The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 15, 2018, 12:07 PM   #1
aarondhgraham

How many versions of the Ruger LCP are there?

How many versions of the Ruger LCP are there?

I have the original version and like it well enough,,,
But I have read about the LCP II,,,
And one called the LCP Gen II.

I've asked around my rifle/pistol club
But nobody seems to know the true skinny.

Can anyone here tell me the actual version history?

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old June 15, 2018, 01:02 PM   #2
gnystrom

I am only aware of the LCP. LCP Custom (basically Galloway trigger and better sights) , and the LCP II.
Old June 15, 2018, 01:29 PM   #3
Carmady

I think it's:

1) LCP (Gen 1), "Gen 1" is not a Ruger official name, they have next to no sights, they have a dash in the serial number, they have the terrible trigger.

2) LCP (Gen 2), bigger sights (still pretty small), no dash in serial number, swell trigger.

3) LCP Custom, huge sights, Gen 2 trigger except the trigger itself is red metal.

1-3 seem to be built around the same gun.

4) LCP II - that's the new and different gun.

Seems like the LCP (Gen 2) and new LCP II are the only ones in current production.
Old June 15, 2018, 01:38 PM   #4
rpseraph

Carmady's got it right
Old June 15, 2018, 02:55 PM   #5
peterg7

As far as I’m concerned there’s LCP and LCPII, a DAO trigger and whatever the II is, yeah there’s variances but they’re inconsequential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old June 15, 2018, 03:14 PM   #6
aarondhgraham

Thanks gentlemen,,,

Thanks gentlemen,,,

That answered my question perfectly.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old June 18, 2018, 03:58 PM   #7
Carmady

Here's a weird one, it has the Gen 1 dash in the serial number (pic 1), but the Gen 2 slide with the larger sights (pic 3). I'm unaware of any leaving the factory like this. Might be a home grown thingy.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/775590962
Old June 19, 2018, 05:45 AM   #8
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg7 View Post
As far as I’m concerned there’s LCP and LCPII, a DAO trigger and whatever the II is, yeah there’s variances but they’re inconsequential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There LCPll and the Gen 2 are basically the same gun, the LCPll has last round lock back.
Both are still in Production. The Gen 2 is now being manufactured in a Plant in North Carolina, the LCP ll Prescott AZ,

The Custom is no longer in Production. For those that own the orginial model with the long trigger. Galloway offers "The Sweet Pea" trigger up grade.

Why is the Gen 2 still in production? My guess is because many prefer it over the LCPll. There has over the years been a huge debate about the safety of the LCPll trigger. Many, myself included will not touch the newer model. One well known Holster manufacture sent a letter to Ruger and proclaimed the trigger to be unsafe. And he refuses to make a holster for the gun. I have owned LCP's since they first came out.
The Gen2 is actually a very nice trigger. Smooth and deliberate. The LCP ll as advertised is "Light and Crisp". Man they got that right. And much to light IMO for a Pocket gun.
I also felt the Gen2 to actually shoot better. More solid than the new model.
Beware that the LCP's are made of a aluminum chassis and do not hold up to a lot of ammo down range.

Being a pocket gun enthusiast, I moved on to better quality product. Long lasting stainless steel build and a will most likely last a life time of shooting. And a Big plus is they are MUCH MILDER shooters.

There are many of the dedicated fans of the LCP Gen 2 that later purchased the New LCPll and then sold the guns and moved back to the Gen 2.

Make your selection carefully. Do not get the LCP11 unless you are totally comfortable with the light trigger. Remember these are not target guns. There is no need for a light crisp trigger IMO.
Old June 19, 2018, 09:22 AM   #9
Bob L. Swagger

I liked the trigger and sights on the LCP Custom so much I bought an extra one when Ruger took them out of production. Best LCP model by far, so naturally it’s discontinued.
Old June 20, 2018, 04:51 PM   #10
claydoctor

I inherited the original LCP but don't think I have ever shot it. If I were to buy another, I think it would be the Custom with the wide red trigger.
Old June 21, 2018, 09:14 AM   #11
gnystrom

There are thousands of LCPII's in the marketplace and I have not heard of one firing by themselves. I carry mine in a back pocket wallet holster on a regular basis.
I do agree that I like the trigger system on the LCP custom but the LCPII with it's slightly reshaped frame and better sights, is a much easier gun to shoot accurately.
Old June 21, 2018, 12:42 PM   #12
9mm

I have owned 2 lcp in my life, both over 200-300 rounds FMJ and JHP, never had a problem expect for accuracy, which is why I sold my last one. I really could never hit anything with this gun nor my old sig p932 slim 9mm came out around 2012. The lcp trigger sucks, very long and felt like I was hanging on a pull up bar falling off.. It was 100% realible for me, the new lcp 2 has some mix reviews about take down lever popping out and trigger problems. For me I now carry a quality sig p238 with 300+ trouble free rounds.

I don't believe in high round counts in carry guns. If you want to practice go buy a second or rent one IMO.
Old June 21, 2018, 01:43 PM   #13
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnystrom View Post
There are thousands of LCPII's in the marketplace and I have not heard of one firing by themselves. I carry mine in a back pocket wallet holster on a regular basis.
I do agree that I like the trigger system on the LCP custom but the LCPII with it's slightly reshaped frame and better sights, is a much easier gun to shoot accurately.
You mean it is a gun "you can shoot more accurately. Please do not count all in that comment.
By the way there is no such thing called a LCP 2. There is the Gen 2 and the LCP ll. You need to be specific.

I do believe in HIGH round counts in any gun and yes, I usually buy two.
But regardless, high round count come from diligent training and practice. You do need to train with your CCW in that manner. And no one is going to rent a gun for on going training.

----200-300 rounds through a gun does not mean squat. If that is all you shoot then your are not training at all. And even the LCP can be accurate, do not blame the gun, blame yourself and lack of getting out to the range and training.
You do not just pick up one of these guns and think you can master it in a few sessions.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; June 21, 2018 at 01:48 PM.