The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 30, 2009, 07:18 AM   #1
TheNatureBoy

10-40x50 Osprey International Scope Review

I purchased this scope a few weeks ago for $166.45 and got a chance to check it out yesterday. Because of concerns/complaints expressed by others who had purchased Osprey scopes I checked it out as best I knew how before mounting. I didn't see any o-rings exposed,the adjustment knobs were secure and functioned properly, and the glass was clear. After mounting it on my 7mm Rem Mag Sendero I shouldered it and was able to easily and clearly read street signs approximatately 500 yards in any direction. I adjusted it back and forth using side parallax adjustment and power adjustment knob and noticed all was well up to 36 power. Past that point things got blury. I could still put cross hair on a fixed target but blury just the same.

Once we got to the range and got set up I zeroed scope and tested some 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tips/ 61 grains of IMR 4350 at 100 yards, and Sierra GameKing 160 grain/62.8 grains RE-22 powder. After firing ten rounds I let the barrel cool down and before firing again I bore sighted to see if the scope held up. I did this 3 times firing a total of 30 rounds of the above with absolutely no problems. At the end of the day I was very pleased with the results. I won't test again until the fields have been harvested. I had a difficult time finding a spot to place my target because the bean fields were so high. When I test again I will do so at 300 and 500 yards. I should mention the weather conditions. It was 90 degrees and a little muggy with 10-15 mph cross winds blowing right to left. 700 yards down range I could clearly see anything I focused on to include mirage.

I really thought long and hard about purchasing this scope because of comments made by others on this and other boards that I frequent. In the end I decided to give it a try and am pleased thus far. More testing to follow using different powders and heavier bullets. I will share results.

Last edited by TheNatureBoy; August 30, 2009 at 07:25 AM.
Old August 30, 2009, 08:30 AM   #2
AirForceShooter

I have a 6.5-20x44 and it's great.
Fit and finish are fine and it holds zero.

AFS
Old August 30, 2009, 10:14 PM   #3
EnoughGUN

scope

I have a Barska scope on my .17 and can group three shots almost touching at 100yards. Yeah it is not as good a $1000 scope but then again it wasn't $1000.
Old April 3, 2010, 07:11 AM   #4
TheNatureBoy

Almost a year later and I'm still pleased with this scope. Since my last post I've spent quite a few hours at the range target shooting 100-400 yards using this scope with my 7mm Rem Mag Sendero. About three weeks ago, I shot 400 yards for the first time. I loaded up some 168 grain SMKs with 63.5 grains of RE-22 and shot with the scope on 10 power. My first 5 shot group ever at 400 yards avg. 7.304 inches. My second 5 shot group averaged 3.373 inches at 16 power. Since I was tired of walking to my target I pulled it back to 100 yards and adjusted the scope a bit. At 100 yards on 10 power average 1.722 in.

I was able to see mirage clearly at 400 yards and had absolutely no problem clearly seeing target at 100 yards. I hope to go back out in another few weeks. The glass didn't fall outta the scope, the knobs are still attached and functional, it stays on target. When I first mounted the scope it was canted to the right. I didn't bother fixing it cause it was shooting so well. I made the adjustment, bore sighted, and hit the range. I Wanna try to get some more time in before the turkey hunters hit the bushes. I'm gonna try to tighten up the 3.373 group a bit before I move on to 600 yards.

I'm not a expert you guys are, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Old May 13, 2010, 05:11 AM   #5
David S ddp

Osprey 10-40

Osprey Concerns Unfounded
I wanted to relate my experience and surprise shooting with the 10-40 x 50 which was quite contrary to many of the negative comments on other forums.

I purchased mine from Sportsman's Guide [SG] over a year ago and am just now getting around to testing it out with much apprehension but as it turns out it was all unwarranted. I will say though that my turret cap screws were not as tight as they should have been but I consider that to be a minor issue as that's why we usually have a good assortment of tools and in this case only a small Allen wrench was needed.

Besides the concerns over the scope I also had a new 6.5mm Grendel I was testing out as well as some starting loads of a Hornady 120grn bullet over 24.9grns of Benchmark powder and this combination started out very good.

As also mentioned by Nature B, my scope did quite well to though I haven't done the more extensive testing he has done nor does my AR style 6.5 Grendel have quite the recoil his 7mm Mag does but it does have a bit of recoil and the Osprey held zero just fine giving me two, three shot groups of 1" c/to/c at 100 yrds. If I can get the pictures posted you'll be able to see for yourself.

Now, SG has been very good to deal with in all my past experiences and would
even allow me to return the Osprey scope for a refund as I have never been real partial to it's range finding method and have been looking at their Counter-Sniper which seems to have far superior ranging capabilities and possibly optics too! Here again I've read some bad things about it too but now believe most of the individuals posting all the negative comments are not making qualified statements so I ordered one to test it out and see for myself!

I'm glad to see that most of you guys and gals on this forum are a lot more objective about your comments!

Take care,
David