The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 3, 2006, 02:16 PM   #1
maas

Why not the Wingmaster?

why does everyone buy the express now and not the good 'ol wingmaster. i realize for some its price but it just seems that people don't even consider the wingmaster anymore.

There's always one thing that makes Republicans look good on election day...........Democrats!
Old August 3, 2006, 02:32 PM   #2
kenneth owens

thats what the ole man raised me on and thats what I will always shoot
they dont make them like they used to. to much composite material fake this fake that!! I love good ole wood on my shotguns.my baby is a 870 wingmaster 16 gauge it was a birthday gift only been shot a few times.ribbed barrel nice wood finish. their is a price difference is why I would think ,also chambered for 3 in mags as well as 2 3.4 in
and the finish is like bead blasted less likley to rust,unlike blued.
Old August 3, 2006, 03:53 PM   #3
kenneth owens

my mistake maas, the express has a satin wood finish I still dont care for the express model.
Old August 3, 2006, 04:42 PM   #4
dave0520

It's all about price. The Wingmaster is like 2 or 3 times the price of the express model. The fit and finish of the wingmaster is much better, although the express model is also a nice gun.
Old August 3, 2006, 06:47 PM   #5
maas

well i meant both of them the plastic and the non walnut versions. when i recommend a pump shotgun and say 870 i mean the wingmaster. the wingmaster is also what I'm referring to when i say that the 870 is the best pump being made. i guess we will have to start calling it by its true name.

by the way what do they call the plastic version?

There's always one thing that makes Republicans look good on election day...........Democrats!
Old August 3, 2006, 06:50 PM   #6
hpg

Money, money, money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old August 3, 2006, 11:19 PM   #7
cobra81

The Wingmaster is a classic, and it looks better in most people's opinion due to the polished barrel and receiver, and high-gloss wood. It gets an ivory front bead, and a mid-barrel steel bead that the Express doesn't. I just bought a 28 gauge Wingmaster, and it was $599 compared to $289 for the Express.
Also, in the 28 gauge, at least, you get 3 choke tubes with the Wingmaster, whereas with the Express you get a fixed choke; no tubes.
They both will obviously shoot as well as the user is capable of, but for me, I just liked the looks and few extra features of the Wingmaster.
In my opinion, you can't go wrong with either one. They balance incredibly well, point sweet, and last forever.
Old August 4, 2006, 01:33 PM   #8
870 wingmaster

It is my favorite shotgun!!!
Old August 4, 2006, 02:02 PM   #9
PJR

Fit and finish both inside and out make the Wingmaster a more desirable gun IMHO and I've owned both versions. You get better wood, nicer trigger pulls, three chokes tubes instead of one, in 28 gauge you get choke tubes instead of fixed chokes and overall a little more refined gun.

I'm currently fighting a losing battle with a 28 gauge addiction. An 870 Express and a quite decent one at that is on the rack at my local gun emporium but I'm holding out to find a Wingmaster or, if the shotgun Gods are smiling upon me, an excellent condition 870 Skeet.
Old August 5, 2006, 05:55 AM   #10
Kelem

Got both, express 12 and WM 12 both 28" both sweet shooters, WM shot great out of the box express needed a little help, would not part with either - ever.
Use the express when the goings tough, WM for clays.

Kelem
Old August 5, 2006, 10:30 AM   #11
oletymer

The problem the Wingmaster has is the "go cheap" mindset so many people have today. All you have to do is read the threads here. If its cheap people will buy it. Look at all the turkish and chinese guns people are touting.
The great guns we have loved are declining because of the Wal Mart mentality of too many shooters.
Old August 5, 2006, 11:15 AM   #12
silicon wolverine

I guess id rather have alot of people with cheaper guns than a limited number with high dollar guns. I mean what starting shooter is going to be able to afford a 500-600$ wingmaster? I started out with a 89.95 stevens single shot and moved my way up. I guess the "if it isnt exspensive, it isnt any good" handgun crowd is starting to bleed into long arms as well.

SW
Old August 5, 2006, 05:19 PM   #13
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The most I ever paid for an 870 was about $400, and that is for my very nice TB with great wood.

Last one I picked up is Number Six, got it out the door for $178 about 3 years ago. It's nearly newmade in 1955, nice wood and blue.

Keep your eyes open for used WMs. The deals are still out there....
Old August 6, 2006, 09:28 AM   #14
oletymer

Silicone wrote. I guess id rather have alot of people with cheaper guns than a limited number with high dollar guns. I mean what starting shooter is going to be able to afford a 500-600$ wingmaster? I started out with a 89.95 stevens single shot and moved my way up. I guess the "if it isnt exspensive, it isnt any good" handgun crowd is starting to bleed into long arms as well.

A lot of people can afford a $500-600 gun. All you have to do is save a little longer. I started with my Ithaca 37 field gun which is now a $600 gun. I quickly saved up and bought a BT99. Sometimes it pays to save longer and get a gun that will do the job. I see too many shooters get discouraged shooting the cheaper guns.
Old August 7, 2006, 06:20 AM   #15
Mike Bailey

Bought a wingmaster pump a few weeks ago as a back up and for my kid to start practicing with in a year or twos time. Problem for me is the length of the stock. It is crazily short for me, a european who is 5' 11". How you big yanks use one without putting a new stock on is a puzzle to me 1 rgds, Mike Bailey
Old August 7, 2006, 06:58 PM   #16
onemsumba

Lop

You have to put on a thick shirt, a thick coat and a vest head out duck hunting and then it will fit just right!

I perfer 14.5-15.5 myself

me 6'4"

regards