The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 24, 2006, 10:11 PM   #1
miscusi

Real stupid question...

I saw in many bugs bunnie cartoons, that if you put a finger in the barrel, elmer fudd will blow up instead of you..

any truth behind that ?
Old April 24, 2006, 10:36 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Only if you are a cartoon character, too. Or as smart as one.
Mythbusters tried (simulated) fingers in muzzles and it did not have much effect. You CAN obstruct a gun barrel enough for energetic disassembly, a little mud will work fine.
Old April 24, 2006, 10:43 PM   #3
NedreckSavant

I never understood how a lil mud or oil is said to be able to destroy the barrel. So if someone had a gun to your head how much good would it do to hock a loogey in the barrel?
Old April 24, 2006, 10:58 PM   #4
Syntax360

a half submerged barrel (as in dipped in a cup of water) can cause the barrel to visually swell and render the pistol useless. Shooting one underwater with a significant amount of air in the barrel can cause a kaboom.
Old April 24, 2006, 11:04 PM   #5
Pointer

If the barrel is the same caliber as your finger...
and your finger is made of metal it might back blow some gas in the shooters face and possibly damage the barrel...

Explode? Nah!

30-06 FOREVER
Old April 24, 2006, 11:28 PM   #6
Edward429451

I seen a shotgun barrel peeled four ways like a banana because the owner decided to shoot a lil plug of snow from it when he had walked too close to a snow bank. Just the barrel was damaged, shooter was fine.
Old April 25, 2006, 01:17 AM   #7
Dfariswheel

As above, the Myth Busters recently busted the myth that plugging a shotgun barrel could cause the muzzle to blow open like a banana peel.

Bottom line, no matter what they tried, INCLUDING putting a steel plug in the muzzle, they were unable to get the Remington Express barrel to "banana peel".
The best they got was a split in the side of the barrel.

Plugging the muzzle with simulated fingers, INCLUDING with a "bone" in the finger accomplished nothing.
The "fingers" were simply blown out of the barrel.

Their conclusion: Myth Busted! A shotgun barrel, (at least their Remington barrel) will not blow open like a banana peel.
Old April 25, 2006, 02:09 AM   #8
NedreckSavant

All I know is regardless, I'm not stickin nothing in anything to find out.
Old April 25, 2006, 02:46 AM   #9
miscusi

well then if it isnt true, those antis will make an issue out of it, how kids will put fingers in barrels and get their hands blown off. just kidding... I wonder how abouts this urban or acutally "woodlands" legend got its start.. why the loony toons people used it, and why it appears in numerous films and tv shows..
Old April 25, 2006, 09:29 AM   #10
Edward429451

I didn't make up what I saw. To clarify, I didn't see the guy take the shot that ruined the barrel, He was trying to sell the barrel at a yard sale for 15 bucks. I talked to him about it and that's what he said happened. I did take a pretty good look at it and the metal wasn't cut or anything, it was ripped backwards in four pc's just like a banana peel. About 12" back. I suppose he could have been pulling my leg and did it to the barrel somehow himself. But he didn't act like he was the type being an older guy and I had no reason to think he was lieing.

It was a round barrel, long, with no vent rib. The brand didn't come up.
Old April 25, 2006, 09:44 AM   #11
AAshooter

We show a Rem 1100 barrel that is split open that some kid shot in our Hunter Education classes. He submerged the end of the gun in water and pulled the trigger. Although it is not "Bananna Peeled", it is dramatic.

Did myth busters try the 20 gauge/12 gauge combo in a shotgun?
Old April 25, 2006, 09:47 AM   #12
Jim Watson

I have seen many pictures and some actual examples of banana peeled barrels from bore obstructions. Some barrels are tougher than others. Parker demonstrated the strength of their steel by dropping a 20 ga shell into the forcing cone of a 12 ga gun and blowing it out with a 12 ga shell. This is catastrophic on an ordinary gun of the period but the Parker stood it. So will some modern guns made of stronger steel.
Hatcher's Notebook has a chapter on just what obstructions will bulge or burst a rifle barrel and which will not.

Don't take a TV show, whether a cartoon or Mythbusters (How do you tell which is which?), as the last word on this or any technical subject.
Old April 25, 2006, 01:47 PM   #13
Dfariswheel

To be fair, many older shotguns have thinner barrels than modern guns, and years ago they didn't have screw in chokes or vent ribs to add possible reinforcement.

Over the years most of obstructed shotguns I saw either bulged or split the muzzle, or ruptured the barrel farther back.

I have to say, I've never seen a "banana peel" shotgun, in person.
Old April 25, 2006, 09:06 PM   #14
44 AMP
Staff

banana peel

I did see the mythbusters show, and all they were able to do was make the barrrel split. I think a classic banana peel is unlikely, but possible, with older shotguns that had very thin barrels.

I have, however, actually seen a classic "banana peel" burst barrel, but that was on a 155mm artillery piece!
Old July 30, 2006, 11:30 PM   #15
Harley Quinn

Need to start with Damascus barrel

To see the "real peel".

HQ
Old July 31, 2006, 12:31 AM   #16
maas

my buddie shot his shotgun with mud in the end of the barrel and all he got was a split.
now for the dumb @$$ award. my old basball coachs brother recived a 45 for x-mas and for some reason (cant remember if what he was doing) decided to plug the barrell with his feinger pulled the trigger and blew off his feinger. now hes a cop.

There's always one thing that makes Republicans look good on election day...........Democrats!
Old July 31, 2006, 10:05 AM   #17
Harley Quinn

Where, when and why?

Remember the movie, where the guy sticks his finger in the end of a gun barrel sticking towards him?
The Guy holding the pistol yells what are you crazy, you want to get us both killed? It was spoof of one kind or another.

I can not remember the name of it, reason I mention it. Maybe someone can help with the name of the movie?

Mud in the end of the barrel can ruin a rifle or shotgun. I have heard of people getting hurt. I always check the hole and run a patch when shooting.
Never know what might be in there

The real experts,recommend to run patch's with a light coat of gun oil through when you are shooting. I read that in an article about the 45-70, guy was very serious about a slight coating. Helps the barrel life.

When in rainy weather many use some sort of object across the in to keep out rain and other items while in the field. Some use a piece of tape, or small latex finger protectors. You don't have to remove it just shoot it.

There are pros and cons in all things that are pertaining to the use of firearms.
I don't believe Elmer and Bugs set a good example myself. Guess I am getting old but I did not think it was funny when I watched it in days of old. I would point out to the children it was not a good thing. Rifles and shotguns kill. A real party pooper.

Maas, I'll bet he lied about his missing digit. Hmmmmm

HQ
Old July 31, 2006, 02:35 PM   #18
rpeterj

The name of the movie was "Support your Local Sheriff".
Old July 31, 2006, 05:48 PM   #19
hpg

I would not advise you to try that. hpg