safe.

yorec, thanks, my range is just a few steps out the door of my daylight basement. The shooting bench is actually located in a carport under the deck. HERE'S a panorama of most of my CAS range, plus some of one of the rifle ranges on the left side. You can see one of the 100 yard target frames between the lower two branches on the right side of the tree on the left of the pic. There are also a couple of traps further to the left for clays, and a 500 yard range on the other side of the house.

I've got a question for you shotgunners; On an o/u, the #1 barrel is the bottom one, which one is it on a SxS??

SASS 47015
Old March 18, 2005, 10:48 AM   #9
Clemson

The right barrel is normally No. 1 (for a right-handed shooter). The theory is that it causes less felt recoil because it torques the gun away from your face rather than into it.

Very nice looking gun. I would not hesitate to shoot it. As the supply lines fill up, it will become more common. You can bet that Ruger is not holding back to create demand. They will sell just as many as they possibly can.

Clemson
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com