The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 15, 2006, 07:29 AM   #1
noobinguns

this Holster good for my colt commander?

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/71259-5876-2263.html

Im thinking about getting one...anybody with one? How good is it?
Old June 15, 2006, 04:33 PM   #2
Don H

It's a generic holster that fits both 1911s and Glocks. That means that it's not going to fit either really well. The belt slots accomodate up to a 1-3/4" wide belt so if you use a narrower belt, the holster will tend to move around a bit and not feel very secure. I think, for just a bit more money, you can get a holster that was designed specifically for your pistol. By the way, did you note that the holster is out of stock?
Old June 24, 2006, 07:59 AM   #3
VirgilCaine

No. Commanders need an open top design. The thumb break only gets in the way, unless your city/dept requires a thumb break. Commanders are made to carry in condition 1 ala 'Locked & Cocked'. Look into a holster with a tension screw. Galco, Highnoon, Bianchi, Don Hume, etc..all make nice leather for Commanders...IMO. Also IMO, forget the thumb break.
Old June 25, 2006, 09:40 AM   #4
tegemu

For not much more you can have a Service Grade Brommeland Max Con V. It will fit your pistol perfectly and is one of the most highly regarded of all the holsters. The Service Grade is not listed in Gary Brommeland's catalog yet but give him a call, the service Grade is also delivered quickly.www.brommelandgunleather.com
Old June 28, 2006, 07:51 AM   #5
Mike in VA

Don H-
Not ot be too picky, but that Galco is available for a variety of handguns, but it is not a 'generic', i.e. "one size fitts all", holster. Each is moldeded and boned for the specific brand. When buying, you tell 'em which mode holster l(i.e. "Fletch") for which gun (I.e. Colt Commander). Galco makes good stuff. CTD does offer some cheaper nylon generics for $10-20, but that Galco isn't one of them. I suspect the reason it's out of stock is because it's a pretty good price (YMMV).

You are correct about the belt slot, though.
Old June 28, 2006, 10:03 AM   #6
Don H

Mike,

I was relying on the description given at the link. Since it was, and still is out of stock, I wasn't able to follow the ordering path to determine whether there are in fact specific models for Glock and 1911s. Thank you for correcting my mis-statement.
Old July 10, 2006, 08:43 AM   #7
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

A little additional information - -

I share your disdain for the One Size Fits None type holster, but as the others have stated, this one is NOT one of them.

CTD normally offers that type holster in different models to fit the various handguns listed:
Colt 1911 4-1/4"
Glock 19, 23 & 32
Kimber 1911 4"
Para-Ordnance P13
S&W SW1911CS 4-1/4"
Springfield Armory 1911 4"

Note that the holster is a Galco brand model FL226. Galco makes a pretty full line of holsters, using top quality materials and excellent workmanship. If you order one for a Commander, it will be the proper length and will fit snugly.

One usually gets the BEST selection by going directly to the source. You may go to the Galco web site and see the line. Holster selection main chart.

See details on the Fletch holster here.

Personally, I like to see what I'm buying, so I try to locate the item somewhere nearby. If there is a Cabela's store near you, they carry a limited selection of Galco holsters. I don't know about the comparative pricing.

Best,
Johnny