The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old February 11, 2002, 07:30 AM   #1
cpileri

Location: Peoples Republik of Maryland, Sister State to Kalifornia
wESTERNFIELD BOLT ACTION SHOTGUN

IT WAS RECOMMENDED I POST THIS HERE FOR TE BEST INFO.
Anyone ever heard of/ used a Westernfield?
I saw a 20 ga for a very reasonable price, but any price is too high for junk.
Thanks,
Carl
Old February 11, 2002, 08:29 AM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Bolt Action Shotgun

As expressed in the Shotgun Forum. Mossberg made shotguns for Monkey Wards and in all probability that is the shotgun you saw.

In my experience I have used bolt action shotguns for two purposes. Deer hunting and Competitive Turkey Shoots.

Deer Gun:
12Ga, 20" bbl, cylinder bore 4X scope and braneke slugs. served my purpose and did a great job.

Competitive Turkey Shoots
20Ga 30" bbl, full choke standard sights. I always placed in the winner's circle with this one. Shoots were held around thanksgiving and it was an inexpensive dinner for the family

HJN
Old February 11, 2002, 08:49 AM   #3
cpileri

Location: Peoples Republik of Maryland, Sister State to Kalifornia
Sir, what years were these manufactured?

Is it a Curio & relic?
And thanks so much for your info!
Carl
Old February 11, 2002, 09:36 AM   #4
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

There is little value as a collector as far as a relic, or curio, not in my opinion.

HJN
Old February 12, 2002, 12:25 AM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Western Field was a Montgomery Ward trade name. The guns were actually made by various manufacturers.

They were utility guns, and were usually a less expensive version of a gun the maker produced under his own name. Cutting costs involved cheaper stock wood, less quality polishing and bluing, cheaper sights, etc. Otherwise, the guns were no better or worse than the same model made under the maker's name.

They have little or no collector value and none (AFAIK) have ever been designated as C&R guns except by age. Many models have long been discontinued by the makers, and MW is out of business, so parts may not be available. Magazines, especially, are simply unobtainable for most of the bolt action shotguns.

If you provide full information on the MW model number, someone might be able to tell who actually made the gun.

Jim