The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old September 8, 2015, 09:22 PM   #1
HankC1

Park my C&R for now?

My C&R is due to renew but I can't see any near term need to keep it current. Consider to let it slip for now and just reapply when I feel like. Is there any wait period before reapplying?
Old September 8, 2015, 10:18 PM   #2
kilimanjaro

No waiting period, once it's lapsed it's a new application.

I'm thinking about not renewing mine, either, seems to be a dearth of milsurps last two license cycles.
Old September 8, 2015, 11:02 PM   #3
leadcounsel

Probably gonna let mine go too. Dunno.

It's only $10 per year. I haven't bought a C&R gun in years, or had any other benefit from it. Sad to let it go, but it may go bye-bye...
Old September 9, 2015, 12:44 AM   #4
gyvel

Besides milsurps, many companies will give you a discount if you send your C&R to them.

Also, you may come across a C&R on a trip sometime where you can just present your license..

And lastly, any gun made in or before 1965 (soon to be 1966) is automatically a C&R, and that includes a lot of nice Smiths, Colts and others.

Personally, for ten bucks a year, I'd keep it.
SIFE
Old September 9, 2015, 02:17 AM   #5
hartcreek

If I traveled out of state I would have one myself.
Old September 9, 2015, 06:37 AM   #6
CowTowner

Quote:
Besides milsurps, many companies will give you a discount if you send your C&R to them.
Renewed mine a couple of months ago for this very reason. That and I do occasionally travel out of Texas. Always with a couple of copies in my backpack just in case.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old September 9, 2015, 07:10 AM   #7
madmo44mag

The cost and ease of renewal as well as the convenience I'll keep mine. I agree the milsurps market is pretty lame these days but you never know when something you can't live without may come along.
Old September 9, 2015, 11:57 AM   #8
noelf2

Quote:
I'm thinking about not renewing mine, either, seems to be a dearth of milsurps last two license cycles.
And as soon as you do, there will be a plethora.

Quote:
If I traveled out of state I would have one myself.
In my experience, a C&R isn't trusted or understood, by private or dealer sales, out of your state. Just isn't recognized (too easy to forge; can't confirm a C&R online, etc.).

Quote:
Personally, for ten bucks a year, I'd keep it.
Me too!
Old September 9, 2015, 08:44 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

Anyone with, or planning on getting, a 03 FFL (C&R license) should check state law. Some states treat them like dealer's licenses; others make no provision for them at all and they are meaningless; others ban "importing" some firearms by anyone except a state licensed dealer.

Jim
Old September 9, 2015, 09:27 PM   #10
Cheapshooter

Already have it, had it for a long time. Ten bucks a year ain't gonna break me. Figure getting a new one later might be much more of a hassle than just renewing when it is due.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old September 10, 2015, 07:24 AM   #11
jonnyc

I rarely get anything "new" from the importers/dealers, but the C&R most benefits me in buying directly from other collectors on the websites I frequent. Who needs an 01 Dealer for that?
Old September 10, 2015, 09:07 AM   #12
2ndsojourn

"Anyone with, or planning on getting, a 03 FFL (C&R license) should check state law. Some states treat them like dealer's licenses; others make no provision for them at all and they are meaningless; others ban "importing" some firearms by anyone except a state licensed dealer."

Yep, good point. NJ is one of those states. They don't care if the pistol is a flintlock, it's still a handgun that requires a permit.
Old September 10, 2015, 07:52 PM   #13
HankC1

Is there any requirement such as how many purchases during the 3 yrs period to qualify as a collector when renew the C&R. I only bought 2 but sold 3 in the past 3 yrs!
Old September 11, 2015, 12:35 AM   #14
kilimanjaro

There's no purchase requirements as to quantity. Do limit sales to improving your collection, such as unwanted items raising cash buy another, or trades. Excessive sales, whatever that is, will get you looked at by BATFE.
Old September 15, 2015, 07:09 AM   #15
Ibmikey

I keep my license active for Gunbroker purchases or when Aim or SOG pop up with " such a deal". In fact right now, although not C&R, SOG is taking pre order on Bulg Mak's that are in unissued condition. Hopefully the import marking boys will keep it small and professional rather than the billboards of some.
Old September 16, 2015, 11:28 AM   #16
tobnpr

Quote:
Hopefully the import marking boys will keep it small and professional rather than the billboards of some.
Ahh, for the good old days...
Since regs were revised in '02, no more "discrete" import markings.
They must be "conspicuously" engraved, letters no less than 1/16" in height.

That said, some do go seem to go beyond that requirement. Not sure why, IMO it only devalues them.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old September 16, 2015, 09:38 PM   #17
johnwilliamson062

When your 03 expires you are not required to retain your records.

If you don't have an issue in your records I don't see any reason you would want to let it expire @ $10 a year.
Old September 20, 2015, 05:58 AM   #18
HankC1

I'm thinking of parking my C&R mostly because I wasn't buying many in the last cycle and sort of afraid that ATF may reject the renew application saying I have no need for the license and I waste my $30 renew fee!
Old September 20, 2015, 01:04 PM   #19
kilimanjaro

Fortunately, the criteria for issuing the license does not include 'need'. Submit a complete application, pass the background checks, pay the fee, and you have your license. Which is as it should be.

The only gun I ever 'needed' was the first one I bought. Since then, it's all 'wanted'.
Old September 21, 2015, 02:17 PM   #20
johnwilliamson062

I don't think there is any reason or inspection regarding how much it has been used for normal renewals.
Old September 21, 2015, 02:56 PM   #21
OhioAmerican

I don't have a C&R FFL license nor am I an expert, what I do know is that there are no longer surplus of supplies in shops around my neck of the wood. I thought about getting one and start a collection for "display", kind of a history buff myself, but I decided that it is not that practical.
Just couple years ago, you can find European surplus almost in every shops...
Old September 22, 2015, 01:35 PM   #22
johnwilliamson062

There are a lot of C&R firearms that are not surplus.
Old October 6, 2015, 04:48 PM   #23
Taroman

My C&R was severely devalued this year when Bollmberg bought and paid for state government passed a new law that specifically excludes C&R holders from being able to use it for firearms transactions.

Will likely let it fade away, as our rights already have..

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Old October 6, 2015, 05:49 PM   #24
HankC1

Quote:
state government passed a new law that specifically excludes C&R holders from being able to use it for firearms transactions.
Several states have such law now but I don't think there is a list of these states anywhere. My fear is if someone with C&R from these unfriendly states wants to buy my C&R firearms, I may not know it is a violation in these state, mail firearm to buyer's home address and get myself in trouble!
Old October 6, 2015, 08:40 PM   #25
gyvel

Quote:
I don't have a C&R FFL license nor am I an expert, what I do know is that there are no longer surplus of supplies in shops around my neck of the wood. I thought about getting one and start a collection for "display", kind of a history buff myself, but I decided that it is not that practical.
Just couple years ago, you can find European surplus almost in every shops...
A C&R doesn't necessarily have to be surplus. By BATF definition, it is anything over 50 years old. That means, for example, a Smith & Wesson made in 1965 is now considered a C&R.

Of course, there are also newer weapons that are specified on the BATF "list" that are also C&Rs after being specifically petitioned for revised status by individuals and approved as such by BATF. CZ82s are a good example.
SIFE