The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 16, 2017, 01:57 PM   #51
Skadoosh

Quote:
Quote:
zAll of these bore snake jam horror stories I'd like to know if you were using the correct size and or an extra short one?
They wouldn't know.

Most claims of bore snakes breaking and jamming-up the barrel are the result of sugar-buzz fantasies that Range Commandoes incur over early morning coffee at Dunkin' Donuts.
I like how you caveated your statement.
Old September 19, 2017, 06:47 AM   #52
jrothWA

Have a BoreSNake for use, in my Marlin M60, just use it to quick clean the barrel from the breech, just put some hoppe's of the brush section and three passes, did a nice job.
COme the spring will use a .220 Cal sole rod for better job and detail the chamber with pipe cleaners.
Help a friend with his Rremington VIPER .22, and after dis-assembly, was able to clean with rod thruogh the breech.

The bore snake, I'll replace in four years.
Old September 19, 2017, 08:43 AM   #53
ed308

I agree Bore Snakes have their place for use in the field. But I don't use them for the reasons stated above.
Old September 19, 2017, 10:02 AM   #54
OldScout

I use bore snakes as a quick clean. Like if I am at the range and shooting a lot rounds, But always follow up with a complete cleaning ASAP. I wouldn't use it as the only cleaning tool.
Old September 19, 2017, 04:23 PM   #55
agtman

Quote:
All of these bore snake jam horror stories, I'd like to know if you were using the correct size and or an extra short one?
Quote:
They wouldn't know.

Most claims of bore snakes breaking and jamming-up the barrel are the result of sugar-buzz fantasies that Range Commandoes incur over early morning coffee at Dunkin' Donuts.
Quote:
I like how you caveated your statement.
And I like how you appreciate keen insight.
Old September 20, 2017, 01:45 PM   #56
Skadoosh

Quote:
And I like how you appreciate keen insight.
Been there, done that, right?
Old September 20, 2017, 03:33 PM   #57
tango1niner

I believe that if you must clean from the muzzle you should use a guide to slip over the muzzle and keep what ever you use, rod or cord centered with the bore. I don't want either to touch the bore near the muzzle. For some firearms you can drill out a shotgun shell and use it as a guide. I have a lathe so I usually make what I need from nylon or plastic round stock. Using a guide gives me a little peace of mind that I'm doing the best I can to protect the bore and muzzle end. I use a solid rod at home and range. I do carry a segmented rod in the hunting pack just in case... Never used a snake.
Old September 20, 2017, 03:38 PM   #58
F. Guffey

Bore snake: I make my own bore snake type devise, I saw a shotgun being fluffed out and was impressed. And then one day a business closed down when all of the jobs went overseas. When they closed the business they filled the dumpsters. I had no ideal what all of that stuff was but thought I could find a use for most of it. First I made patches and then I learned how to make patches with the help of my wife, she did not like what I did to her green cutting board but? she said it was tough. I held the green cutting board up to the light thinking I could deny it was 'rurant' that is when the wife explained it was not a jig cutting board.

And then I managed to make bore cleaning material out of a lot of the material. Just like only different; it is impossible to jam-up the barrel. if it comes to any scenario that is bad to worst I can take it apart etc.. anyhow, I am happy with my dumpster finds.

F. Guffey
Old October 4, 2017, 07:01 AM   #59
DMK

Quote:
All of these bore snake jam horror stories I'd like to know if you were using the correct size and or an extra short one? Seems to me even if it broke you would have a 50% chance part of it would be sticking out the end?
I was thinking about this thread the other day.

I was pulling a bore snake through my AR15's barrel and noticed that when the end of the string was out of the muzzle, I still had about a foot or more of snake at the chamber end.

I remember thinking that if the string broke, I could just pull it back by the loop at the end.

There are pistol length and rifle length bore snakes. Maybe folks that had problems with breaking them were using pistol snakes in rifles?
Old October 5, 2017, 09:41 PM   #60
johnwilliamson062

I have an Otis system I love, but that isn't really a bore snake.

I have bought several bore snakes. All but the 12 ga are in a tub/box SOMEWHERE. The 12 ga is used whenever I shoot a break action gun.
Old October 6, 2017, 09:17 PM   #61
j3ffr0

Bores snake gets mine plenty clean